Who was...........

Discussion in 'American Pocket Watches' started by Jon Hanson, May 26, 2007.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Jon Hanson

Jon Hanson Registered User
    NAWCC Member Golden Circle

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    Boston, Ma.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Ajan Kuningas?

S.Aalto:???:

2. Fred Hansen

Fred Hansen Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Country Flag:
    These are names I see on 16 and 18 size Illinois private-labels and they are usually also marked with New York as the location.

The most common version seems to be an 18 size 17 jewel 2-tone open-face that is marked with both the Aalto and Kuningas names.

The most interesting S. Aalto watch I've seen was a spectacular 2-tone 16 size A. Lincoln that was marked with the words "Railroad Grade" on both the dial and movement. This one wasn't marked with the Kuningas name.

Fred

3. Mike M.

Mike M. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 31, 2009
    Male
    Hamburg, Germany or Central Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Ajan Kuningas seems to be Finnish for "King of Time", so I will assume that S Aalto was likely a Finnish jeweler in New York?

MJKauz and Jerry Treiman like this.
  4. topspin

topspin Registered User

Dec 14, 2014
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Aalto is Finnish for wave (like an ocean wave) which kinda sounds like it might be a marketing term for how the watch operates, rather than a surname. However, it is surprisingly difficult to find a Finnish adjective beginning with S that would go nicely with it. I found only "säädettävä" (adjustable.)

5. PatH

PatH National Program Chair
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Dec 5, 2014
    Female
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I haven't been able to find an S. Aalto, but there are several references online to people with surname Aalto. Most notable is Finnish architect and designer Hugo Alvar Henrik Aalto (1898-1976).