• Member Voting Now through June 6. Check Your Email for a Link to the Online Ballot. The Ballot Contains Links to Each Proposed Amendment to Bylaws and Articles of Incorporation.

Who is the maker of this clock

gryphonoz

NAWCC Member
Apr 4, 2016
Sydney, Australia
Country
Region
Hi, A friend is asking about this trade mark and I am less familiar with American clocks. Thanks! 271888976_966903237583398_4166461543570408464_n.jpg

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
I have not been able to identify the logo from any of my references, although it does resemble one or two, but not identical.

The movement looks German. Others may know better.

JTD

Yahagi

Dec 16, 2019
Country
Region
I guess I would be looking towards a Carl Werner product made for someone who just traded. The signature is unknown to me.
These are the hands of the clock made by CW. This is how the distance between the drums with springs looks like in CW. Additional pictures of the mechanism would be needed. Anchor and preferably under the shield.

But perhaps the hands of the clock have been changed, and that is the wrong direction of thought.

gryphonoz

NAWCC Member
Apr 4, 2016
Sydney, Australia
Country
Region
Thank you both. After seeing the images of the clock and movement it does indeed look German - although the engraving looks decidedly American. Perhaps made by Carl Werner for the US market?
G.

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
although the engraving looks decidedly American. Perhaps made by Carl Werner for the US market?
There were many, many German firms with the eagle as their trademark, and there were some with the eagle and a snake (if that is what the eagle is clutching) as their trademark.

Although the clock may have made its way to the U.S. at some point in its life, I do not believe this clock was made for the American market.

Regards.

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
There were many, many German firms with the eagle as their trademark, and there were some with the eagle and a snake (if that is what the eagle is clutching) as their trademark.

Although the clock may have made its way to the U.S. at some point in its life, I do not believe this clock was made for the American market.

Regards.
I agree, this was not made specially for US market. As new2clocks says, many firms used an eagle in their logos; Junghans had a very complex logo which included an eagle very similar (but not the same) to the one on this clock.
Also many German manufacturers sold unmarked movements to other firms for them to put in their own cases. Werner did this quite a lot. I have never come across this particular eagle before but I suspect it may have been put on by (or for) a unknown wholesaler. It is an elaborate piece of engraving and I would like to discover who put it on.

Has anybody seen this mark before ? I've seen some similar ones but nothing that matches exactly.

JTD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swthomps
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-