Who knows this French maker mini morbiere clock

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by P.Hageman, Oct 6, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. P.Hageman

P.Hageman Registered User

Jul 20, 2014
    Forensic science
    The Netherlands
    Country Flag:
    Have this in for repair, looks like quite an early spring driven mini morbiere clock (comtoise). The hour markers on the dial are dark blue and thick. Its only 18,5 cm diameter. It runs for only three days after fully winding. I would have thought it would run for a week or so. Not only the going train is down after three days but also the strike train. Does anyone know if this is normal with this small kind of clock? The dial is marked with "Brenet a Mirecourt" , untill now I could not find the name, pershaps someone with Tardy will be helpfull and look this name up?

Brenet 1.JPG Brenet 2.JPG Brenet 3.JPG

2. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Nice little clock! I haven't seen a Comtoise yet with a signature of the maker. The signatures on the dials are usually the ones of the retailer.

Uhralt

3. Burkhard Rasch

Burkhard Rasch Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Male
    General-and trauma surgeon
    Twistringen
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    These Morbiers-like their weight driven cousins,the Comtoises- were made in a cottage "industry" with numerous participants based on the division of different jobs with verry few known "makers.The signature on the dial refers either to the first retailer or sometimes to the first owner of the clock .Mirecourt is a small city in the french departement Vosges,right in the region where these clocks were made.I daubt that one can nail down a certain maker.
    Best regards
    Burkhard

4. brian fisher

brian fisher Registered User

Jan 20, 2017
    houston, tx
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I agree with urhalt and burkhard. the story of these is pretty similar to the Swedish mora style of clock. almost none of them were signed in any way.

you have a pretty one. enjoy it.

I would assume this would have originally had a wooden cabinet around it?

5. P.Hageman

P.Hageman Registered User

Jul 20, 2014
    Forensic science
    The Netherlands
    Country Flag:
    Thanks for the information. Seems it will be almost impossible to find the name on the dial then, as suggested it probably will be a retailer.
    @ Brian, I dont think these clocks where supposed to be in a case. The have a fixing hook and spikes to keep it away from the wall. So a French hook and spike clock :)

6. Jeremy Woodoff

Jeremy Woodoff Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 30, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Pictures of the movement would be interesting to see.