Who's read the thread?

Discussion in 'Message Board Help & Notices' started by John Matthews, Oct 12, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. John Matthews

John Matthews Registered User

Sep 22, 2015
    Retired Systems Architect
    France
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    A list of members who have read a thread was a feature of the old implementation. If I remember correctly it was only visible to the person who started the thread, but I may be wrong. I think this is a useful feature particularly if you are hoping to obtain feed back from a particular member, for example. Clearly, there would be a space issue if absolutely everyone was listed, but a list of say 20 of the most recent readers, available for everyone to see, not just the thread initiator, I think would provide useful information.

It would appear that it is not present as 'an out of the box' feature and I know that a number of people are working very hard to resolve the remaining problems that need to be resolved, so this can wait for quieter times ... providing others agree that it would be a useful enhancement.

John

2. musicguy

musicguy Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
    It's still there at the bottom of the screen.
    I just checked one of my threads.

Rob

3. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi John,

The list seems to be visible to anyone who's posted in the thread, not just the originator.

Regards,

Graham

4. David S

David S Registered User
    Donor NAWCC Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Male
    Professional Engineer - Retired
    Brockville, On Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I just checked one of the threads that I started and it shows whom has viewed it.

Could it be that it only is visible to NAWCC members?

David

5. John Matthews

Sep 22, 2015
    France
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks for your quick responses ...

I think you are correct only visible to NAWCC members - if possible could it be made available to all who view the post?

John

6. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member Donor Sponsor NAWCC Member

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I changed it to include registered users. As a matter of principle, users who are not registered should not see any names I think.

7. David S

David S Registered User
    Donor NAWCC Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Male
    Brockville, On Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Tom. I think that perhaps it could be more welcoming to registered new comers and may encourage them to be more active and perhaps even join.

David

8. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    Aerospace Engineer
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I've read this thread a time or two, but my username doesn't show up in the list. I haven't posted yet...but maybe after this, it will show? I'm not sure I understand it, though. "Users who have read this thread". Didn't seem to work for me.

Kurt

9. Dave Coatsworth

Dave Coatsworth Super Moderator
    Donor NAWCC Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Camarillo, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I see your name in the list, Kurt.

10. David S

David S Registered User
    Donor NAWCC Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Male
    Brockville, On Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes but it was John that originally asked the question since he couldn't see.

David

11. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    Aerospace Engineer
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Interesting...I don't. :???: I must be a nobody!!

Lirt

12. John Matthews

Sep 22, 2015
    France
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Tom and all - I can now see the list for this thread and for threads that I did not start. Thanks for the very responsive action. Much appreciated

John

13. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi,

We don't see our own names in this list, it wouldn't be logical since we know we've read it.

Regards,

Graham

14. David S

David S Registered User
    Donor NAWCC Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Male
    Brockville, On Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Kurt I don't see you on the list either.

David

15. PatH

PatH Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 5, 2014
    Female
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Interesting, I don't see Kurt, musicguy or gmorse on the list, but I do see my user name - even before I posted.

16. harold bain

harold bain Forums Administrator
    Donor NAWCC Member

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    self-employed in the clock business
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It says "users who have read this thread (total 20), and kurt, musicguy and gmorse show on my screen.

17. David S

David S Registered User
    Donor NAWCC Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Male
    Brockville, On Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Interesting Harold, mine shows users who have read this thread as (Total: 12).

David

18. harold bain

harold bain Forums Administrator
    Donor NAWCC Member

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    self-employed in the clock business
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    David, makes me wonder how stable the software connected with Xenforo is? Wonder if Vbulletin might take us back?

19. John Matthews

Sep 22, 2015
    France
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It does appear that who is on the list varies in what appears to be a random manner - I have 13 showing and the list of names includes only a sub-set of those who have posted. Can someone ask the software support folk, who is supposed to be on the list, please?

John

20. David S

David S Registered User
    Donor NAWCC Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Male
    Brockville, On Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Harold the only other XF site i visit doesn't have this feature enabled. However it is much more stable than this one and they also migrated from vB...so not sure what happened here.

David

21. Tom McIntyre

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The current list I see has 24 names in it, including my own. I just took a screen shot and pasted it in so you could see what I was seeing (before I started typing this part of the message).

upload_2017-10-12_23-23-33.png

22. John Matthews

Sep 22, 2015
    France
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #22 John Matthews, Oct 13, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2017
    Tom - this is what I see as I type ...
    upload_2017-10-13_7-33-43.png

23. Bill Stuntz

Bill Stuntz Technical Admin
    Staff Member Donor NAWCC Member

Apr 6, 2012
    Male
    PC Tech
    Columbus. OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #23 Bill Stuntz, Oct 13, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
    I notice that John Matthews can see Tom's name in the list, but cannot see that I have viewed this thread. Using the Administrator's user editor, I see a significant difference in our privacy settings: Privacy Bill Stuntz.png Privacy Tom.png
    I haven't INTENTIONALLY set myself to conceal my current activity, but I see that Tom & I have it set differently. And looking at a few other users who display or do not display in MY list list vs John's list, I see the SAME difference in privacy settings. As an admin, I can see everyone who has viewed this thread. But it appears that non-admin users can only see people whose privacy settings have a check mark for "Show Online Activity."

BUT... When I edit my own profile with the USER's version of profile editor instead of the ADMIN version, I see no way for the user to set or reset their own privacy settings for online activity. As an admin, I can change it, but they can't change it themselves.

P.S. I'm going to set myself to show online activity. As an administrator, I believe that all registered users have a right to see what I have or have not looked at. And I wonder whether ALL users should be set that way. I suspect that the current settings were carried over from our old software, and that most users don't know whether the fact that they've viewed threads is visible to other users, or not. I didn't know that mine wasn't visible - but it is now.

24. John Matthews

Sep 22, 2015
    France
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Bill - thank-you for your investigations.
    I can confirm that your name has appeared in the list that I now see - at a point after Dick C on the list I previously posted. In addition John Hubby and BillS have been added at the end of the list. So it looks as if the list is in the order of viewing. I agree, I cannot see where I set a flag for online activity in the profile. I assume there is a default setting for all users - that being so a couple of questions.
    1. what is the default setting for each type of member, viz. registered, NAWCC member, administrator?
    2. does the difference in setting explain all the differences between, the list Tom sees, what you see and what I see?

John

25. Bill Stuntz

Apr 6, 2012
    Male
    PC Tech
    Columbus. OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #25 Bill Stuntz, Oct 13, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
    1) I think the settings were imported from vB. I don't know what the default setting for new members is.
    2) Tom & I can see everything because we're admins. I assume that's true of moderators, too, but I haven't checked. Which implies that we couldn't detect the "missing" viewers unless we log in as our non-admin alter-egos & compare lists.

In my crystal ball, I can see privacy arguments about this. I assume some online privacy conscious users might not want to reveal which threads they've viewed. My personal opinion is that it should be visible to all registered users, but not un-logged-in guests. At this point, I don't want to over-ride the current settings for everyone until people have had a chance to express their opinions. My GUT says that it should default to visible with an optional opt-out. But at the moment there's neither an opt-in or an opt-out avaliable to users.

P.S. Until a decision is made, I'll be happy to change the setting for any user who requests it.

26. John Matthews

Sep 22, 2015
    France
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Bill, I agree with your GUT feeling for the default 'visible with an optional opt out', I think it would be useful if the setting was be visible in users profiles.

John

27. Bill Stuntz

Apr 6, 2012
    Male
    PC Tech
    Columbus. OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I just did my bad "editing a recent post to clarify" while you were typing.

P.S. I just did it to THIS post too! You were set as if you had opted out. Based on your last post, I just opted you in. If I'm wrong, let me know & I'll change it back.

28. John Matthews

Sep 22, 2015
    France
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Bill - I was away for a while - I can now see my name in the list as the first person - which probably confirms the order is chronological - given that when you start a thread you are taken to the initial post. I also appear in the list of migrated threads - and the list is again chronological as far as I can tell, e.g I checked a post that I started on the old platform, another user posted after the migration, to which I replied - in this case I appear second after the other user, as you would expect.

John

29. Tom McIntyre

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    If this is controlled by a user setting, I am pretty sure we can make it a user preference for all registered users. The trick is finding it and changing it. There are hundreds of settings available but there is an administrative feature keyword search that helps.

Since Bill is on top of it, I will let him to this one. ;)

By the way, Steven is fond of :hammerhead:

30. Bill Stuntz

Apr 6, 2012
    Male
    PC Tech
    Columbus. OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Do you mean this one? :mallet:If so, I'll make it respond to :hammerhead: as well as :mallet:

31. Tom McIntyre

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I only saw the name but I suspect that will do.

If anyone sees a missing smilie like :name: please let Bill know.

32. John Matthews

Sep 22, 2015
    France
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Okay - so I'm now confused - my name has disappeared - has an administrator changed my permission ?

or - earlier today I tried to access the WTWW forum and to do so I changed my browsing preference - there was a box to indicate I wanted to contribute to the 'what's it worth' forums. When I saved the change the box disappeared - given this looks like a bespoke add-on option - what does the bespoke code do on save? - Could this have caused my on-line presence to revert to conceal? I suspect that changing permissions code can have unexpected results - it might be best left to the experts, if indeed my presence status was reverted when I saved my browsing permissions - i.e. did all the permission flags that are not displayed to a standard user, revert to a default values.

John

33. Bill Stuntz

Apr 6, 2012
    Male
    PC Tech
    Columbus. OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I don't know how it got changed, but it was turned off again for you. And I KNOW I turned it on for you yesterday.

34. John Matthews

Sep 22, 2015
    France
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Bill - I gather you have changed it back - as I am now visible again. I suspect it was changed / reverted to a default value when i saved my preferences as explained above.

John

35. Bill Stuntz

Apr 6, 2012
    Male
    PC Tech
    Columbus. OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I've been doing some testing. It appears that any time a user changes anything under his privacy settings, "Show current activity" is reset back to un-checked. :eek: So he disappears from the "Has viewed this thread" list. I'm testing to see whether it hapens if setting other preferences has the same side-effect.

P.S. Changing general preferences like number of threads/posts per page or checking "Discussing Values" also resets it. It's not just the user-setable privacy settings that affects it.
    Now I have to figure out how to FIX it!

36. Bill Stuntz

Apr 6, 2012
    Male
    PC Tech
    Columbus. OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #36 Bill Stuntz, Oct 14, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
    :lightbulb: I THINK I have the problem fixed. I had to allow Registered Users to become INvisible in the MB for the options to BE visible in their profile's privacy settings.
    I'm kinda of 2 minds about this. My GUT says everything I (or others) do on the MB should be visible to other users. Then again, there are times that I don't want people to jog my elbow while I'm REALLY concentrating on something and don't want to be interrupted.

I'm reporting my own post to initiate admin/mod discussion on whether this setting is advisable, or not.

37. roughbarked

roughbarked Registered User

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW, Australia
    Country Flag:
    I'm sure I set my status as invisible but I still see my little green square. Does anyone else? is the question.

Edit: Ok, it is probably a green dot. My eyes sometimes need a better background.

38. BillS

BillS Registered User

Nov 17, 2014
    Columbus, OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I don't see the green dot. You can probably see yourself.

In my REAL administrator persona, I see it. You can't hide from me. :cop:

39. roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW, Australia
    Country Flag:
    #39 roughbarked, Oct 16, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
    I can't even see your REAL administrator persona.

Edited by Bill Stuntz while impersonating roughbarked: I see my green dot while I'm impersonating you. But BillS has logged off.

40. Bill Stuntz

Apr 6, 2012
    Male
    PC Tech
    Columbus. OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    P.S. The green dot can be difficult to see, depending on the Avatar. I had to edit the original photo I used as my avatar so it would include white space at the top, because of my green dining room walls. And Napoleon's hat brim would have been cut off because of the way the photo is squared off when it's converted to an avatar. My Avatar would have been mostly the face of the clock if I hadn't done that, too.

41. roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW, Australia
    Country Flag:
    It is a strange thing. I've seen my name in other threads but the very thread that is about this phenomenon, is the very one where I don't see my name.

OK. I spotted it after I posted this but I'm convinced it wasn't there beforehand.

42. Bill Stuntz

Apr 6, 2012
    Male
    PC Tech
    Columbus. OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    If you're invisible, your name is supposed to disappear from that list.
    Gotta leave for work... back later.