Why NOT to keep old yellow watch crystals

Brad Maisto

Oct 1, 2000
Grandview, IN
Country
Region
While looking for a watch to post in the “Threes a Crowd” (or something similar) thread, I came across this 60-second Elgin timer that I had saved the “original” yellowed plastic crystal. Much has been said about these old discolored plastics “outgassing” and causing steel watch hands to corrode. There was even an old rubber band, that was no longer “elastic”, holding the crystal and bezel in place. I plan to stop using rubber bands and trying to save “original” crystals. Lesson learned the hard way.
Brad Maisto, KY Floral #44 Secretary
4F23ABBB-CBFC-4C8E-895B-AE1D34E32BCF.jpeg A2CF77DE-231D-4799-8A80-88CDD8B0D212.jpeg DF038999-7197-442B-A221-2EEC7DD6C976.jpeg

Reactions: musicguy and grtnev

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
Every time I get a watch with a plastic crystal, the first thing I do
is pop it out directly into the garbage can. I do know that some
of the plastic crystals are fine and do not "outgas" but I like glass
crystals. I like the way they look, feel, and the weight associated with
them as well.

My buddy at Daves Watch Parts always has a great selection.

Rob

grtnev

NAWCC Member
Jan 18, 2009
Minden, Nevada
Country
Region
Every time I get a watch with a plastic crystal, the first thing I do is pop it out ……….. I like glasscrystals. I like the way they look, feel, and the weight associated with
them as well.

Rob
Same here. When I send a watch in for COA, a standard part of that process, for me, is a new alloy mainspring and new glass crystal.

Richard

topspin

Dec 14, 2014
Country
Region
I can vouch that there is a strong correlation between "the watch came to me with a yellowed crystal" and "the hands were decidedly rusty".

The rubber band was probably put there by a non-watch person, either the original owner or a trader, who didn't see it as a good investment of time & money to do anything else.

As a collector who likes to see my watches running, I cannot think of a good reason not to replace such a crystal, any more than I can think of a reason to not replace consumable parts such as oil filters on an old car.

Bernhard J.

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 10, 2022
Berlin, Germany
Country
Region
This is the first time I read about the corrosive action of plastic crystals. Perhaps a matter of when they were made? I admit that I myselfe never hat a watch with yellowed plastic crystal.

Cheers, Bernhard

Reactions: Brad Maisto

gmorse

NAWCC Member
Jan 7, 2011
Breamore, Hampshire, UK
Country
Region
Hi Bernhard,
This is the first time I read about the corrosive action of plastic crystals.
The very early 'unbreakable' crystals, the ones which usually exhibit a yellow tint now, were made of a cellulose compound, and they did degrade and produce corrosive by-products. They were also extremely flammable! Ask any elderly cinema projectionist.

Regards,

Graham

Uhralt

NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2008
Country
Region
Hi Bernhard,

The very early 'unbreakable' crystals, the ones which usually exhibit a yellow tint now, were made of a cellulose compound, and they did degrade and produce corrosive by-products. They were also extremely flammable! Ask any elderly cinema projectionist.

Regards,

Graham
That material would be celluloid.

Uhralt

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
This patent assigned to the E. Ingraham Co. specifically says celluloid. Sounded like a great idea, but it wasn't likely that much was known about some of the dangers associated with celluloid, such as the outgassing. As I recall, it was known early on that celluloid was explosive (as in the case of exploding billiards balls) and flammable.

viclip

NAWCC Member
Jul 20, 2018
Country
Another thought: could old rubber bands cause corrosion??
Rubber bands sure cause a black streak to form over silver cases, let me tell you! I suspect that they contain sulphur. I know that sulphur will react with silver but I leave it to someone with a background in chemistry to opine as to the interaction between sulphur & nitrate cellulose.

Uhralt

NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2008
Country
Region
Rubber bands sure cause a black streak to form over silver cases, let me tell you! I suspect that they contain sulphur. I know that sulphur will react with silver but I leave it to someone with a background in chemistry to opine as to the interaction between sulphur & nitrate cellulose.
Rubber does indeed contain Sulphur. The Sulphur is added to the raw rubber to harden and stabilize it. This process is called "vulcanization".

Uhralt

viclip

NAWCC Member
Jul 20, 2018
Country
Rubber does indeed contain Sulphur. The Sulphur is added to the raw rubber to harden and stabilize it. This process is called "vulcanization".

Uhralt
lesson learned ... no more rubber bands around my silver cases anymore

GeneJockey

NAWCC Member
Mar 2, 2012
San Francisco Peninsula
gjselgins.blogspot.com
Country
Region
Hi Bernhard,

Regards,

Graham
Ah, nitrocellulose! Back in the early days of Biotech, we used to use nitrocellulose filters a lot. It was always fun to hold one in tweezers, and light the bottom of the filter with a bunsen burner. *FOOF!* bright yellow flame, and gone in an instant.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Reconnaissanceman
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Illinois Watch Company by Kent