Who's on line

Discussion in 'Member News and Views' started by dweiss17, Nov 23, 2013.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Retired from Graphic Arts
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    Never having gone there before...it was interesting to see who and the number of people who were looking at the NAWCC MB.

The number was about 46...most interested in various different Forums or categories listed here. The time was about 11:45 AM. 46 members out of a possible 16,000 members...to my way of thinking the ratio was not too good...I did not have a calculator handy to get the proper mathematical result 46 into 16,000.

I am sure it would have been miniscule.

Still...what would most of us interested in horology do without the National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors?

BTW: How many NAWCC members open the Message Board?

2. DJH584

DJH584 Newbie

Jun 21, 2013
    Coach Driver
    Clacton On Sea
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Good morning dweiss from a rather damp UK.

Using your figures, the number of members actually signed onto the board represents 0.28% of the membership.
    However as I type there are 45 members signed in (which is roughly the same percentage) and 411 guests looking at the board. I wonder how many of those guests are in fact members or registered users? No doubt the number of signed in members will vary during any 24 hour period due to the different time zones.

Very true. I for one am glad that I found this board as, no doubt, are others.

Regards

David

3. David S

David S Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Male
    Professional Engineer - Retired
    Brockville, On Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yup I am very glad this board exists as well. Too bad there wasn't some way to turn more "guests" into NAWCC members.

4. FDelGreco

FDelGreco Registered User
    NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Member Sponsor

Aug 28, 2000
    Male
    Retired chemical engineer
    Novelty, OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here is how the numbers are read: Right now as I type this, it says, 564 users, 37 members, and 527 guests. "Members" mean registered members of the MB, not NAWCC members. Those names in bold are NAWCC members. Right now, 17 of those 37 members are bold, so only 17 NAWCC members are on the board. The names highlighted in green are new MB members; I can't tell if they are bold or regular type.

Frank

5. Robert Gary

Robert Gary Member, NAWCC Board of Directors
    Director NAWCC Member

Feb 26, 2003
    Male
    Southern California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I think you will find that the numbers vary considerably as to the time of day and the day of the week. My guess is that the highest numbers will be found in the evenings of the business week as the weekends are reserved by many for family and necessary chores and activities.

RobertG

6. richiec

richiec Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Male
    automotive warranty inspector
    Brick, Ocean, NJ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have to admit, I am on this board more than the average person. I read all of the posts that pertain to what I am interested, mostly watch related with a side interest in tortion clocks. I don't try to analyze how many people are on the board, most access the board when they are looking for something, need help or are just curious. If all of the members spent all of their time on this board, it would probably shut down due to sheer overload. Remember, people use it for specific purposes, not as a social network. Please, let us not get like twitter or facebook.

7. John Hubby

John Hubby Principal Administrator
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You should not read too much into how many NAWCC members (or other registered users) are on line at any given time other than to use the numbers as an indication of total user participation here. The thing about the information being discussed is that it represents only who is on line at that point in time. An hour later the number may be the same but it is virtually certain it will be a completely different set of people.

Regarding the "guests". That can be anyone whether registered or not, or it can be search bots of which there are many. Regardless of your registration status, if you read the Message Board without logging in you will show up in the "guest" category.

And, there us MUCH more NAWCC member participation here than any of the speculation posted. I've just checked the "NAWCC Member" user group category and we currently have 5,984 NAWCC Members registered on the Message Board. That's about 38% of our membership, and that number has about doubled over the past two years. Tom McIntyre has reported "somewhere" that about 10% of all NAWCC members regularly use the Message Board, meaning they have multiple posts since they registered. Of that group quite a few are very active and like most user groups others may only post infrequently. Of the total registered, half or more are lurkers who check in and read but don't post. This is not out of the ordinary for most message boards.

Hope this will be of interest.