Wholesale Clock suppliers?? (Please delete if inappropriate)

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by NEW65, Jun 19, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. For the new NAWCC home page
    Click this image at the upper left corner of this page.
  1. NEW65

NEW65 Registered User

Nov 17, 2010
    Male
    Deals in modern reproduction floor clocks.
    United Kingdom
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Chaps,
    I just wondered if any of you folks know where I can buy clock material at wholesale prices?
    I know a few folks that supply clock material but of course no one ever discusses the supplier!
    I have no intentions of buying tonnes of clock material - just small amounts had crossed my mind.
    I am unsure if i am allowed to add this post - if not I do apologise and please delete.
    Thank you as always.
    :)

2. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    clock material? What sort?

There are a number of suppliers to the trade in the UK, Cousins, M&P, John Wardle, H S Walsh all spring to mind.

3. NEW65

NEW65 Registered User

Nov 17, 2010
    Male
    Deals in modern reproduction floor clocks.
    United Kingdom
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hiya, thanks for the reply. I am aware of the suppliers that you mention but I was after a wholesale supplier not the 'middle men' suppliers. Thanks again :)

4. wow

wow Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 24, 2008
    Male
    Retired Music Minister
    Pineville, La. (central La.)
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Don’t think you will find any unless you are a retailer and plan to buy in large quantities.

5. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    what is it you want to buy?

6. bruce linde

bruce linde Technical Admin
    NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    i read that as 'how can i buy these parts cheaper than at the usual suppliers?'

the answer is: you can't. they buy in quantity, they buy frequently. they have built and maintained relationships with their suppliers... to our benefit.

wholesalers don't want to waste time on small amount orders... there's nothing in it for them.

your best bet is to be a smart shopper and compare options (including shipping and timing) for best choices.

7. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    For this to take place here's always a
    'buy-in'. The buy-in can be in dollars, or in units. The more well know a company the higher the buy-in. Today many companies are huge monopolies, so for those you can forget-about-it.

An importers licence is probably the best first step in most cases today.

I agree with Bruce. In the clock racket, you can usually get discounts. IF one company won't give you a discount, or at least free shipping on a large order, another one will.

That brings up the major problem with clocks and related items. Low to no turnover! Ha

WIllie X

8. Jim DuBois

Jim DuBois Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jun 14, 2008
    Male
    Magnolia, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Most of the companies offering clock parts are small concerns. In some cases the people selling the parts have a direct and often semi-exclusive arrangements with the parts makers. There are not a lot of wholesalers in the flow of parts for clocks. Usually, it is a short logistics path, maker to parts seller and no intermediaries. I can't speak to watches, just clocks.

9. claussclocks

claussclocks Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 14, 2013
    Male
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Some of the parts suppliers I have known go to Germany and India and purchase container quantities of materials on an annual or semi-annual basis and either ship it when full or combine with other types of buyers then when the container ships to the U.S. the contents are delivered to their respected buyers. Obviously, this takes a good deal of planning, knowing your customers buying habits, and the ability to sink some capital into a longer term investment.

10. Bill Ward

Bill Ward Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 8, 2003
    EE (spec. acoustics) now medicine
    USA
    Years ago I wrote to a manufacturer of kitchen style movements in India. The minimum order was 750 units- and it took them about a year to reply. Defective movements were not returnable. The price was about half that charged by the dealers here, but the shipping was not included. Customs can be a hassle, especially if you're not in a major port city.

11. Jim DuBois

Jim DuBois Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jun 14, 2008
    Male
    Magnolia, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Dealing direct with foreign manufacturers is not in my experience a smooth road generally speaking. I attempted some years ago to set up certain parts to be made in India. The net of that effort was I found written agreements were not honored, timetable and schedules were smoke and mirrors, precision measurements were made with a yardstick, price quotes were whatever they thought might cause us to buy, and the net price was guaranteed to be something substantially more than quoted. One item was quoted to me as 30 days for production, 30 days for shipping, $3 per unit in quantities of 500. 11 months later I received 77 units and the price LESS shipping was $14 each. Net price was something over $30 for an item I could buy from Merritts or Timesavers for $35 at that time, quantity 1. Another non-clock related item I had made in the US was costing $2.80 each. Our Japanese manufacturing partner convinced others that they could do it for less. Nearly a year later I got my first shipment, something like $10.50 each, for 100,000 units. Take it or leave it. We were so far arrears in backorders we had to pay the price and take them. And that was from our "partner."

Tough to play in these fields, our parts suppliers that endure all this IMO earn every dollar they mark a part or piece up.

novicetimekeeper likes this.