Who is "John Lawrence- Lancaster" Tall case dial

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Jeff Beehler, Sep 14, 2002.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Jeff Beehler

Jeff Beehler Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 18, 2001
    I happend across and came into aquiring a tall case clock. I call it that but it stands only 7 ft. tall. The case is a flat top, mahogany and oak, brass pillars at the pole ends at each side of the door and a 13in. square "heavy' brass dial which has incribed in a circle (where a calendar bit is usually located)below the hand shaft hole "John Lawrence"(engraved in script with all the curly cues) Lancaster. This dial has cast brass corner spandrels and a calendar bit where the second bit usually is. Can anyone shed any light on what I found? I can e-mail pictures on request. The only thing I can find is listed in Disten & Bishop Lawrence, John, Philadelphia c.1790

Thanks in advance

Jeff Beehler

------------------

2. Jeff Beehler

Jeff Beehler Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 18, 2001
    I happend across and came into aquiring a tall case clock. I call it that but it stands only 7 ft. tall. The case is a flat top, mahogany and oak, brass pillars at the pole ends at each side of the door and a 13in. square "heavy' brass dial which has incribed in a circle (where a calendar bit is usually located)below the hand shaft hole "John Lawrence"(engraved in script with all the curly cues) Lancaster. This dial has cast brass corner spandrels and a calendar bit where the second bit usually is. Can anyone shed any light on what I found? I can e-mail pictures on request. The only thing I can find is listed in Disten & Bishop Lawrence, John, Philadelphia c.1790

Thanks in advance

Jeff Beehler

------------------

3. gre406

gre406 Registered User

Oct 6, 2001
    Jeff..Email me photos and I will post..
    Geo

4. David Thomas

David Thomas Registered User

Aug 28, 2001
    UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    John Lawrence worked in Lancaster (England) from about 1762 to about 1800. There is a picture of a clock by him in "Clockmakers of Northern England" by Brian Loomes on page 156. It matches your description.

Regards
    Dave

[This message has been edited by David Thomas (edited 09-14-2002).]

5. gre406

gre406 Registered User

Oct 6, 2001
  6. David Thomas

David Thomas Registered User

Aug 28, 2001
    UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The general style and the engraving of leaves is identical to the dial shown in the book. I am not an expert but I would date it about 1780.

Regards,
    Dave