why can't i get my pc ebook reader to show all figures in books using googlebooks

Discussion in 'Horological Books' started by davestanda, Feb 26, 2013.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. davestanda

davestanda Registered User

May 23, 2011
    hello , i downloaded an horological book from googlebooks..at first i was using pdf readers, then i used an ebookreader..a couple of different ones...i also downloaded the same book on my android tablet.. Thing is i can see, say for example fig. 2 when reading the book on my tablet, when reading on my pc i can't ,even though i tried downloading each format goole offers either , pdf or epub...Does anyone know why this happens? that the scan of the same book ,you can only see the complete figures and pages on a tablet and not a PC with an ebook reader:???: is there any program or setting that i don't know about...Anyone else have this problem?? I would be grateful for any help...thanks...

2. davestanda

May 23, 2011
    Rich watkins gave some reasons on his site on why Figures the plate drawings in a vintage book don't come up Three points should be noted.
    • There are significant problems with some of the Google books; missing plates, badly scanned plates, missing pages and, all too common, only one volume of a set digitised. Very common is that folding plates have been scanned without unfolding them! This problem is extremely serious because some or all of the text without usable plates is often unintelligible and so useless. The unprofessional approach to making books available on line is very disappointing.
    • The availability of the "full view" of a Google book varies by country and it depends on local copyright laws. United states law places all books published before 1923 in the public domain. In contrast, in Australia an old book enters the public domain 50 years after the death of the author, and so it can be difficult to determine if a book is still under copyright. Google is very conservative, the cut off date of 1855 corresponding to an author dying in 1955 and so about 120 years old on his or her death!, assuming the book was written at age 20.
      Book availability is flagged; for example USA only? Because this list has been compiled in Australia, links to USA only books could not be provided.
      Please, if anyone adds a book to this list could they note the country in which it was accessed.
    • Many of the books are of marginal interest, but they have been included all on the basis that it is not for one person to decide what other people are interested in.

3. davestanda

May 23, 2011
    Which is understandable thing is that MY TABLET's ebook reader still is able to read the figures and plates in The watchmakers handbook by Sauier ...Again i tried almost every epub and pdf reader and for some reason i can't get my PC to show all the drawings...I bring this back up because i just lost out a bid on a hard copy of this book...although it seems paperback copies are only 20 somedollars..

4. davestanda

May 23, 2011
    Is this a non issue for some:???: I don't understand the point of coping all these books if the drawings and plates are not in the copy...How can you compare or understand some of what you are reading if there are no examples pictured....Yes the text are great, but all in all you don't have the whole book...