Who made this clock?

clarke

Oct 25, 2009
Hermosa Beach, CA
Country
Hello,

Years ago a friend gave this to me (in a box of parts) and I’ve never known the maker. It’s 34” high and referencing Fig. 57 of Steven Conover’s “Striking Clock Repair Guide”, it appears to be French, but it could be a good German imitation since the craftsmanship is not as refined as a Fritz Marti that I have.

There are no trademarks. On the front of the dial (at about 2 o’clock) is what appears to be a “Z”, but I’m not sure. I had a new hour wheel cut to replace the original one with broken gears (shown for reference).

The back plate has the serial number (9567) and the pendulum length (6).
I recently took a good look at the movement mounting bezel on the back of the case and saw something I had missed before.
I was aware of the same serial number (9567) being there, but for the first time I noticed the small initials “H.R.”
Can this information help anyone guess who the maker is?
Thanks.
c.

Attachments

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
I can't help with the ID, but I think you mistyped the initials, which seem to be H.B.

Ray Latham

Mar 3, 2010
Gloucestershire
Country
Hi, It looks like F.B. to me. If it is it is probably Swiss.

In the "Clock and Watch Trademark index of European origin" the only F.B. I can find are Swiss. There are four different ones but they are all Swiss. No German or French F.B.'s

Worth a look that way may be>

clarke

Oct 25, 2009
Hermosa Beach, CA
Country
Hi Ray,
I took another shot of the letters and it now appears that it's "KB".
Also, there's some kink of mark between the letters. Don't think it's a full stop (period) as there's not one after the "B".
Does this help?
c.

Attachments

zepernick

Deceased
Aug 8, 2004
Country
Region
The Germans did make copies of roulant movements, but they used "lantern" pinions, and didn't have bells, the plates were fastened with nuts. (from what I've seen in 30 years)
Even with the coffee cup held in one hand, turning on the light in the room, going to the bookcase, taking down 150 Jahre Lenzkircher Uhren, and finding two large color photos of one of Lenzkirch's high-quality Massiv movements -- they have solid pinions, bells, and 2.1mm thick plates held together with pins -- took about 3 minutes :).

Last edited:

laprade

Zep, as I said, "from what I have seen". I handled quite a few of the "inferior type" and hadn't come across the Lenzkirch Massiv movements.

In fact, in all my years handling old clocks in Eire and the Uk, Lenzkirch clocks are not that common. Do you have a picture of a Massiv? How similar are they to the French type?

Ray Latham

Mar 3, 2010
Gloucestershire
Country
Hi Ray,
I took another shot of the letters and it now appears that it's "KB".
Also, there's some kink of mark between the letters. Don't think it's a full stop (period) as there's not one after the "B".
Does this help?
c.
Hi,

Couldnt find any K.B.'s but have found one H.B. It looks as though the initials should be in a diamond shape but the details I have are.

Blessing, Heinrich,
Schwab. Gmuend.
Germany 096/7b KNOO, MFC Jewellery.

Not sure if thats any help but thats as much as I can get from my books.

Cheers,
Ray.

jmclaugh

Jun 1, 2006
Devon
Country
Region
There are a few unusual things about the backplate on this movement in that the bell stand, hammer and pendulum/suspension don't look like what it would have started out life with. The adjustment hole on the dial above 12 indicates it would have had a Brocot or similar suspension fitted which is now gone. Other than that it looks a typical French roulant to me with the pendulum length, 6 French inches, also stamped. It is not unusual for many of these movements to be stamped with a maker or finisher who cannot be identified. I am not however at all familar with German or other look alike French movements.

Last edited:

laprade

Someone certainly has had a go at that movement!

Pictures show what you should have. hands, bell stand and hammer.

Also if you look at the suspension bracket, you will see the locating hole for the "regulator" block. picture of what should be there: choice of two types.

I have a spare proper bell stand, if you want one.

Attachments

clarke

Oct 25, 2009
Hermosa Beach, CA
Country
Thank you guys for all the input.
You're very observant and I've learned a lot about this clock. The crudeness of the rear plate was what made me doubt it was French. But now you've opened my eyes that it's just been hacked. It would be easy to order hands, bell stand and hammer, but the suspension is another matter. I don't know if I'll try and fix it. There's no value in it except sentimental. Maybe, when I get the energy, I'll pursue it.
Laprade: Thanks for the bell stand offer, but you better keep it for someone who really needs it.
c.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
36Colors
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre