Who's Mark??

tom427cid

NAWCC Member
Mar 23, 2009
Moultonborough,NH
Country
Region
Hi,
Shutz Mark, a cooperative in Silesia(Poland) about 50 miles from Gustav Becker. They made a good quality movement,and the cases seem to be a little more elaborate.Particularly the use of figured veneers. Don't remember the dates,but I think they were contempory with Becker. Check the case back because you might find a stamp in the wood.
Hope this helps.
tom

Richard T.

Deceased
Deceased
Apr 7, 2005
Country
Region
I don't speak German but I think Schutz Marke is the same as Trade Mark. The actual maker is the other initials on the banner and the eagle etc that make up the mark.

Looks like R & K and it is listed in Kochmann Page 498 with almost no information. I don't really understand the mark or Kochmann's entry. We know that there are some errors in Kochmann and I don't have the Lexicon. Perhaps Doug Stevenson or another German expert can expand upon this.

Best,

Richard T.

Last edited:

Burkhard Rasch

NAWCC Member
Jun 1, 2007
Twistringen
Country
Region
Hi Richard,
You´re right:Schutz-Marke is Trade Mark or "protected mark".You have to look for a firm with the initials R&S K,whereby K either stands for the family name if the firm was e.g. owned by brothers or-if R and S are companions in one firm-K could be a location.Sorry,I don´t know any more,hope it helps nevertheless.
Burkhard

Richard T.

Deceased
Deceased
Apr 7, 2005
Country
Region
Thanks Burkhard!:thumb:

Best,

Richard T.

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
As others have already stated, Schutz-Marke is not a maker's name.

The mark on your clock is that of Ruttman & Klein, Kempten, hence R&K K.

According to Schmid's Lexikon der Deutschen Uhrenindustrie this company was started sometime before 1877 in Kempten (Bavaria). Very little seems to be known about the firm, but in 1888 they had an advertisement in the DUZ and were described as 'Bavaria's Greatest Clock Establishment' and also that they dealt in french alarm clocks and spring and weight drived regulators.

Nothing else much seems to be known although in 1966 they appeared in a trade directory as dealers in wrist watches.

Hope this may help a little.

JTD

BIG D

Mar 2, 2004
Memphis Area, TN, USA
Country
Region
Thank you all for the replies.:D

I was thinking the Shutz Mark was German for Trade Mark so to speak.

JTD, What you say looks and sounds right. Thanks for the time and effort you put forth to help along with all the others.

Don

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
For the sake of correctness I ought to say that I made a typing error in my earlier message - the name of the company is Ruttmann & Klein and
not Ruttman & Klein as I wrote.

Apologies.

JTD

tarant

NAWCC Member
Jul 6, 2008
Wroclaw
Country
Region
It's Ruttmann & Klein , established in 1877 in Kempten (Germany)

Our 2021 National Meeting in Hampton Roads Virginia
Topic related ad experiment
Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alynn Legal
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions