Where was it made, and is there a link to Breguet?

Jim Duncan

NAWCC Member
May 31, 2011
Central Coast of California
Country
Region
My latest clock acquisition has me pleased (appearance) and intrigued (maker & origin). The seller listed it as a French lantern clock, late 18th century. The clock has a signature disc with a name, location, and date.

Boulenger, a Iourni, 1782. See photo - easy to decipher, right?

I asked for help from NAWCC Research, and Ben Errickson pulled out Tardy’s “Dictionnaire Des Horologers Français”. Pages 71 & 72 show one Boulenger (Alfred) but his time is 100 years later (1880 -1890). See PDF Boulenger0001.

But also on these pages are two gentlemen with close spellings: Boulanger (last name on page 71 and continued on page 72).

Charles is 17 years older than Thomas. Both could be working in 1782 at respective ages of 47 and 30 years.

Maybe the location could tell us which maker made the clock? or, is this the retailer or customer? But I can’t find a “Iourni” anywhere - France, Switzerland, Belgium/Flanders, etc. Sometimes I and J are interchangeable in European languages, but I can’t turn up a “Journi” either. If one adds an “s” on the end Google goes crazy with copious uses of “journis” meaning “journey” in the common sense as well as commercial enterprises.

Back now to Thomas Boulanger. He has many addresses listed by Tardy, mostly in Paris, so maybe Iourni isn’t a town but a place, rue (road), or designated locale? Again I came up empty handed.

Errickson also found reference in Brian Loomes’ text “Watchmakers and Clockmakers of the World” See PDF Boulenger10001 where Loomes notes that Boulanger —— . took care of business for A L Breguet while he was in Switzerland. Wikipedia notes that Breguet had dealings that might put him in jeopardy if he stays with the wrong people in France. This would have Boulanger more a business manager than clockmaker, wouldn’t it?

Does anyone have insight on Boulanger’s relationship with Breguet? Was Breguet ever at Iourni? Can anyone connect the dots?

Thanks,

Jim
Boulenger H&S.png Boul signature disc.JPG

Attachments

zedric

NAWCC Member
Aug 8, 2012
Country
Region
Breguet fled to Switzerland during the French Revolution. I believe that is what Loomes is referring to, in which case he would have stayed in Paris. What his history was before joining Breguet I don’t know.

nice clock. Do you have other photos?

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
To my eye, it is certainly not Lourni, rather, as you say, I would suppose it a capital J(ourni), which at that time was often written as I. But, like you, I have so far not been able to find any place with this name.

I will let you know if I find anything.

JTD

WIngraham

NAWCC Member
Apr 19, 2019
Country
Region
Very nice clock, beautiful dial and hands. I'm going to take a wild guess and say Journiac, a lot of place names in France have suffixes, one being -ac. Maybe it was dropped?

Will

jmclaugh

Jun 1, 2006
Devon
Country
Region
An interesting hook and spike clock especially the dial with Dutch minute band and spandrels that wouldn't be out of place on an English clock but I don't know much at all about such clocks from France.

zedric

NAWCC Member
Aug 8, 2012
Country
Region
It is certainly exceptional for France, their lantern clocks were usually pretty plain

Jim Duncan

NAWCC Member
May 31, 2011
Central Coast of California
Country
Region
Will: Journiac was a good suggestion, but maybe too good as 3 locations turned up on Google maps. All 3 are rather rural, mountainous locales, - google maps for Journiac, France.png but that doesn't rule them out.

Jim

WIngraham

NAWCC Member
Apr 19, 2019
Country
Region
Hi Jim, I think at least one those that came up is a business or company and not a place. The one I was thinking of is this Journiac - Wikipedia. It does look rural though, and beautiful!

Will

WIngraham

NAWCC Member
Apr 19, 2019
Country
Region
Lol, no problem, was just an idea.

Will

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member