Which Balance Staff for 18s Waltham M1892 # 18136878 Appleton Tracy

Discussion in 'Watch Repair' started by HUDD, Sep 9, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. HUDD

HUDD Registered User

Apr 11, 2004
    Hi All
    I have a new 1703A staff for my Waltham Appleton Tracy pocket watch but the diameter that takes the rollers is smaller than the broken staff I have just removed. The rollers just slide off this new staff. Is this the correct replacement or should I be looking for a 1703 staff ? Any help would be appreciated.

Mike

2. richiec

richiec Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Male
    automotive warranty inspector
    Brick, Ocean, NJ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    From what I understand, the 1892 went through a lot of changes in its run. I have 4 vials of staffs, 1703 and 1703A and can definitely see the difference between the roller shaft between them. If you can measure the diameter of yours and give me the pivot size, maybe I have something that will fit.

3. HUDD

HUDD Registered User

Apr 11, 2004
    Hi Richiec
    Many thanks for your reply. Using my digital calipers the diameter of the roller shaft from the broken staff removed is 0.56mm and the spare 1703A I thought would fit has the equivalent diameter of 0.54mm. That is 0.02mm too small. If you do have a suitable staff I would be very grateful.

Mike

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry RichieC I forgot to check the pivot size. As far as I can ascertain its a #11

Mike

4. Dave Coatsworth

Dave Coatsworth Super Moderator
    NAWCC Member Donor

Feb 11, 2005
    Camarillo, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The only difference between the 1703 and the 1703A is the hub length, which is 0.3mm longer on the 1703A. This makes the staff 0.3mm longer overall. (6.0mm vs. 5.7mm) The roller diameter is the same on both and should be 0.60mm.

5. PWfanatik

PWfanatik Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Building trades Project Manager
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hudd make sure your roller is not cracked.
    This can happen during removal...

6. richiec

richiec Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Male
    automotive warranty inspector
    Brick, Ocean, NJ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I agree with Dave, every staff I measured, had a .60 mm roller shaft.

7. HUDD

HUDD Registered User

Apr 11, 2004
    Hi RichieC, Dave and PWfanatic Many thanks for your replies. Now I know the difference between the 1703 and 1703A staffs. I've checked both rollers and they are both ok with no cracks. I'm not 100% sure about the accuracy of my digital calipers though when it comes to very small dimensions but they do show a difference in diameters between the removed broken one and my NOS spare. I've seen a 1703A on "that" website that looks to be the correct one so I'm going to buy that one. Fingers crossed !
    I'm not too familiar with the 1892 Walthams but fell in love with them reasonably recently. I used to collect 18s Hamilton and Illinois pocket watches for over 10 years so I accumulated plenty of spares for these.

Mike

8. PWfanatik

PWfanatik Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Building trades Project Manager
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Use some strong magnification on the roller and get close and see if there is a crack...
    Depends on your vision, so 15X 20, or 25 magnification should be adequate...
    I would mount the staff with a small amount of staking and test install the balance cock to see if the balance will spin, then go back and finish the staking...