Who made this movement.

tliette

Feb 13, 2014
Greenville, Ohio
Country
Region
I've found an ogee that is a no name, can anyone identify this movement? Compared to others this movement has a very unique plate on it. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Ted

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
I believe the movement is by Elisha Manross, about whom much information can be gleaned from the message board. It is worth your time to do a search. Your movement looks like the one in this thread:

Elisha Manross 8 Day Lyre Movement Query

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
Now that I've had time to do a little looking about, I can also say that the Bulletin contains much information on Manross. Perhaps a good place to start is Lee Smith's article, "Elisha Manross: The Clockmaker's Clockmaker," in the October 1993 Bulletin (see link below, but you must be an NAWCC member signed to nawcc.org to access it). A picture of your movement can be found on page 544, figure 1.

http://docs.nawcc.org/Bulletins/1990/articles/1993/286/286_541.pdf

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
Well, perhaps the clock, like the movement, is by Elisha Manross. Not much of a label to go on, but Manross did sell clocks under his own label as well as sell movements to the trade. Curious to me is the glass, which seems to place Magdalen College in Germany. Of course, it is in Oxford, England. The glass has been found elsewhere, in this Birge, Peck, & Co.:

Birge, Peck & Co. 8 Day Clock with Magdalen College Glass, ca. 1849. – ClockInfo.com

tliette

Feb 13, 2014
Greenville, Ohio
Country
Region
Well Steven, it's beyond me, if you think it's a Elisha Manross clock your word seems gospel with me. Too bad there isn't a label on the inside but I realize that we can't have everything. I'm just excited that you've educated me to the place we're at now. Is there anywhere a replacement label could be found? If anything more comes to the forefront please pass it along, I've become interested in the man of Elisha Manross.

Thank you for sharing your wealth of knowledge,
Ted

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akrampe64
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff