Who made my 8 day Cuckoo Clock? And any servicing tips please?

Karl Schluter

Jun 23, 2019
Country
Hello, I'm a Horology newbie, I have previously posted in the pocket watch forums but this is my first post here. I brought the pictured Cuckoo Clock sometime ago in going condition, however it was stopping from time to time and my plans are to clean and reoil the movement before using it. I do have a couple of questions I hope the more experienced can help me with, do the chains and their weights require any other treatment a part from a good clean? And can anyone tell me who the maker etc of this clock might be? I gather the stamp in the rear door dates it to September 1976? I noticed someone before me has tried to remove the bellows by prying them off the inside of the case, they apparently didn't notice the outside screws..... I'm also fairly new to servicing any clock, I'll take some good photos of the movement and the position of the wire levers before I start, I have also collected the odd weblink that details working on these clocks but if there is any other advice anyone can give me I'm all ears! Take care, Karl.

Cuck coo 1.jpg Cuck coo 5.jpg Cuck coo 6.jpg Cuck coo 4.jpg Cuck coo 8.jpg

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Yep, Regula. A 45 year run is unusual. So, your clock will probably need bushing work or replacement. Willie X

Vernon

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2006
Country
Region
Assuming that the bellow tops are in rough shape, remove them using an exacto knife cutting the glued joint. Measure and purchase new ones providing a good glue seem so no air can leak. Transfer the metal fasteners.

Karl Schluter

Jun 23, 2019
Country
Thank you Roughbarked, Willie X and Vernon, I'll pay close attention to those areas as I go through it, Cheers, Karl.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
I just snap the bellow off, like breaking a twig ...
Anything that remains stuck on the whistle's top can be easily removed with a sharp knife and/or a coarse sandpaper stick.
It's always a good idea to hold the whistle upside-down while cleaning off the top surface and the air passage hole. This will reduce problems that can result from small bits of wood or glue falling into the whistle's air chamber. Continue by changing over the hardware using the corresponding old bellow top as your guide. I start the little holes with an ice pick and simply push the wire items in, working against a backer. Hold the wire items firmly with parallel jaw pliers and push them in about 2mm at a time.
Then glue your new bellow/s on using a single small bead of Elmer's Glue-all. Everything stays upside-down. Sit a two ounce lead fishing sinker on the top of the upside-down assembly, double check the position, and wait for a couple of hours. Your done, ready to put your bellows back in the clock and put it on it's initial trial. Willie X

Reactions: roughbarked

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Peter,
Sorry, I got carried away. I planned to stop after the second sentence ... Willie

JimmyOz

Feb 21, 2008
Gold Coast Qld
Country
Region
If you use a hot glue gun the bellows are ready to go in minutes, just make sure you glue the proper bellow to the proper whistle!!

Karl Schluter

Jun 23, 2019
Country
Thanks Guys, I'll be sure to have a good look at the clocks pivots and also its bellows, plus the movement overall to see whether its worth going through or instead replacing. Any recommended online suppliers of parts for these? Thanks again, Karl.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
It's a rather common item. One thing to check is the pendulum POST length; a wrong pendulum post can turn into a big problem. Also, the pendulum length has to be checked; that number is stamped on the movement. Willie X

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cona
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff