White House clock I.D.

Ontime

Nov 6, 2012
Anyone know the identity of the tambour clock at WH. Looks like a larger 7-8" bezel, acorn finials, walnut case.

images.jpg

Ontime

Nov 6, 2012
Interesting piece about the clock man. Makes mention that there were 85 clocks at the White House in 1996 ~ love to see that inventory list, I'd imagine more then a few date to the earlier 19th c. As to the one that I started this thread inquiring about, hopefully someone will recognize it. News conference video gives a much clearer image then the photo provided. . . hoping it's distinctive acorn finials will eventually I.D. it.

Levi Hutchins

Oct 21, 2012
As to the one that I started this thread inquiring about, hopefully someone will recognize it. News conference video gives a much clearer image then the photo provided. . . hoping it's distinctive acorn finials will eventually I.D. it.
It looks like an early Chelsea Pilot House Clock.

See one that was sold:
10 Inch Antique Chelsea Battleship Clock Pilot House Model
(may take a while to load)

The Seth Thomas version was almost identical, but Chelsea had the moon style hands.

THTanner

NAWCC Member
Jul 3, 2016
Carson City, Nevada
Country
Region
The clocks in the Situation Room are mostly digital and are changed to match the time in the areas of the world being discussed -

The White House Situation Room Clocks are Rather Interesting | Who2

from the article -

"
So to recap: there are some big digital clocks in the main White House situation room, each showing the time in three separate locations. One version of the clock is constant with White House / presidential time; the other changes according to the discussion.
The only question remaining is: who sets the clocks? The left-hand clock stays the same, but somebody has to decide which cities to feature in the right-hand clock. Maybe there are arguments. “Beijing!” “No, Singapore!” “Beijing!” “Singapore!”
Or “K-I-E-V!” “No, K-Y-I-V!”
That would be a fun job."

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
Reactions: THTanner

isgus

May 26, 2015
Brampton
Country
What a coincidence. I was wondering the same thing when I saw that clock on Friday. I even did a search here to see if someone else had already identified it.

Ralph

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2002
Country
Oops. Wrong capitol for the clock whisperer.

Ralph

Douglas Romero

NAWCC Member
Nov 3, 2001
New England
Country
It is not a Tambour. It is as mentioned in the thread might be a Chelsea pilot house in a made up wooden base to hold it. The picture not good enough to tell if 8 1/2 inch or 10 inch dial.

Doug

Our 2021 National Meeting in Hampton Roads Virginia
Topic related ad experiment
Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
srhuston
Encyclopedia Pages