• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center will reopen starting Wednesday, January 6, 2021 as per Governor Wolf's reopening mandate.

Where would I find this?

Randy Johnson

Mar 30, 2005
Gadsden, AL
Country
Region
I'm usually over in the mechanical clock forum, but I thought I might to post this one here. I found a great-looking old 12" General Electric bakelite wall clock at an estate sale recently. It was plugged-in and running so I grabbed it at a bargain. I first noticed it was really tricky to set. When I pulled down the stem to set the time it felt as if the set gear wasn't fully engaging. Then I noticed that the hour hand didn't move along with the minute hand. When left to run, The motor runs quiet, the second hand sweeps smoothly and the minute hand works fine. But the hour hand only advances randomly. I took it down and it looks like 'uncle Bill' may have got at it with his pocket knife and pliers sometime along the way. But the more serious problem is that the plastic gear is broken and badly worn. All thoughts are much appreciated. - Randy
GE_1.JPG

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Randy, it was likely an old school or office clock. They were pretty well built to be disposable. Not much you can do unless you can source a replacement gear from another movement.

Randy Johnson

Mar 30, 2005
Gadsden, AL
Country
Region
Randy, it was likely an old school or office clock. They were pretty well built to be disposable. Not much you can do unless you can source a replacement gear from another movement.
He's everywhere!! ;) Thanks Harold. I was afraid of that, but these old gems don't come cheap. They're usually so accurate that I like to keep on around to use as a regulator in my shop. Thanks, Randy

Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAWCC Publications
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit