Which pivot and burnisher to purchase

Discussion in 'Horological Tools' started by ticktock, Jan 26, 2007.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. ticktock

ticktock Registered User

Aug 24, 2004
    Country Flag:
    I am not sure what I should purchase, a left or right burnisher.
    I am right handed and file the pivot on the right hand side of the lathe. I file by putting the pivot/burnisher underneath the pivot while it is being turned in the lathe so I can see what is being taken off. So what do I need a right or left pivot/burnisher?

2. Smudgy

Smudgy Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 20, 2003
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I think you want the left burnisher

3. Michael McGuire

Michael McGuire Registered User

Dec 3, 2006
    I think he's correct- Saw an AWI lathe tape and it seems like you want opposite your normal hand

4. Charles E. Davis

Charles E. Davis Registered User
    NAWCC Life Member NAWCC Fellow Golden Circle

Nov 6, 2000
    La Verne, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The answers given ten years ago were wrong.
    He says that he is using the pivot file UNDER the pivot RIGHT end. This was the normal procedure and the file was designated as RIGHT.
    If the file was used on the top it would be it would require a LEFT hand file or burnisher

5. Hudson

Hudson Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 19, 2010
    Retired
    Spicewood
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have found visual helpful: 314099.jpg

6. BLKBEARD

BLKBEARD Registered User

Nov 15, 2016
    HVAC, MECHANIC, CLOCK REPAIRER
    CT
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #6 BLKBEARD, Aug 21, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
    Usually the description for the tool says whether it's for "Top Lathe Work" or "Bottom Lathe Work"

Referring to whether your working from the top side of the pivot, or working from underneath the pivot.

It has nothing to do with whether your right handed or left handed. I has to do with the angles cut on the side edges of the tool.

They're not a 90 degree rectangle like your average file. The sides are tapered.

7. Dushan Grujich

Dushan Grujich Registered User

Jun 20, 2003
    Male
    Watchmaker
    Bondi
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    G'Day!

Nope! Apparently You got it wrong.

In Europe, as opposed to USA, watchmakers' lathes were made and supplied with headstock being on either left hand, or right hand end of the bed, thus the term left or right imprinted on the burnisher, Links or Rechts in German, or Gauche or Droite in French, indicating where the work-piece is mounted - headstock on the left or headstock to the right.

BTW, burnishers are NOT tapered, they are straight and in cross section they are not rectangular but are rhomboidal, slanted to one side or the other depending on which side of the lathe is headstock located.

The same applies to a Jacot lathe, it can be turned either way, with the support runner on the preferred side, either left or right.

I hope this shall clear up all the misunderstandings.

Cheers

Dushan

8. BLKBEARD

BLKBEARD Registered User

Nov 15, 2016
    HVAC, MECHANIC, CLOCK REPAIRER
    CT
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The OP is located in the U.S.A., & stated that he is doing his pivot work on the right side of the lathe.
    Tapered referred to the sides not being square to the face. Tapered, beveled, back-cut, angled. I think it was clear what I was referring to.

Top work or bottom work is how they are often designated by the supply houses currently, along with left or right.
    And it still has nothing to do with whether the operator is left-handed, right handed, or ambidextrous

Hope this ads clarity to my previous post.

http://timesavers.com/search.html?q=pivot+file&go=Search

9. Dushan Grujich

Dushan Grujich Registered User

Jun 20, 2003
    Male
    Watchmaker
    Bondi
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    G'Day again!

It is irrelevant where the OP is located at, terminology that is used is universal. Also it is not clear where is headstock of his lathe located, left or right.

When one says taper or tapered, it is presumed that there is an angle involved. In case of a burnisher all of its opposing sides are parallel to each other, there is no taper involved, whatsoever.

The only parameter one needs to know in order to choose correctly slanted burnisher is the location of the pivot in regards to the burnisher, left or right, whether one shall use it above or below depends on the set-up i.e. if there is a Jacot drum in use or not. It is not easy to burnish a pivot from below with Jacot drum located above.

Besides, no effective burnishing can be accomplished with no support to the pivot. Burnishing is essentially process of work hardening so pressure must be applied to the burnisher. Without pressure being applied it is not burnishing.

Did I ever say it mattered? :D

I am certain now that there are NO misunderstandings left.

Cheers

Dushan