• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

Who collect's Watch Fob's

River rat

NAWCC Member
Apr 4, 2009
When I first got into this hobby some time's I could not afford to buy a watch to ad to the collection. So to get that collecting bug satisfied we all have I would buy watch fob's at antique fair's and NAWCC mart's and eBay. I would buy watch fob's they were cheap some years back like 5-15 bucks but I did pay a high price for two one made of silver and one from the Buffalo Bill wild west show think I paid 60.00 for the buffalo Bill one. Here are a few I have let's see what you have.

DSC_0017.JPG DSC_0019.JPG

Tim Fitzgerald

NAWCC Member
Jan 2, 2016
Oak island North Carolina
timothyfitzgerald.net
Country
Region
I have some that I have bought over the years. My favorite is one from Savage Arms, where my dad worked before and after he returned from WW2 . Savage was a very prominent sporting & hunting arms manufacturer in the Mohawk valley where I grew up. It was just down the road from Remington Arms. They both set up factories there because of the Erie canal & the New York Central RR. Both made quality guns but sadly Savage went out of business & was bought by a Japanese co. Remington alas had the same fate, I think.
Any way my dad had this Savage fob on his Hampton pocket watch. I have them both, which is how I got started in P/W collecting. 20180902_105735_resized.jpg

River rat

NAWCC Member
Apr 4, 2009
I have some that I have bought over the years. My favorite is one from Savage Arms, where my dad worked before and after he returned from WW2 . Savage was a very prominent sporting & hunting arms manufacturer in the Mohawk valley where I grew up. It was just down the road from Remington Arms. They both set up factories there because of the Erie canal & the New York Central RR. Both made quality guns but sadly Savage went out of business & was bought by a Japanese co. Remington alas had the same fate, I think.
Any way my dad had this Savage fob on his Hampton pocket watch. I have them both, which is how I got started in P/W collecting. View attachment 491475
I started collecting watches the same way. When I got out of the US Navy active duty and my first civilian job did not pay a lot I got a Hamilton 992 cheap out of a pawn shop but could not afford this hobby so that was the last watch for a long while. I get a better job latter working for a city and my Dad gives me my Grandfather Hunter case Waltham pocket watch with a cool Elk engraved on the case it and got me interested back into this hobby when I could afford it. The collection is now a little over board now after 20 years of collecting.

Reactions: Robert Zoerb

River rat

NAWCC Member
Apr 4, 2009
Hi Tim
You were what I call a real river rat. That's what I call the ones that served in Vietnam. I was in Special Boat Unit XI out of Mare Island after active duty I was working as a school custodian the reserve sent me stuff in the mail was having a hard time eating the job paid the rent so the reserve looked good so went into the Naval reserve for extra money after active duty was at the sail loft at Naval Air Alameda they needed BM's at SBU XI and I got sent over there it was halve active duty and halve reserve around 1989 the CO and XO were Seal's they used the PBR's up till the late 1990's we had the MKII I see you used the MKI we also had MATC Mini armored troop carriers for river assault and a type of Boston Whaler called a PBL. Chief Anderson a patrol Officer was over there on the boat's in Vietnam he was a patrol officer in SBU XI we came close to getting activated in the gulf war they had JAG officers come and had us do our wills well it ended so fast we did not go if it lasted longer would of ended up in those two rivers in Iraq. When they closed Mare Island they decommissioned the unit had to find a few other units to stay in long enough to retire. Got to work with Chief Anderson again in a MIUW 103 when he retired we did it out in the field and the uniform camo's and we rang him out of the Navy with a vehicle Jack stand that was the only time he told us a little about Vietnam you guys are hero's in my book and the Special Boat Teams of today the seals use today are from your history. Hope you are doing well. Below a link of my old unit. Going to a reunion of SBU XI in the middle of this month some one got a old PBR haul and rebuilt it and it will be at the reunion. I did get my NEC 9533 combatant craft crewmember qualification took be over a year to get.

Special Boat Unit - 11

richiec

NAWCC Member
Feb 24, 2007
Brick, Ocean, NJ
Country
Region
Tim, thanks for your service, nothing worse than being a sitting duck in the middle of a river controlled by the other side who can fire at you from both sides. Sorry to hear about your disability, if not for that, would you have gotten into horology?

Reactions: Tim Fitzgerald

Clint Geller

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Jul 12, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
clintgeller.com
Country
Region
Hi Tim
You were what I call a real river rat. That's what I call the ones that served in Vietnam. I was in Special Boat Unit XI out of Mare Island after active duty I was working as a school custodian the reserve sent me stuff in the mail was having a hard time eating the job paid the rent so the reserve looked good so went into the Naval reserve for extra money after active duty was at the sail loft at Naval Air Alameda they needed BM's at SBU XI and I got sent over there it was halve active duty and halve reserve around 1989 the CO and XO were Seal's they used the PBR's up till the late 1990's we had the MKII I see you used the MKI we also had MATC Mini armored troop carriers for river assault and a type of Boston Whaler called a PBL. Chief Anderson a patrol Officer was over there on the boat's in Vietnam he was a patrol officer in SBU XI we came close to getting activated in the gulf war they had JAG officers come and had us do our wills well it ended so fast we did not go if it lasted longer would of ended up in those two rivers in Iraq. When they closed Mare Island they decommissioned the unit had to find a few other units to stay in long enough to retire. Got to work with Chief Anderson again in a MIUW 103 when he retired we did it out in the field and the uniform camo's and we rang him out of the Navy with a vehicle Jack stand that was the only time he told us a little about Vietnam you guys are hero's in my book and the Special Boat Teams of today the seals use today are from your history. Hope you are doing well. Below a link of my old unit. Going to a reunion of SBU XI in the middle of this month some one got a old PBR haul and rebuilt it and it will be at the reunion. I did get my NEC 9533 combatant craft crewmember qualification took be over a year to get.

Special Boat Unit - 11
I too would like to thank you for your service.

Clint Geller

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Jul 12, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
clintgeller.com
Country
Region
The fob I wish I had back is a 22K gold "perpetual calendar" made by Samson, Mordan & Co. of London, with a retractable mechanical pencil and a dip pen inside of it. The calendar worked by rotating a cylinder with the numbers 1 through 31 engraved on it in seven columns so that it lined up correctly with the symbols for the days of the week on a stationary ring at one end. It was very elegant.

Tim Fitzgerald

NAWCC Member
Jan 2, 2016
timothyfitzgerald.net
Country
Region
I wanted to go to Art school after high school but my Dad said no because one can't make a living as an artist. So I joined the Navy, They had three boys in the service at the same time. Two in the Army & one in the Navy.
As it turns out I have been making a living as an Artist ever since. Horology is something I have also been interested for a long time. You can visit my Artist website
I was hit in the head by a piece of the RPG & have a form of epilepsy & Agent Orange exposure . The VA is not high on my list of favorite organizations.
I still love the United States & would do it all again. Hoping to skip the shot to the head. We only did what was asked of us. Others have, and are giving more as we speak. Will governments ever learn? I doubt it.

Last edited:

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
I would like to echo what richiec said above, thank you for your service!
And I've seen your paintings and they are good too!
https://timothyfitzgerald.net/

Rob

richiec

NAWCC Member
Feb 24, 2007
Brick, Ocean, NJ
Country
Region
Reading a great book right now, "A Life in a Year" by James Ebert about serving during Vietnam, reasons why people enlisted, etc. Very revealing, I missed the draft by a month, #12!!! Had already given up on college once I got my number, what a fool I was. Luckily became an auto mechanic and nearly 50 years later, am still making a living. I will post some watch fobs later when I get them out.

terry hall

NAWCC Brass Member
Apr 12, 2001
Central North Carolina
Country
Region
here is an older discussion, sorry some of the links are broken ten years later.

As I have the time, I'll try to post a few additional.

Watch fobs

River rat

NAWCC Member
Apr 4, 2009
Tim
My Dad retired from the Navy then went to Vietnam working as a civilian for the US Army on chinooks and Huey helicopters were they picked stuff up for salvage like damage vehicles so like a sitting duck in the air. And my Brother was 17 around 1970 when he enlisted in the Navy he was in VP-46 a P-3 squadron and the VA has not treated him good lately he caught Hep C in Japan it's even in his medical records and they turned him down twice for disability. When they shut down the govt about a year ago they did a hiring freeze in MT we only have one VA Hospital and VA clinics in some of the towns hard to fill positions when there hiring with the back load due to no hiring my brother been through 3 doctors in a year and a half and now seeing only a nurse. The doctors quit or retired due to being over worked. I give him rides to the VA his platelets count are so low he can bleed out if he gets a bad cut. Got to take him Wednesday for a CT scan of his liver at the VA. I wished you guys got treated better through the VA. I retired in 2002 with 22 years of service in the Navy reserve and 4 of them active duty and June 20 I was suppose to get Navy reserve retirement pay you got to wait till age 60 and I submitted the paper work a year in advance and had it signed for as proof they got it. Well no retirement pay yet going on 3 months with out pay you are not the only one not happy. My Family 3-4 generation Navy My Grandfather was in WW1 and WW2 and then my Dad in WW2 and Korea and Vietnam who went in at age 16 and my Brother and then me all Navy veterans me and my brother were born at the Oakland Naval Hospital also a Navy brat. And welcome home and glad your dream of being a artist came true and thanks for your service. Even with the bull we get from our Govt. I would also do it again active duty now the reserve thing another story because I feel they broke a promise to me. Remember the air gun shots in boot camp from one arm to another get a Hep c test I did.

Last edited:

PW Collector

Aug 3, 2003
I see you were in the Navy & that 's, what river rat means. I was i was in Class pbr1/70 NIOTS at Mare Island California. Went over, eight months later my PBR was hit with a RPG . I am 100% disabled
Welcome Home
View attachment 491497
Tim, you mentioned you were stationed at Mare Island. Here is one that might interest you.
This fob is a commemorative of the launching of the U.S.S. California on November 20, 1919, Navy Yard Mare Island, California.
Dave

PICT0050.JPG PICT0051.JPG

River rat

NAWCC Member
Apr 4, 2009
Speaking of Mare Island I was station there twice on my second ship the USS Mauna Kea AE-22 on active duty in 1982 Mare island was sort of our home port when not on west pac deployed for 6 months then when I went into the reserve for SBU XI when doing a week end drill I caught both commands at the same time. If any of you live in the bay area Mare Island had a cool museum on the old base cool to visit think they had a few of those old time cards clocks there but more of the Base history sir Francis Scott Key who wrote our National anthem Grand daughter was married to the commandant of the base and is buried there and the church on base has Tiffany glass windows and Abraham Lincoln was the one who ordered the base during the civil war.
Scan_20150516.png

Last edited:

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
The only fob's I have came with watches
or chains I've purchased. Here is a American made chain
with a UK coin silver sixpences on it(as a fob)

the one.jpeg

Rob

Clint Geller

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Jul 12, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
clintgeller.com
Country
Region
I have an 1853 Seated Liberty half dollar that I purchased inexpensively with a hole already drilled in it, that I use for a watch fob on my silver chain. Back in the day, that was a popular thing to do. Now of course, it would be a crying shame to damage a coin like that, but the hole was already there, and likely has been there since the 1800's, so I'm fine with it. So when I wear one of my silver watches, that's the fob I use. It's a lively coin that would be worth a quite a few bucks if not for the hole. The 1853 Seated half is the so called "Arrows and Rays" variety, on which there are arrows around the date on the obverse, and rays emanating from the eagle on the reverse. 1853 is the only year the mint did that.

