Who's the maker

Bill Manders

Feb 21, 2008
Prince George
Country
Region
Hi all,
I have a clock that seems to have no maker name on it, although I must say I have not taken it out of the case.
On the rear of the movement it states "British made". I believe that might be because it would not be politically correct to state made in Germany at the time period this might have been made. There is also a tag on the back door stating "Rene Meyer" who I find had a shop in Switzerland that sold costume jewelry and watches etc.
If needed I will take it out of the case to see if anything is on the front of the movement, but as for now with my clumsiness, etc. I did not really want to.
Hopefully someone can identify the movement as is,
Thanks in advance,
Bill

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
Re: whose the maker

Is that 'Made in England' on the dial, below the 6 ? I cannot identify the clock from the photos but I see no reason to suppose the clock was not British Made. Looks like a British clock from about 1950s, at a guess

René Meyer in Schönbühl is still in business and repairs clocks and watches. I should think your clock belonged to someone who had it repaired there.

JTD

JTD

Last edited by a moderator:

Bill Manders

Feb 21, 2008
Prince George
Country
Region
Re: whose the maker

JTD,
It does say made in England on the dial, and also I had thought it was likely the 50's even 60's just by the style of it. My thought also was that it was bought at Meyers place of business, there was another sticker on the back case that stated it had been repaired in my part ofr the country back in 1996. I had looked up Rene Meyer and found that he was still in business or at least the company name. Sometime in the near future I will take the movement out of the case and see if there are any identifying marks, logo's etc on the front of the movement. I was just hoping that this might with luck be recognizable from my poor pictures.
Thanks for the real quick response, I appreciate your input.
Bill

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Old Time Repair
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Bread Upon the Waters by Tom McIntyre