Where would I find this?

Discussion in 'Electric Horology' started by Randy Johnson, Dec 22, 2012.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Randy Johnson

Randy Johnson Registered User

Mar 30, 2005
    Male
    Self-Employed Clock Repairman
    Gadsden, AL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'm usually over in the mechanical clock forum, but I thought I might to post this one here. I found a great-looking old 12" General Electric bakelite wall clock at an estate sale recently. It was plugged-in and running so I grabbed it at a bargain. I first noticed it was really tricky to set. When I pulled down the stem to set the time it felt as if the set gear wasn't fully engaging. Then I noticed that the hour hand didn't move along with the minute hand. When left to run, The motor runs quiet, the second hand sweeps smoothly and the minute hand works fine. But the hour hand only advances randomly. I took it down and it looks like 'uncle Bill' may have got at it with his pocket knife and pliers sometime along the way. But the more serious problem is that the plastic gear is broken and badly worn. All thoughts are much appreciated. - Randy
    GE_1.JPG

2. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Randy, it was likely an old school or office clock. They were pretty well built to be disposable. Not much you can do unless you can source a replacement gear from another movement.

3. Randy Johnson

Randy Johnson Registered User

Mar 30, 2005
    Male
    Self-Employed Clock Repairman
    Gadsden, AL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    He's everywhere!! ;) Thanks Harold. I was afraid of that, but these old gems don't come cheap. They're usually so accurate that I like to keep on around to use as a regulator in my shop. Thanks, Randy