Which clocks, grandfather clocks, mantles clocks have most tunes, 12 tunes's most

Darksoulfire

Apr 8, 2021
Country
this's mantles clocks have 12 tunes. The clock have most tunes i seen before.
I want to know which clocks have more tunes 14,16 or more? Pls share that to me
Thank you

4964785B-609B-4165-A878-C72340AA4ED0.jpeg 2E157418-D584-43FC-B767-4BA725352D77.jpeg B6DF3324-2159-49C4-A082-B2F54E722BE9.jpeg

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
Welcome to the board.

I cannot answer your question about the clocks with the most tunes, but no doubt there are others will be able to help.

I should be grateful if you could post a clear, sharp close-up photo of the dial of your clock as I would like to be able to read the names of the tunes.

Thanks and best wishes.

JTD

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I believe you've found something quite rare. The bell rack alone makes the clock valuable, and I've never seen anything like it. Do you own the clock?

Ralph

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2002
Country
I had one a number of years ago that played 13 tunes, on 16 bells. It was a monster of a clock. I think it was made for the Ottoman market, but the dial was redone in German. The movement must have weighed 60-70 lbs.

The movement had the bells on a dovetailed slide and the bell rack would shift for the different tune selections. Usually., the cylinder is shifted.

The movement was made by Handley & Moore.

Your clock looks like a great clock. Is the movement signed?

111-1177_IMG.JPG 111-1181_IMG.JPG 111-1182_IMG.JPG hm7.JPG

Ralph

Last edited:

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Wow! You should have kept it :D

Salsagev

Donor
Feb 6, 2020
Madison
www.youtube.com
Country
Region
The OP’s clock is signed Rob Roskell Liverpool. I’ve actually seen this clock on a Facebook group before. The tunes lists are illegible on the Facebook post.

A secret video. Not sure about the amount of tunes but it has multiple instruments.
www.wiglaf.org/~aaronm/watches/jaquet/tn/297.jpg.html
Article on it:

Last edited:

Ralph

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2002
Country
The Robert Roskell clock movement was probably made by H&M or one of the other companies, that specialized in these type clocks.

Ralph

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
The tunes lists are illegible on the Facebook post.
That's why I asked him for a clear close-up. However, Dick C's post has provided a link which show the tunes pretty well (thanks Dick).

JTD

Ralph

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2002
Country
Rarely, are the tunes pleasing, at least not to my ear. ;)

Ralph

Salsagev

Donor
Feb 6, 2020
Madison
www.youtube.com
Country
Region
That's why I asked him for a clear close-up. However, Dick C's post has provided a link which show the tunes pretty well (thanks Dick).
They are still illegible IMHO and the same pics as the Facebook post.
Rarely, are the tunes pleasing, at least not to my ear. ;)

Ralph
I agree! They sound like wind chimes of random resonant notes. That’s why I like slower and clearer chimes.

chimeclockfan

NAWCC Member
Dec 21, 2006
WI
Country
Region
Many of these old English musical bracket clocks play several tunes on bells. 4 different tunes was a common selection, going upward to 7 or even 13 as noted above. The tunes were often adapted from regional folk music or arranged by the clockmaker using basic concepts such as waltzes and jigs. Their playing on bells can be described as 'interpretive' and the exact arrangements tend to be ignored by most clock repairers.

Some tunes adapted included bygone hits such as Lovely Nancy, The Lass of Patty's Mill, Bells of London, and The Happee Clown. Unnamed Jigs, Marches, Rigadoons, and Waltzes are also known to exist. Because of the huge movements needed to play these tunes, these clocks are exceedingly heavy and completely beyond the league of more typical mantel or bracket clocks - this is not always remembered when clocks are packed for shipping, leaving repairmen with very difficult tasks afterward.

The more common 'Whittington' chime on eight bells was more effective since it resembled the sound of church bells pealing, even on small bells. With the onslaught of refined gongs and bells by the 1880's, the musical clocks fell out of favor among the public: a clear, deep Westminster chime was ultimately preferred over the Jingle Bells Waltz. Hah.

Ralph

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2002
Country
Here are the tunes from a 6 tune clock that sounds great.

