Who to work on old Mido swiss watch

Discussion in 'Wrist Watches' started by Blueman2, Sep 10, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Blueman2

Blueman2 Registered User

Aug 18, 2011
    Inherited my Dads old wristwatch. It is a Mido engraved on the back with his initials and gift date, his 13th birthday, April 1946.
    The back is roll marked or stamped with ANTI-CHOC, STAINLESS, WATERPROOF,AUTOMATIC arranged radially around the back

I have discovered that Mido was a middle of the road Swiss watch company that is now part of the Swatch Group.

I would like to get it running again, it appears to be in decent external condition although I am sure it is worn internally.

How do I go about finding a craftsman who can work on it and rebuild it if need be?
    No meaningful monetary value but a lot of sentimental value.

Thanks for any comments or suggestions.

IMG_6913.JPG IMG_6914.JPG IMG_6915.JPG

viclip likes this.
  2. glenhead

glenhead Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Telecom Engineer
    Williamson County, Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That's a good-looking example of a vintage Mido. I've sent you a private message where we can discuss getting it running again.

Glen

3. Blueman2

Blueman2 Registered User

Aug 18, 2011
    Quick update, I wore it for a day and while it started running, it ran down when I took it off for the night. It stopped about 4 hours after I took it off. I don't know how long it should run without being worn.
    When I put it back on and reset the time, it would not keep time so it definitely needs some attention.
    Have contacted Swatch and they offer a free repair assessment.
    We'll see how it turns out.
    My earliest recollections of my Dad include this watch, not going to give up on it easily.

4. richiec

richiec Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Male
    automotive warranty inspector
    Brick, Ocean, NJ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You have to wear an automatic for a while to totally rewind it but I would assume that this watch has accumulated dirt and the oils are dried up making it not run correctly. You probably shouldn't wear it much until you have it serviced as you are doing more harm than good.