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
Nice Dave,
You beat me to it I was about to post my
1925 University of Detroit fob with Adjustable Wrench fob

the one two.jpeg

I have an 1853 Seated Liberty half dollar... that I use for a watch fob on my silver chain
Post a photo Clint.

Rob

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
Fobs also fell into the useful category, like the cigar cutters shown in one of the referenced early threads.

I collect case openers - both souvenir and advertising. I hadn't really thought of them as fobs, but they do have a hole so they could be carried on a chain.

Matching keys and fobs/charms are fun to find, also.

DSC00217.JPG DSC03170.JPG

River rat

NAWCC Member
Apr 4, 2009
Can you post a close up of the Buffalo Bill fob ?, it looks great
Here you go. They show up on eBay every now and then some are over priced I got mine at a antique show some years ago and thought at 60 bucks I paid to much but I am cheap. If your into Buffalo Bill wild west show history there's a cool museum in Cody Wyoming a few hours from me I need to drive through Yellow Stone park to get to Cody. The Wild Bill museum has a section on Buffalo Bill and the biggest gun collection section I ever saw and the largest western art section you being a artist you would love it and then one section on American Indian history. Worth a visit takes two days to see every thing.

DSC_0019 (2).JPG

Last edited:

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
Just for fun...……... look at what is in my photo next to my watch
chain and fob in post #20 (in this thread). It's not a watch(so no place to show it on the NAWCC forum). It is from
the late 19th century. Please don't answer here, no need to disrupt this thread(like I just did).;)
Send me a PM if you want to guess(I'm sure some of you already know).

Rob

kevin h

Apr 9, 2015
cambridge md
Country
I have a few fob's , they are scattered , one of my favorite is a watch I bought had a civil war pow medal for a fob , it depicts dogs attacking a man , I have a few other neat military ones . If anyone wants a coin fob they can be had pretty cheap if they have a hole in them . Pictured are the pow civil war medal , and a saint christopher medallion , I guess they are not intended as fobs but these have been used by previous owners as fobs , that make them special to me

20180904_142211.jpg 20180904_141842.jpg

PW Collector

Aug 3, 2003
This is a rare historical antique 1913 Portland, New York Centennial celebration, old timers tin photo button leather strap watch fob.
On the front of the piece, it features a photographic image of the old timers in the town of Portland at the time of the Portland, New York town Centennial in 1913. It features 9 old men posing,and states above the photo, “PORTLAND CENTENNIAL CELEBRATION AUGUST 5-8,1913.”
Below the photo image is the names and ages of the men in the photo which are:
Standing, back Row:
MORTIMER FRANCIS 84, HOMER SKINNER 85, M.J. MUNSON 86, A.J. SKINNER 84,
Sitting, front row:
DAVID BENJAMIN 84, DAVID MACGREGOR 90, OTIS N. FAY 93, A.T. MEAD 90, MANLEY THAYER 87.

The tin fob button measures 1.64 inches in diameter.
Dave

PICT0001.jpg PICT0002.JPG PICT0003.JPG PICT0011.jpg

Jerry Treiman

NAWCC Member
Aug 25, 2000
Los Angeles, CA
Country
Region
Like many, I do not collect fobs, but have acquired a few that have meaning for me.

Being from Sheboygan, WI I just had to get a Sheboygan Mineral Water fob. ... and it goes nicely with my Sheboygan private-label Hamilton 927.
Sheboyganfobwatch.jpg SheboyganWater_Childs.jpg

My only other fob was available at one time from NAWCC and has my name and member number on the back --
NAWCCfob.jpg

Tim Fitzgerald

NAWCC Member
Jan 2, 2016
timothyfitzgerald.net
Country
Region
Tim
My Dad retired from the Navy then went to Vietnam working as a civilian for the US Army on chinooks and Huey helicopters were they picked stuff up for salvage like damage vehicles so like a sitting duck in the air. And my Brother was 17 around 1970 when he enlisted in the Navy he was in VP-46 a P-3 squadron and the VA has not treated him good lately he caught Hep C in Japan it's even in his medical records and they turned him down twice for disability. When they shut down the govt about a year ago they did a hiring freeze in MT we only have one VA Hospital and VA clinics in some of the towns hard to fill positions when there hiring with the back load due to no hiring my brother been through 3 doctors in a year and a half and now seeing only a nurse. The doctors quit or retired due to being over worked. I give him rides to the VA his platelets count are so low he can bleed out if he gets a bad cut. Got to take him Wednesday for a CT scan of his liver at the VA. I wished you guys got treated better through the VA. I retired in 2002 with 22 years of service in the Navy reserve and 4 of them active duty and June 20 I was suppose to get Navy reserve retirement pay you got to wait till age 60 and I submitted the paper work a year in advance and had it signed for as proof they got it. Well no retirement pay yet going on 3 months with out pay you are not the only one not happy. My Family 3-4 generation Navy My Grandfather was in WW1 and WW2 and then my Dad in WW2 and Korea and Vietnam who went in at age 16 and my Brother and then me all Navy veterans me and my brother were born at the Oakland Naval Hospital also a Navy brat. And welcome home and glad your dream of being a artist came true and thanks for your service. Even with the bull we get from our Govt. I would also do it again active duty now the reserve thing another story because I feel they broke a promise to me. Remember the air gun shots in boot camp from one arm to another get a Hep c test I did.
I have been dealing with the VA since 1975 and can say that the system is broken & can't be fixed. I could write a book of my bad experiences some even horrible I have some good experiences, those I can count on one hand . In fact I have to drive 80 miles tomorrow to the VA clinic to see the PA. that day is shot.

PW Collector

Aug 3, 2003
Watch fob of the Denmark Flag, PAT. JULY 21, 1896
Manufactured by: Whitehead & Hoag Co., Newark, N.J.
PAT. APPL'D FOR
Some of the big manufactures of fobs along with Whitehead & Hoag were: The Greenback Co. Chicago, ILL., S. D. Childs Co., Chicago, ILL., Bastian Bros. Rochester, N.Y., Schwabb, Milwaukee, Wisc., St. Louis Button Co. St. Louis, Mo., Metal Arts Co. Rochester, N.Y., Levens, Attleboro, Mass. & Robbins Co. Attleboro, Mass.
Dave

IMG_0002.jpg IMG_0003.jpg IMG_0004.jpg IMG_0005.JPG

Jerry Treiman

NAWCC Member
Aug 25, 2000
Los Angeles, CA
Country
Region
Some of the big manufactures of fobs along with Whitehead & Hoag were: The Greenback Co. Chicago, ILL., S. D. Childs Co., Chicago, ILL., Bastian Bros. Rochester, N.Y., Schwabb, Milwaukee, Wisc., St. Louis Button Co. St. Louis, Mo., Metal Arts Co. Rochester, N.Y., Levens, Attleboro, Mass. & Robbins Co. Attleboro, Mass.
Dave
I actually show two different issues of my fob (post #34). The one on the watch was made by Noble & Co. and the other was made by Childs. There are differences if you look for them.

PW Collector

Aug 3, 2003
I actually show two different issues of my fob (post #34). The one on the watch was made by Noble & Co. and the other was made by Childs. There are differences if you look for them.
Jerry, yes I do see differences. The first one that popped out, was that the bottle on the Childs mfg'd. one is tilted inward, and the Noble & Co. one is upright. I see other differences also.
Dave

Clint Geller

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Jul 12, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
clintgeller.com
Country
Region
The chain in post #14 is a human hair chain.

Keith R...
Hair chains were quite popular during the Civil War.

Just incidentally, an auction item reported to be a lock of George Custer's hair recently sold for $12,500. Seriously! Hey, I guess it was Custer's last strand. :)

Last edited:

Allan C. Purcell

NAWCC Member
Feb 9, 2013
Germany
Country
Region
The only fob's I have came with watches
or chains I've purchased. Here is a American made chain
with a UK coin silver sixpences on it(as a fob)
Thought you would like to see more sinpence pieces- I don´t know when the chain was made, my guess would be c1900-the earliest sixpence is 1874. The two in the middle are German students fobs(Zipel) the colours on them tell which uni they went to. Most of rhe silver chains in the UK would have had a fob has seen here-for some kind of sport, or a coin-though the upper market there were gold penknifes, seals, pencils and so on. Most people who collect watches have some of these attachments, much like the thread on watch keys.not to long ago.In the last photographs, are at the top,a Sweadish key fob from 1893, and my fathers football fob from 1935736. The sentinel was the local newspaper.

IMG_6169.JPG IMG_6170 (2).JPG IMG_6171.JPG

terry hall

NAWCC Brass Member
Apr 12, 2001
Central North Carolina
Country
Region
Long ago and far away....

Show off your fob/chain.

Some repeated here...
brt fob frnt.jpg brt fob back.jpg elk tooth fob.JPG

I'd say the RR means 'something' and not rail road picked this up many moons ago at an antique 'mall' below GSO airport in an old McLean trucking terminal
holster fob 2.JPG holster fob 3.JPG holster fob1.JPG

This is a real keen kutter fob, beware of imitations, it is enameled,
I thought I had a rear view.... but not found yet...
keen kutter enameled front.JPG

NAWCC Member
Sep 16, 2008
With guns and RR, the only thing that comes to mind is Red Ryder.

NAWCC Member
Sep 16, 2008
After morning coffee, and my brain is semi-functional, maybe Roy Rogers?

PW Collector

Aug 3, 2003
This is a double-albert pocket watch chain with a rotating photo cube (4 photos with beveled glass, silver sides).
The photo cube measures 14.7mm x 10.5mm. The photos are 10.7mm x 10.1mm.
The photo #1 above is:
Wilhelm I; Kaiser Wilhelm I; full name Wilhelm Friederick Ludwig, born March 22, 1797, died March 9, 1888.
He was the King of Prussia from January 2, 1861 to March 9, 1888.
He was the first German Emperor from January 18, 1871 to March 9, 1888.

The photo #2 above is:
Frederick III, born October 18, 1831, died June 15, 1888. Son of Wilhelm I.
Kaiser Frederick III, German Emperor; King of Prussia March 9 - June 15, 1888. He had been Crown Prince for 27 years before his short reign as King of Prussia which was cut short from unsuccessful treatments for cancer of the larynx.

The photo #3 above is:
Wilhelm II, Freiderk Wilhelm Viktor Albrecht, son of Frederick III, born January 27, 1859, died June 4, 1941.
He was the last German Emperor (Kaiser) and King of Prussia, ruling the German Empire and the Kingdom Of Prussia from June 15, 1888 to November 9, 1918. He was the grandson of the British Queen Victoria.

The photo #4 above possibly is:
Tsarevich Alexei Nicolaevich, son of Nicholas II, Emperor and Autocrat of All the Russias from November 1, 1894 - March 15, 1917.

The double-albert pocket watch chain is silver marked (lion facing left), on all the chain links, clasps & T-bar.
London Date Letter D dating 1799
Makers mark of: H B & S; Herbert Bushell & Sons

Dave

View attachment 492161 View attachment 492162 View attachment 492163 View attachment 492164 View attachment 492165 View attachment 492166

IMG_0004.jpg IMG_0005.JPG IMG_0006.JPG IMG_0001.JPG IMG_0005.JPG IMG_0008.JPG

terry hall

NAWCC Brass Member
Apr 12, 2001
Central North Carolina
Country
Region

Clint Geller

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Jul 12, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
clintgeller.com
Country
Region
Old thread with Human Hair chains/fobs

Human Hair Watch Chains, 1870-1900 era

Seemed to be most popular from 1880-1910
I would not doubt that hair chains continued to be popular after 1870, but I've seen several mid-1860s watches with hair chains. It makes perfect sense that a sweetheart would send a loved one off to war with a living memento like that.

Last edited by a moderator: