• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

Who collect's Watch Fob's

PW Collector

Aug 3, 2003
20-30 International Club 14th Annual Convention Sept. 1936 in Stockton, California
Fob was manufactured by Greenduck Co. Chicago

Active 20-30 International had its actual beginnings in 1922 when young men in two widely separated communities of the United States saw the need for a service club for young men. They found that established service clubs were dominated by older men, run by older men and whose officers were invariably much older men.
This realization led those groups of ambitious young men to stray away from existing groups and organize a club of their own -- a club wherein young men would have a chance to engage actively in service to their communities; a club where young ideas, backed by enthusiasm and the energy of youth, could share in civic responsibilities on an equal basis with clubs composed of older men.
These pioneers of two young men's service clubs were located in Aberdeen, Washington where Active International was formed and in Sacramento, California, where 20-30 International had it's beginnings.

Dave

PICT0081.JPG PICT0082.JPG

Stephen Matusek

NAWCC Member
Feb 25, 2015
Sugar Land, TX
Country
Region
Hello everyone. I have been having internet issues plus computer issues but while it seems to work right now, I have a couple of those universal pocket watch keys along with some old pocket watch keys. I also have a straight razor charm/fob & another Masonic fob. I don't like these cartridge razors they have these days rather old straight razors to shave with.

Steve

fullsizeoutput_a01.jpeg fullsizeoutput_a00.jpeg fullsizeoutput_a02.jpeg fullsizeoutput_a03.jpeg fullsizeoutput_a04.jpeg

PW Collector

Aug 3, 2003
I don’t really consider myself a fob collector, but This one caught my eye a few months ago.

View attachment 496554 View attachment 496555
rrstd, these saddle fobs are interesting in that they were used to advertise all types of events and businesses. I like your souvenir one, noting the Frontier Days in Wallace Neb.
Here is another one advertising a saddle maker, Otto F. Ernst of Sheridan, Wyo.
Dave
A little history on Otto F. Ernst Saddlery:
http://downtownsheridan.org/explore/walking-tour/ernsts-saddlery/

17 S. Main St. Sheridan, Wyo.

Started in 1902 by Otto F. Ernst, the saddle and harness shop required help from the entire family. In 1908 the business began its time at this location where the family business remained until 1976. With the rise of the automobile, Ernst thought the days of saddles and harnesses were numbered, so he converted a part of the building into a vulcanizing and re-treading plant and became a distributor for Diamond Tires. He featured the largest stock of automobile tires and accessories in Wyoming. In 1924 the tire business was discontinued, and he went back to catering to the traditional saddle and harness business with western clothing and sporting goods being added to the stock. For years Ernst’s Saddlery drew ranchers, tourists, and dudes into its atmosphere of an old time saddle shop.

PICT0091.JPG PICT0092.JPG

Tom McIntyre

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Donor
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region
It is interesting, but if it works, it could also be dangerous. :eek:

PW Collector

Aug 3, 2003
A fob manufactured by the Whitehead & Hoag Co., celebrating the 8th annual convention of the Missouri State Bottlers Protective Association, in Joplin, Missouri, Feb. 9-10, 1915.
Dave

PICT0067.JPG PICT0068.JPG

Reactions: viclip

PW Collector

Aug 3, 2003
CAT
Holt Bros. Stockton, Tracy, Los Banos, Merced, Modesto
Holt Brothers Stockton, CA.
EARLY COMPANY HISTORY

The Stockton Wheel Company was established by Benjamin and Charles Holt.
The first Holt "link belt" combined harvester was sold, replacing unreliable mechanical geared harvesters.
Benjamin Holt unveiled his version of the steam traction engine with new, patented steering clutches.
The Stockton Wheel Company was incorporated as The Holt Manufacturing Company.
Benjamin Holt tested a steam powered machine that moved on self-laying tracks instead of wheels. He named this invention the "Caterpillar".

A 1910 photo of the Holt Manufacturing Co. along with the Machinery Fob.
Dave

PICT0001.JPG PICT0002.JPG PICT0004.jpg

PW Collector

Aug 3, 2003
U.C.T. United Commercial Travelers Insurance Co.
Fob Manufactured by Whitehead & Hoag Co. Newark, N.J.
The Order of United Commercial Travelers of America (UCT) was formed by eight traveling salesmen on January 16, 1888, in Columbus, Ohio, as a society to provide accident insurance and other benefits for traveling salesmen, or commercial travelers, and their families.
Dave

PICT0087.JPG PICT0088.JPG logo-1888-200.jpg

PW Collector

Aug 3, 2003
With the 2018 baseball World Series now established, the Red Sox vs the Dodgers, I would like to focus on the Red Sox, or more specifically, the Boston Red Stockings and the Hall of Fame member , George Wright, of Wright & Ditson.
Wright & Ditson, Boston, Mass.
No company was more instrumental in the popularization of athletics in nineteenth century America than Wright & Ditson of Boston, Massachusetts.
Founded in 1871 by Baseball Hall of Famer George Wright and Boston businessman Henry Ditson.
George Wright played for the Boston Red Stockings.
Here is my Wright & Ditson baseball fob and baseball bat fob.
Dave

IMG_0629.JPG IMG_0630.jpg IMG_0628.jpg

PW Collector

Aug 3, 2003
Advertising Fob
Heath & Milligan Manufacturing Co. Chicago
Paint & Color Makers
The earliest information I can find on H & M is around 1851
Dave

DSCN0700.jpg DSCN0701.jpg

PW Collector

Aug 3, 2003
Here are a few my 2mm pinfire gun fobs.
2mm Pinfires Around The Clock
Dave's Tick, Tock & Bang Corporation.
The 2 rifles (hour & minute hands), the 12 o'clock & 6 o'clock pistols are not watch fobs, but the rest of the 2mm pistols are watch fobs.
Dave

IMG_2172.jpg

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
Great display, Dave! Thanks for sharing it.

Reactions: Dano4734

grtnev

NAWCC Member
Jan 18, 2009
Minden, Nevada
Country
Region
I’v recently added 5 fobs to my collection that have been created from antique nen’s stick pins which were originally worn either on the lapel (as shown in the first two pics) or centered in a man’s tie half way between the knot in the tie and top of the vest.

I am very fortunate that there is a store close to me that deals in vintage and antique estate jewelry. They have a collection of probably close to 200 men’s stick pins in their inventory. The 3rd pic is a close up of the stick pin shown on the lapel in the first two pics.

I have purchased 8 stick pins of various design to wear. I have also purchased 5 stick pins that have been converted to fobs. The fob in the 2nd pic was originally a man’s stick pin which has been converted to a fob. I have made this type of conversion in order to an add appropriate gold/jewel fob to a gold chain that needed one.

I mention this because this this is a good way to repurpose these pins and create a fob of your own design and liking.

Richard

283B3315-76E1-4B1D-82A6-97EEA4F11D03.jpeg 698B7EA1-2232-4E3C-AF19-442CC5894052.jpeg 3EEA1FC3-0F42-4E7B-966A-B4266132408A.jpeg

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
Great fobs, Allan! Very nice intaglio with the stones unchipped.
Are all of the medals in your hand engraved with the date and event on the back?

Pat

Allan C. Purcell

NAWCC Member
Feb 9, 2013
Germany
Country
Region
PS: I know you like looking at these Pat-So a few more that do belong to me. The coin with the head of Queen Victoria is the so called godless florin of 1849- The filed out coin with one mark on it is Gemany c1900.,( Much like a watch cock) and one of the chains has a Lucifer. The others are sport fobs, the one with the blue enamel is my fathers football fob from 1935-given by the local news paper-"The Sentinel" Stoke-on-Trent UK.

IMG_6523.JPG IMG_6524.JPG IMG_6525.JPG Regards, Allan

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
Thank you! I have often wondered how long the medals were popular. The ones you show are from turn of the century through the 30s so that provides a little background. Thank you for humoring my request. :) Wonderful that you even have one awarded to your dad. Great piece of family history.

As for the seal with two faces, I have a black cameo brooch that has two faces, depending on how you look at it. Very talented individuals who created these.

Thanks again for sharing.
Pat

PW Collector

Aug 3, 2003
Here is a double albert watch chain, with what I believe is called a spinner fob. I'm not sure what the stone is in the spinner.
The chain, brass I believe, is marked on one side of the T-bar, GELDINE REG.D, the other side marked, N.C.R. Co., also on the swivel clips are marked, N.C.R. Co.
On the one side of the double albert chain is a small, non-working, (1-3/8") spur trigger revolver with a spinning cylinder and mother-of-pearl grips.
The watch is a American Waltham model 1883, Grade 85, circa 1905.
Dave

DSCN0782.JPG DSCN0784.JPG DSCN0785.JPG DSCN0786.JPG DSCN0787.JPG DSCN0783.JPG

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
Nice! Love the mother of pearl grips on that pistol.

I believe the stones in the spinner are carnelian (the reddish-orange stone) and bloodstone (green with red spots). These seem to have been commonly used stones in keys and fobs.

Thanks for sharing.
Pat

Reactions: Lee Passarella

Lee Passarella

NAWCC Member
Jul 8, 2015
Country
Region
You're

I believe the stones in the spinner are carnelian (the reddish-orange stone) and bloodstone (green with red spots). These seem to have been commonly used stones in keys and fobs.

Thanks for sharing.
Pat
You're right on both scores, PatH, but PW Collector's bloodstone is an interesting specimen in terms of the dispersal of those "blood" drops. Here's my High Victorian spinner (c. 1880): one side bloodstone, the other carnelian.

IMG_0199.JPG IMG_0200.JPG

PW Collector

Aug 3, 2003
To keep this "thread" going, here is a fob from an early 1900's tailoring company.
Titled: A STITCH IN TIME
Advertising: A. E. Anderson & Co. Tailors, Chicago
Fob manufactured by: S. D. Childs Co. Chicago, Ill.
Dave

PICT0063.JPG PICT0064.JPG

Reactions: PatH

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
To keep this "thread" going, here is a fob from an early 1900's tailoring company.
Titled: A STITCH IN TIME
Advertising: A. E. Anderson & Co. Tailors, Chicago
Fob manufactured by: S. D. Childs Co. Chicago, Ill.
Dave

423072-210efef41cd4857c2c007c3b7f89c716.jpg 423073-f33f756a8317ee4932adae5c951e5878.jpg
Cool! It looks like it could also be used as a thread cutter or winder if all of the indented areas were used. Does it seem that way "in person"?

PW Collector

Aug 3, 2003
Cool! It looks like it could also be used as a thread cutter or winder if all of the indented areas were used. Does it seem that way "in person"?
Pat,
It doesn't cut thread (no sharp edges) or appear to have any winding function. I think it is just in the fob design.
Dave

Reactions: PatH

Lee Passarella

NAWCC Member
Jul 8, 2015
Country
Region

Thanks for sharing.
Pat
While we're still on the subject, Pat, I wanted to share pix of my triple spinner from England. Unfortunately, it's quite petite, so the photos won't show up as well as I'd like. Its three facets are carnelian, bloodstone, and onyx (the first photo) as well.

IMG_0216.JPG IMG_0223.JPG IMG_0224.JPG

CentreKeystone

NAWCC Member
Feb 19, 2014
Attached is a fob apparently made from a trolley union pin. The abbreviation stands for the "Amalgamated Association of Street and Electric Railway Employees." With the introduction of buses the words "and Motor Coach" were later inserted. It is now the "Amalgamated Transit Union" AFL-CIO. The motto is still "Freedom Through Organization."

20190208_170705.jpg

PW Collector

Aug 3, 2003
Back to some pocket watch fobs.
Modern Machinery Fobs:
Circa 1970 John Deere JD 570 Motor Grader

The JD570 was first introduced in 1967, and John Deere credits it with pioneering many of the innovations seen on motor graders today. Before the machine was introduced, graders were straight-framed with solid rear axles. The addition of frame articulation with the JD570 allowed operators to work more efficiently.
In addition, the JD570 introduced new design and development to the saddle of motor graders. It allowed operators to place the blade of the machine into a 90-degree bank in less than one minute. The saddle was also secured to the mainframe with a tapered-pin design.

Dave

DSCN0964.JPG DSCN0963.JPG

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
I don't really collect watch fobs, but I found this one interesting.

Front.JPG Back.JPG

The following site tells as much as you might want to know about the Sandwich Mfr. Co. (possibly more than you want to know). Sandwich Manufacturing Company of Sandwich Illinois

Sandwich, Illinois was named by one "Long John" Wentworth, who named it after his hometown of Sandwich, NH. Sandwich, NH was named in honor John Montagu, 4th Earl of Sandwich, who was said to be the inventor of the sandwich. Time for lunch!

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
I have one other fob, as well, which came with a Leonard Pocket Watch sold in 1918 by S-R Co (possibly = Sears, Roebuck & Co.). I don't know whether it was purchased at the same time as the watch, but as you can see, it is an aviation theme, which brings to mind Lindbergh's trans-Atlantic flight in 1927. It's not completely clear that it is supposed to be Lindbergh, though it may have been inspired by his flight, making the fob a later accoutrement to the watch. It has some vague similarities to the fob shown in the third photo of the following link again (not clear from the text whether that fob itself is supposed to be a Lindbergh fob). Charles Lindbergh Watch Fobs, Charles Oppenheim Design | Collectors Weekly

Dial.JPG Guarantee Paper.JPG Fob.JPG Fob Back.JPG

Jim Haney

NAWCC Member
Sep 21, 2002
Decatur, TN.
Country
Region
Steven,
Yes, you are on the right track. It looks to be a intimation or copy, vaguely of the NY to Paris Fob. Yours has a Eiffel tower and the Empire state bldg, I think :confused:

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
Steven,
Yes, you are on the right track. It looks to be a intimation or copy, vaguely of the NY to Paris Fob. Yours has a Eiffel tower and the Empire state bldg, I think :confused:
Yeah, and the pictures are clearer from the back actually. Lindbergh’s flight did catch the nation’s imagination.

Dano4734

Sep 13, 2010
www.soundclick.com
Civil war era - The Knights of Pythias was founded during the Civil War in Washington, D.C. and was the first fraternal organization to be chartered by an act of congress. This is the oldest one I ever seen from this organization. I have it on my 1860 Waltham

4698BFB7-E871-4A5C-854A-03BA99EDB7F9.png

Last edited: