Widex clock question, "Foreign"... "British Product"?

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Peter Planapo, Oct 12, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Peter Planapo

Peter Planapo Registered User

Mar 23, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hi all,

I recently got hold of a Widex chiming clock probably of the 1930s. The face states "Widex" and "Foreign", the back plate also states "Widex" and "Foreign".

I had never heard of Widex.

An internet search for Widex came up with lots of Widex hearing aids, but also one Widex clock. It's a very similar 1930s Napoleon hat, though a striking clock not chiming. The face states "Made in England" and the back plate states "Widex" and "British Product", and is jewelled while mine is plain.

The first 3 pics are my Widex Foreign, the last 3 pics are the Widex British Product I found.

Could it mean they were happy making striking movements in Manchester, but chimers were beyond them so had to be imported?

Now, I've seen the word Foreign with the foreign maker's name, e.g. Haller/Foreign, but I've never seen (insert British name)/Foreign.

It's a bit like seeing Smiths Foreign, or Garrard Foreign on the back plate. However, I'm inexperienced and these may well exist.

Any ideas? And does anyone know the fate of this company?

Peter

20191012_131631a (Large).jpg 20191012_131850a (Large).jpg 20191012_131921a (Large).jpg Widex on ebay 3a.jpg Widex on ebay 1.jpg Widex on ebay 2a.jpg

2. new2clocks

new2clocks Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Apr 25, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Peter,

I am not familiar with Widex, but Mikrolisk.de indicates that the tradename and / or trademark Widex was registered to two different (apparently different) Swiss companies - Adolph Obrecht SA and Sindaco SA. A mark was registered by the former in 1940. There are no pictures or descriptions of the Widex trademark.

So, I suppose that Widex could have been a Swiss parent company of a U.K. subsidiary, or visa versa.

I think the key to answering your questions requires a better understanding of the history of Widex. Unfortunately, there is nothing on this board regarding Widex, but perhaps someone has information on Widex.

Regards.

3. Peter Planapo

Peter Planapo Registered User

Mar 23, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thanks for that, yes I'd like to know more about Widex but information seems sparse.

The book Clockmaking in England and Wales in the Twentieth Century by John Glanville and William M. Wolmuth doesn't mention Widex at all, nor Manchester as a place where clocks were made.

Apparently the British Museum have a good collection, so I might pop over there next week for a look.

At least, I have the satisfaction of owning something a bit uncommon!

Peter