Which clock is this?

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Filippo, Feb 16, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Filippo

Filippo New Member

Feb 16, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hello!
    I found the clock in photo at my grandmother's house. The only things I know are that it should come from the United States and should date back to the early 1900s.
    Can you help me understand which model and brand it is?
    Thanks so much

IMG-20200216-WA0001.jpg

2. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    Welcome to the board.

You are right - your clock is American. This style of clock is sometimes called a kitchen clock or a 'gingerbread' clock and these were made by several American manufacturers.

Your clock also functions as an alarm clock. The brass dial in the center is used to set the alarm.

If you open the door and look at the back board, you may see a label with the maker's name.

If I had to guess I would say you clock was made by the Gilbert Clock Co, but I am not an expert on American clocks, so other people may know for sure, and also identify the model.

JTD

Filippo likes this.
  3. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    My guess is Ingraham. A photo of the movement will help identify, and posibably date. The manufacturer is often printed at the lower edge of the dial but the kerosene blackened dial paper will make it difficult to read. Willie X

4. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    This clock is No. 33 of Assortment F. It was offered by both the E. N. Welch Manufacturing Co. and the Sessions Clock Co., which took over the bankrupt Welch company as of January 1, 1903. It is from the first decade of the 20th century. A look at the movement might tell us which company sold this particular clock. However, Sessions used up any remaining Welch stock, cases and movements. For example, sometimes you find Sessions movements in cases left over from the Welch manufacturing company, and sometimes Sessions simply sold completed clocks of the Welch Mfr. Co. A look at the movement might give a clue. Am I correct in assuming that there is no label on the clock?

5. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I was thinking Ingraham as well, looking at the bob. Please take more pics and perhaps the label is intact.