Who needs bushings? Show us your best!

Grant Perry

Jun 5, 2002
Ottawa-Canada's Capital
Country
Region
Alright,
I come across these beauties from time to time, so everyone must have a picture or two to share. This repair was done on a Canadian made Pequegnat clock. It looks like 1965 was the last overhaul, and its still running! What's the best that you've seen?

Attachments

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Grant, i thought this is the correct method to bush a clock?? :?|:?|
This looks like it was done by the clock master we recently spoke about.
I think i have one to share i will get it posted soon.
Thanks for sharing these repair basics with us.:thumb:

Grant Perry

Jun 5, 2002
Ottawa-Canada's Capital
Country
Region
Sooth,
These repair guys must have attended the same school. I have come across a few like this now and surprisingly enough I have not found too much damage to the pivots....How were the pivots on your clock?
gp

RJSoftware

Apr 15, 2005
Loxahatchee, Florida
Country
Region
What I dont understand is if someone was going to take the time and effort to do something like that, why not just drop solder into the bushing hole, then file out?

But, I guess they would not have broaches and/or needle files either.

RJ

Ken Knox

NAWCC Member
Feb 1, 2007
Brooklyn, Iowa
Visit site
Region
I have gotten several movements in the shop that has this same type of "repair". I believe the "repair" person didnt have a means of letting down the springs for dissasembly so this was the best they could do.

Kenny

Attachments

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Grantmjp said:
Wow Kenny,
That one is just plain ugly :clap:
Do you notice that these guys also use way more solder then necessary?
gp
Probably electrical solder, or plumbers solder.
But on the plus side, it kept that nice clock out of the land fill until a proper repair could be made.

Ken Knox

NAWCC Member
Feb 1, 2007
Brooklyn, Iowa
Visit site
Region
Yes it looked like plummers solder. This movement also has the fan fly soldered so where it wouldnt slip. This kind of "repair" is fairly common in my area making me wonder if its coming from the same "repair "person.

Kenny

J

Jim D.

Ken,

Do you always use this term so losely?

Jim D.

Ken said:
This kind of "repair" is fairly common in my area making me wonder if its coming from the same "repair "person.

Kenny

Thyme

Banned
Sep 18, 2006
metro NY area
Ken said:
Yes it looked like plummers solder. This movement also has the fan fly soldered so where it wouldnt slip. This kind of "repair" is fairly common in my area making me wonder if its coming from the same "repair "person.

Kenny
These 'repairs' with solder might be quite old. These days, it would be much easier and quicker to do a similar kluge using epoxy glue.

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
I saw a soldered fly on a ogee that was bought in a antique shop in the eastern townships of Quebec.Who knows maybe the same guy.:eek:

Joe Cavanaugh

Oct 5, 2005
This is what I found when I took the face off my latest auction find. My first impression was that the escape wheel cock had been broken and soldered, but it looks to be a piece of brass soldered on to act as a bushing. The clock is a little Waterbury cottage clock. It also has a blob of solder on one side of the fly. Sounds like a helicopter. I will now have to reread the thread on removing solder. Please excuse the photography. My camera does not do well with close-ups. This was shot through my 10x jeweler’s loupe.

Joe

Attachments

Tzmandevil

Mar 20, 2006
Where ever my wife tells me
www.cloxmonkey.com
Country
Region
Joe said:
This is what I found when I took the face off my latest auction find. My first impression was that the escape wheel cock had been broken and soldered, but it looks to be a piece of brass soldered on to act as a bushing. The clock is a little Waterbury cottage clock. It also has a blob of solder on one side of the fly. Sounds like a helicopter. I will now have to reread the thread on removing solder. Please excuse the photography. My camera does not do well with close-ups. This was shot through my 10x jeweler’s loupe.

Joe

Joe, it looks like it is cold solder; a term used when the solder is allowed to just melt and then cool, before the item you want to weld is heated up. Cold solder is dull and pitted. If it is cold solder, it will just break off without any really effort, simply because it really did not bond to the underlying pivot.

Taz

Tom Kloss

NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2003
N.E. Pennsylvania
Country
Region
Hi.
How's this for a fix on an antique French pendulum?

Tom :bang:

“Sometimes you really don’t know if your being rewarded or punished”

Attachments

Scottie-TX

Deceased
Apr 6, 2004
Mesquite, TX
Country
Region
"Cost of solder - $.05"
Final product: "Priceless"
http://links.pictures.aol.com/pic?id=2480ZSRlwqk5eIMeuEYdcf7DJOpGsexR864Sv4xQp5Fd3Ig=&size=l

Grant Perry

Jun 5, 2002
Ottawa-Canada's Capital
Country
Region
Some of these repairs would never be witnessed by the owner as they would be hidden from sight, but can you imagine getting your French clock back with the pendulum looking like Tom's! Too funny. :clap:

burnz

Inactive User
Jan 24, 2006
Country
Actually I don't think Tom's pendulum was a repair but an attempt to add weight to the pendulum to possibly slow down a fast movement.
If your going to add weight--probably as good of way as any---lol.

Cactus50

NAWCC Member
Jan 28, 2001
manor, Texas
Country
Region
I have had several French clocks that had the pendulum weighted like this. These clocks were all "bad marriages" and to get them to work the installer used this method of "lengthening" the pendulum as there was no room in the case.

Thyme

Banned
Sep 18, 2006
metro NY area
Klossee said:
Hi.
How's this for a fix on an antique French pendulum?

Tom :bang:

“Sometimes you really don’t know if your being rewarded or punished”
I think it could use a little more solder... :clap:

Richard T.

Deceased
Deceased
Apr 7, 2005
Country
Region
Greetings all,

Below are a couple of examples. One with a piece of wire to hold the pivot in place, the other with Rathburn bushings (we have had previous discussions about them).

Regards,

Richard T.

Attachments

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
One with a piece of wire to hold the pivot in place,
I love that one! Whats with the cute little curly-cue in the middle? Very resourceful repair - at least he figured out what the problem was :)

burnz

Inactive User
Jan 24, 2006
Country
Sooth--I'm aware of that fact. If you notice I had an "lol" at the end of my comment.
I think the person was trying to add weight as so many do. That's why I said (with tongue in cheek) if you're going to add weight---might as well glob solder on the back of the pendulum!
Of course I have seen a mantel or two that had no room for a longer pendulum rod--then it becomes a bit of trial and error.

Tom Kloss

NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2003
N.E. Pennsylvania
Country
Region
shutterbug said:
One with a piece of wire to hold the pivot in place,
I love that one! Whats with the cute little curly-cue in the middle? Very resourceful repair - at least he figured out what the problem was :)
Shutter'

That one really took some imagination. I think the curly-cue is an attempt to create a sprig effect to give some pull to the wire.

Tom :)

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
That one really took some imagination. I think the curly-cue is an attempt to create a sprig effect to give some pull to the wire.
Could be, Tom. But more likely his method of tensioning it so the length was right
:?|:)

bangster

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 1, 2005
utah
Country
Region
And how come he soldered the Rathburn? Run out of screws?

bangster

Thyme

Banned
Sep 18, 2006
metro NY area
Grantmjp said:
Wow:
Thanks Jerry. I didn't realize that flux could cause so much damage.
gp
I'll bet that's not flux. Looks like the idiot used acid core solder. :mad:

Thyme

Banned
Sep 18, 2006
metro NY area
Jerry said:
bangster said:
And how come he soldered the Rathburn? Run out of screws?

bangster
He did not use a screw because drilling a hole in the plate would cause irreversable damage. :%

Here is one where a guy don't know difference between a sheet metal screw and a machine screw. :bang:
Or maybe that was all he had lying around and he wasn't about to splurge a few cents on buying the correct screw. Can you imagine any workshop that has no hardware inventory at it's disposal?

"If the only tool a man owns is a hammer, he will tend to see every problem before him as a nail."

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Well, you gotta admire his strength, anyway. If it resists, just crank it a bit harder, I guess :)

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Here is a good one too.:mysad:
A piece of mainspring soldered to movement to push the pivots to the side.
At least it was a repair , i guess.
I hope the customer was not charged alot for the job though.

Attachments

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Sorry everyone.I really messed up on my pictures.Wish i knew how to delete these and start over.
Not the best of my posting abilities.:bang:

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Thanks Sooth, good suggestions.
I really goofed here.

leeinv66

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Mar 31, 2005
Launceston Tasmania
Country
Region
Here's one just in. This is one way to bush that I wouldn't recommend:bang: Otherwise, a nice Waterbury movement.

3.jpg

Cheers
Peter

David Robertson

Jan 6, 2003
Country
Region
Tie to the ends of those cords that hang down on German count wheel clocks to activate the strike and synchronize it with the time.

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Jerry, just don't sell them on ebay, or they will end up back on a clock:eek:

bangster

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 1, 2005
utah
Country
Region
Make them into a necklace or bracelet, and give it to the wife of your enemy.

bangster

burnz

Inactive User
Jan 24, 2006
Country
Jerry,
Perhaps you should keep them as visual aids/examples to go along with the program you are working on. A picture or slide on a screen is one thing---passing a few of these around to the group to examine is yet another.