Home sweet home
The last rose of summer
Heart of oak
Bay of Biscay
Penny Jones
Shall we meet beyond the river

The problem is, it's an 18th century clock, and I believe the tunes are Victorian. The drum must be repinned. It is an improvement.
1617943979550.png

Ralph

zedric

NAWCC Member
Aug 8, 2012
Country
Region
They are still illegible IMHO and the same pics as the Facebook post.
There are some you can make out - others you could guess if you knew what they were

the lsat two are Psalm 104 and Psalm 100, 3rd from last is Minuet by ....(illegible)..., the other one I can read is "Speed the plough"

chimeclockfan

NAWCC Member
Dec 21, 2006
WI
Country
Region
The quality of tune implementation depended on who made what: some tunes sound great, others sound like Jingle Bell Disco.
If the tunes aren't Victorian they may be carry-overs from the Baroque period.

Mike Phelan

Dec 17, 2003
West Yorkshire, England
Country
Region
My favourite is the Gai Carillon from Odo - (a French clock). QV on Youtube - well worth a listen.

Incidentally, I've been looking for one of these for years!

chimeclockfan

NAWCC Member
Dec 21, 2006
WI
Country
Region
Those Odo wall clocks with Gai Carillon turn up regularly in France and Vietnam. I don't think they were ever sold to other countries when new.
Odo has had a presence in Vietnam since the 1930's and the clocks became a part of their culture over the years:

Personally I find no outstanding improvement over the traditional Whittington chime, which does a superb job
at conveying the sound of bells pealing. Gustav Becker's implementations stand as among the best out there:

Salsagev

Donor
Feb 6, 2020
Madison
www.youtube.com
Country
Region
That’s amazing but honestly, it probably sounds terrible.

I have seen an amazing clock post before on Facebook but it is private so I cannot share it unfortunately.

here is the sold live auctioneer post though: Monumental Carved Musical Tall Case Clock. - Sep 03, 2016 | Dan Morphy Auctions in PA

It is 4 trains btw...

Here is a crazy chime clock more fit for personal collections:

Last edited:

Ralph

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2002
Country
A friend's Indian share to me the grandfather clocks have 29 tunes.
I think he means 29 bells, not tunes. I don't see that clock playing 29 tunes, unless it has interchangeable cylinders. 29 tunes would require 29 tracks on the cylinder between each bell/hammer. I don't see it.

IMHO, Ralph

Salsagev

Donor
Feb 6, 2020
Madison
www.youtube.com
Country
Region
I think he means 29 bells, not tunes. I don't see that clock playing 29 tunes, unless it has interchangeable cylinders. 29 tunes would require 29 tracks on the cylinder between each bell/hammer. I don't see it.

IMHO, Ralph
I don't think there are 29 bells, at least when I counted. There were only 25/26 bells. Think there are 4 or 5 very complex tunes.

Personally, I think clock's purpose is to tell the time and strike hours, quarters, repeats, etc. People may add tunes to the standard clocks to show off or enjoy. Something melodious is different from something complex. A slow chiming complex but conventional melody is more than enough to show off.
A reminder of manufacture clock melodies:
Westminster
Whittington
St. Michaels
Winchester
Canterbury
Trinity
Ave Maria de Lourdes
Ave Maria de Fatima
Ave Maria de Schubert
Gai Carillon
Frere Jacques
Cloches de Jura
St. Ettiene
Himno Guadalupano
Colombia Anthem
Notre Dame
Elite Carillon
Ma Normandie
Bugle (ST Variation)
Galoise (?)
Old Steeple
On Waves of Blue
La Pamploise (?)

I would be more than happy to own all those clocks with those chimes.

Sure there are many many variations of Westminster but most are unknown.

Ralph

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2002
Country
There were only 25/26 bells.
I could only count 26 bells. and 29 hammers. They sometimes have two hammers strike the same bell, if they need to be hit rapidly in succession. ...or some bells are missing from the rack.

Ralph

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region

Darksoulfire

Apr 8, 2021
Country
I had one a number of years ago that played 13 tunes, on 16 bells. It was a monster of a clock. I think it was made for the Ottoman market, but the dial was redone in German. The movement must have weighed 60-70 lbs.

The movement had the bells on a dovetailed slide and the bell rack would shift for the different tune selections. Usually., the cylinder is shifted.

The movement was made by Handley & Moore.

Your clock looks like a great clock. Is the movement signed?

View attachment 648182 View attachment 648183 View attachment 648184 View attachment 648185

Ralph
What are the tunes name pls?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rob aust
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre