Why does my wooden clock movement stop ticking even though it is in beat?

Gage_robertson_collector

May 4, 2021
West Hartford, Connecticut
Country
Region
I have had this clock on the wall for about a month now. I spent many hours figuring out all this issues with the strike side of the movement, after determining that there was a bent lever which runs along the locking wheel on that side, however, the clock is still having issues keeping time and worst of all staying ticking. I will stand at the clock for an hour or so at a time, perfecting the crutch by slightly bending it until the beat is spot on perfect, and no matter how perfect I get the beat, the clock will only stay ticking for an hour or two at a time (at most) I have already checked the winding barrel on the time side, and the strings that go onto the pulleys are not being obstructed by anything. The only thing that I could imagine would be an issue is that because the case is not exactlly level, the weight on the time side rubs aganst the inside wall of the case as it goes down. But I am not sure that this would be enough of a problem to make the clock stop completly? Thanks for any help with this, as usual.

- Gage

T.Cu

NAWCC Member
Sep 26, 2020
Country
Region
I don"t see a picture of the clock, or know anything about it's condition.. But, how much weight are you using on each side?
People who love wood works movements will surely help you out, but photographs are usually requested first.

daddyrider

Dec 10, 2021
Slovenia
Country
In my case, i had a problem with pendulum hook. The hook didn't sit flush, so the pendulum was rocking by it self, causing a big power loss and eventually the clock stoped.

Gage_robertson_collector

May 4, 2021
West Hartford, Connecticut
Country
Region
I don"t see a picture of the clock, or know anything about it's condition.. But, how much weight are you using on each side?
People who love wood works movements will surely help you out, but photographs are usually requested first.
Got it working. The passage hole for the suspension spring on the crutch had to be widened so the suspension spring could move freely inside of it. Before the suspension spring was tightly clamped to the crutch by this little passage I am not sure what you call it. Here is a photo by the way:
EBD4E2D6-2C06-448C-8DDB-228697B0A586.jpeg
49A4FC6E-30C0-42CE-A538-D1393C5F3FFF.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndyB821
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Ptolemy's Course of the Planets displayed by CLockwork by Tom McIntyre