• We are aware of the performance issues with the forum. These are due to problems with Comcast's shared lines in the Columbia, PA area. On December 15, we signed a contract to bring a dedicated fiber line to the forum servers. It should take somewhere between 30 and 90 days to install. Thank you for your patience.

Why Does This Happen?

Don1965

Jun 27, 2021
Country
Good Morning All!

I have two Seth Thomas clocks, the Rival and the Rex. When I wind the strike side to tight it throws off the strike count on the hour. I can fix it, it's not a problem, but just like to know why it does it. My other ST clocks don't do it. Both the Rex and Regal have 89 movements. Thanks!!! Don.

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Pineville, La. (central La.)
Country
Region
Good Morning All!

I have two Seth Thomas clocks, the Rival and the Rex. When I wind the strike side to tight it throws off the strike count on the hour. I can fix it, it's not a problem, but just like to know why it does it. My other ST clocks don't do it. Both the Rex and Regal have 89 movements. Thanks!!! Don.
Probably the lever that stops the strike train (the one that stops the wheel next to the fly) is a little too high. Sometimes when the power is stronger, it will jump the pin rather than cutting it off. Watch it after winding and if it jumps, bend it downward very slightly until it cuts off the train every time. If that’s not it, let us know

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Pineville, La. (central La.)
Country
Region
I don’t know why this posted three times. Will a moderator please delete this one and two of the above? Thanks
Will

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
If not what wow said, look down below that stop lever and make sure the warning pin is being well caught/blocked by the sickle shaped wire. The pin should hit that wire lever about 1/8" in from the tip and the catch angle can't be too steep or the pin will go by. Also, sometimes these levers are out to far from the wheel or the stop pin is loose, or bent. The leaver tips can be rounded off also. Willie X

Reactions: wow

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3号缐
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller