• Member Voting Now through June 6. Check Your Email for a Link to the Online Ballot. The Ballot Contains Links to Each Proposed Amendment to Bylaws and Articles of Incorporation.

Which MARTI makes this movement

rlwindle

Mar 18, 2011
Dallas, TX
Country
Region
I have three Art Deco clocks with movements made in France by MARTI (pictured) These clocks range from the late 20s to the early 30s. I Googled the name in all capitals, and get F. Marti, and S Marti, etc. Does anyone know who this MARTI is?

Thanks

Russ

Attachments

Richard T.

Deceased
Deceased
Apr 7, 2005
Country
Region
I would tend to agree with Jurgen. What type clock is this in? Could we see the case or do you already have a time period of the clock?

Fritz was around until 1900 or so and not too much is known about the company.

Best,

richard T.

rlwindle

Mar 18, 2011
Dallas, TX
Country
Region
Attached are all three cases that have one of these movements in them, all marked MARTI, this one is out of the zig-zag deco one (late 20s) with the puppys on it. The others, the Acher from 1933, The brown and oynx about 1933-35.
Thanks
Russ

Attachments

jmclaugh

Jun 1, 2006
Devon
Country
Region
There were it seems two companies known by the name Marti, Samuel Marti et Cie of Montbeliard and Fritz Marti et Fils of Vieux-Charmont. Little it appears is known about either of them and they don't appear to be mentioned beyond 1900 when they both won medals at exhibitions. Obviously one or other of them or even both survived to the period your Art Deco clocks belong to but I couldn't say which one.

soaringjoy

Feb 12, 2009
Germany, North Rhine-Westphalia
Country
Region
Yes, the Martis were one of the larger dynasties and I can't figure it all out to the point, either.
Fritz Marti was a Swiss actually and there must have been business connections to S. Marti at least.
Perhaps F. Marti even was a part of S. Marti & Cie. "enterprises".
Clocks were only one branch; they did arms and even early sonar devices, etc., a multi-purpose company,
finally taken over by the Peugeot Automobiles company, another multi-purpose enterprise.

Anyway, it is known, that Japy, Marti and Vincenti were all hooked-up and tangled with each other, it was indeed
a conglomerat.

I don't know how long F. Marti was around, but S. Marti was awarded a "Grand Prix", Paris, in 1931.

Fritz Marti (La Chaux-des-Fonds) was granted Swiss patents for electric clocks in 1932 and 1933:

1932-01-06
Pièce d'horlogerie électrique
Fritz Marti, La-Chaux-de-Fonds
1933-05-04
Dispositif de contact pour pièces d'horlogerie électriques
Fritz Marti, André Strahm, Ernest Boss, La-Chaux-de-Fonds

rlwindle

Mar 18, 2011
Dallas, TX
Country
Region
Then MARTI is probably their logo?

Attached is another clock with their logo on the movement. This one has a quartz movement in it right now, the movement is being repaired.

Russ

Attachments

jmclaugh

Jun 1, 2006
Devon
Country
Region
Then MARTI is probably their logo?

Russ
Yes it is safe to assume the Marti logo on your clocks belongs to one or other of them.

As Jurgen says it is very likely the two Marti firms may have been connected with each other and may even have been related to each other but as I said there appears to be very little information at least that I have come across on either company or the connection between Samuel & Fritz Marti or if at some point they merged their operations. Japy, Marti and Vincenti (Roux) who all had factories in the same area of eastern Frnace are known to have set up a joint company to market their products but afaik it did not extend beyond that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carouser
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-