Which way????

T

time4now

In a previous post I was told "turning toward's the S" will slow the clock down. I can do that clockwise (scuse the pun) or counter c/wise..... which is correct? It seems to be gaining time now not losing :confused:

Member Chapter #1
NAWCC Member # 159449

"scuse mi spelin"

T

time4now

In a previous post I was told "turning toward's the S" will slow the clock down. I can do that clockwise (scuse the pun) or counter c/wise..... which is correct? It seems to be gaining time now not losing :confused:

Member Chapter #1
NAWCC Member # 159449

"scuse mi spelin"

T

Tom Chaudoir

Hi,

Put the little key in the hole and imagine a pointer sticking straight up from the key. Tip your imaginary pointer in the direction of the "S". That's probably counter clockwise.

Here's what's going on inside. Grab your mouse cord with the your forefinger and thumb of your left hand so that your mouse is hanging by about 2 feet. Start the mouse swinging, and note how long it takes to go back and forth while you hold your hand still. Now, with your right hand draw the mouse up to about 6 inches. See how much faster it swings? Shorter pendulum, faster rate.

Now look in the back of the clock while turning that little square. There's a gear (your right hand) that pulls up the suspension spring through a small slot (your left hand). Let it down and it goes slower. Pull it up and it goes faster. It will make sense when you look inside while turning the square.

Regards,

Tom Chaudoir
Milwaukee, WI
America

T

time4now

Thanks Tom.......
I was confused because the S + F were centered at the 9 + 3 positon of the keyhole and I kept turning c-clockwise and it didn't make a difference.I took the clock down and opened the back and observed what you were saying......The adj. is almost bottomed out 1 turn left Maybe(can't increase the pend. travel anymore) so maybe it is something else causing it:???:? Stu

Member Chapter #1
NAWCC Member # 159449

"scuse mi spelin"

T

Tom Chaudoir

Hi Stu,

YOu might still be Ok. Unhook the pendulum and have a good look. Is the rod cast into the bob? There may be a rating nut on the bottom and/or a locking screw. If you can, move the bob down the rod about 1/8".

Regards,

Tom Chaudoir
Milwaukee, WI
America

T

time4now

To answer both of you......the Bob is roughly 1"
or so off the bottom (I'll measure soon)the pend. itself is wire with a fixed hook at the end and appears to have all factory bends etc...No adj. for the bob on pend. I still think the bob is foreign to the clock (doesn't fit well at all on hook).also it has a big I on the one side ....Ingrahm? and seems way to heavy for the movement.The clock is in beat like i said but seem's to have way to much travel and the beat seems to get faster and faster as time goes by.I made a Temp. bob that was about half the weight of the one that came with it and it still is gaining time (although not as much)so I think the problem lays elsewhere even though the bob doesn't seem right.I did notice the crutch has been bent/adj.? at one time! It just seem's like (excuse the laymen analogy)someone is manualy putting pressure on the M/spring arbor and speeding the whole movement up:???:??
I guess I should have put this on the repair fourm......I just thought it was a simple thing I was overlooking :rolleyes:

Member Chapter #1
NAWCC Member # 159449

"scuse mi spelin"

T

time4now

Well here's the P-Bob.......Also with it in place it hangs about 5/8" of the clock bottom.The suspension spring and Pend. all look original to the movement . The only thing I see out of the ordinary is the crutch looks to have been bent then straightened at one point.I lengthend my Temp bob as far as I can to see if that makes a difference. Stu

Member Chapter #1
NAWCC Member # 159449

"scuse mi spelin"

T

time4now

BOB FRONT?

Member Chapter #1
NAWCC Member # 159449

"scuse mi spelin"

C

chasbaz

Another thing that can make it go fast is a suspension spring that is too stiff. This is a common problem. It 'drives' the pendulum with a quicker, shorter swing. Try a softer suspension spring if all else fails.

chasbaz

T

time4now

I bought the clock off an antique dealer and he threw in the bob and 2 keys (i-key is for a ansonia and the other seems correct)as far as the bob being to heavy....it was just a guess.I don't think he did anything more then try it for 5-10 min. and put it for sale. It was a low price and sold as-is so I figured it would need TLC. I don't want to get in over my head since this is the 1st clock I ever owned (That's why im always late :biggrin:). When you said the depth of the verge....do you think maybe it's jumping teeth on the escape wheel?? Do you think the crutch being bent might make it do that? I guess I should read some book's as others have suggested before I really tackle the problem.I figured it might be a simple fix.....lol....Never is!.

Member Chapter #1
NAWCC Member # 159449

"scuse mi spelin"

T

time4now

Thanks Phil........I'll do that. And I'd appreciate the list when you get a chance.
Stu

Member Chapter #1
NAWCC Member # 159449

"scuse mi spelin"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Doryc11
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit