• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

Why has this flywheel got paper glued on it?

NEW65

Nov 17, 2010
United Kingdom
Country
Region
Hi Chaps,
Just have a query - I bought a clock that had been serviced about 10 years ago. I soon realised that the movement needs another service! It will need at least 15 bushings including the chain wheels! I have never had a movement that has needed all the 3 chain wheels bushing front and back!
Anyway, whoever did the job 10 yrs ago has glued two pieces of paper on the chime flywheel. I have since overhauled the movement, all seems okay so far, but I wasn't sure whether to remove the paper from the flywheel or not?!
Can you advise on this please? Is it a disadvantage to leave this fixed on?
Thanks as always.
1629235793980.png

Last edited:

chimeclockfan

NAWCC Member
Dec 21, 2006
WI
Country
Region
Vain and utterly inefficient attempt to slow the chimes down by plugging the airholes in the flywheel fan.
Remove the paper since it'll eventually fly off itself. Looks like two adhesive paper stickers were used.

Reactions: NEW65

NEW65

Nov 17, 2010
United Kingdom
Country
Region
Thanks chimeclockfan for the info :) The quarter chime on St Mich/Whitt is really quick especially now I have done the movement. The drive weight is correct though. I haven't tried it on Westminster just yet :chuckling:
I will carefully remove the paper and I think you're right, they are adhesive bits of paper. I have never seen this done before. Apparently he was a well known and respected clock repairman lol

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
do you think all that bushing wear is from the last ten years? perhaps the last servicer didn't bother with bushings because they were too busy glueing paper onto the fan.... :)

NEW65

Nov 17, 2010
United Kingdom
Country
Region
You're probably right Bruce as the wear was significant. Those chain wheels had really sloppy pivots, all 6 of them! There was some wear in the upper train as well, even the flys! I don't usually mess about doing them although I have done warning wheels many times over the years.
Your post made me smile - perhaps he overhauled the movement with tape 10 years ago and that was the last remaining bit on the fly :chuckling:

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
I don't think it was but the stickers could have been put there to 'fix' a slipping fly?
Willie X

NEW65

Nov 17, 2010
United Kingdom
Country
Region
Thanks Willie, I didn't think about that. Maybe I should leave the tape on then? Worry is whether it'll fall off into the mechanism. Not sure what to do now. If its taken off chances are the quarter chime will be a little faster and they are quick now. If the fly is slipping on the arbor that wouldn't be good!

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
• Let down all the springs.
• Remove the corner nut at the fly and loosen the nearest corner nuts 1 turn.
• Carefully, 'cheat' out the fly.
• Remove the paper tape.
• Check the friction of the fly and correct if necessary. It only take a little friction.
• Pop that fly back in and see how she goes.

Note, make sure the fine toothed fly and 5th wheel are on the chime side.

Willie X

JimmyOz

Feb 21, 2008
Gold Coast Qld
Country
Region
Check the weights to see if any was added and/or try the lightest weight on the chime and see if that slows it down. Maybe also check the makers name and see if the weights are right for the movement.

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
Those bits of paper don't look 10 years old to me, perhaps it was a later mod?

NEW65

Nov 17, 2010
United Kingdom
Country
Region
Thanks everyone.
I removed the fly and the sticky paper and the fly was quite loose on the arbor. I corrected that and refitted the flywheel.
Result - I’ve never seen a movement chime as quickly as this one on the quarters, even on St Mich and Whitt it’s rapid.
Jimmy, the weights are correct for this movement. I tried a lighter weight to power the quarter and it slowed the rate down a little. It certainly doesn’t lack power :chuckling:
On the other hand it’s funny how some brand new movements are noticeably slow! Hoping the new owner is going to be happy with it. Unless I fit a lighter weight I cannot think of anything I can do to slow it down a little? Any thoughts?
Thanks again :)

chimeclockfan

NAWCC Member
Dec 21, 2006
WI
Country
Region
No other way to slow the chimes unless you replace the flywheel with one that has centrifugal weights.
Easier to tell everyone it plays ROADRUNNER chimes instead.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Is there room for a bigger fly? Someone may have messed up the original fly and replaced it with an improper one. Then added the stickers to make amends.
Willie X

NEW65

Nov 17, 2010
United Kingdom
Country
Region
I tested the fan for tightness first (before removing the flywheel), by holding the warning wheel arbor and turning the fan to check for resistance. It felt too loose on the arbor. I removed the fly as Willie suggested and made the fan slightly tighter fit on the arbor. It was pretty straightforward. I was going to glue it on but decided against that.
Willie, there may be enough room for a larger flywheel.
I just wonder if I could weight the fan (slightly?)

Tim Orr

NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Member
Donor
Sep 27, 2008
Boulder CO
Country
Region
Good evening, New!

Whatever you do, don't glue the fan! Slippage is absolutely necessary to prevent breaking off the stop pin!
(Don't ask me how I know this!)

You could try tightening it a bit more. It would be good to use a stopwatch to check how fast the clock strikes to see if the tightening is changing things. If it isn't, you'll need to look elsewhere for the problem.

Best regards!

Tim Orr

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I agree. A fast chime is usually synonymous with a loose fly. Try tightening it a bit more, but don't make it so tight it can't give a little to protect the stop pin. If that doesn't change things, then go with Willie's suggestion of a larger fly. Don't add weights.

NEW65

Nov 17, 2010
United Kingdom
Country
Region
Just to update you all, I removed the stickers and decided to leave things as is. The fly is as tight as it can be on arbor and I don’t think it’s now slipping after I attended to it. To be honest this is the best as I can do . I don’t think those bits of paper made a noticeable difference slowing the quarter chimes down. I removed them because I feared them falling off into the movement! And thanks Tim for mentioning not to glue the flywheel fan, it did cross my mind but glad I didn’t now!
The drive weight is correct and I suppose in hindsight I could have fitted a lighter drive weight but as ‘chimeclockfan’ said, I’m selling it with Roadrunner Chimes :chuckling:
It’s being delivered tomorrow- I’ll just tell the buyer that the chimes are the result of a good professional service job :chuckling:
I have to say that the Original Kieninger Movement in this clock took me a few days to get right, it’s been one problem after another with it! Persistence paid off, finally!!
Thanks to you all :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mishellmcgee
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-