Where to look for a thesis on positional accuracy & the corrections made to correct

Discussion in 'Watch Repair' started by Whereisitat, Mar 21, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. NAWCC Login Function is Not Working. If you know your username and password for the Message Board, you can log in using the small login link at the upper right.
  1. Whereisitat

Whereisitat Registered User

Mar 14, 2017
    Title says it all but I'll try a recent example.

I have a clock / watch that runs slowly in the preferred position. How is that lessened while keeping the balance with other positions?.

I'm mostly dealing with salvage pieces-bottom feeding the Bay. So new parts all around will not be happening. But parts swaps-rotation/ adjustment etc??

Thanks!

2. Skutt50

Skutt50 Registered User

Mar 14, 2008
    Re: Where to look for a thesis on positional accuracy & the corrections made to corre

I think you will find most answers to your question in the book "Practical Watch Adjusting" by de Carle.

3. geo.ulrich

geo.ulrich Registered User

Apr 10, 2013
    Re: Where to look for a thesis on positional accuracy & the corrections made to corre

htpp.//adjustingvintagewatches.com has a real good explanation

4. Paul_S

Paul_S Registered User

Mar 27, 2015

Thanks, geo.ulrich, for the shout out.

I would second the recommendation for DeCarle's book.

A great and inexpensive place to start is Kleinlein's book "Rules and Practice for Adjusting Watches." It is practical, and he speaks the truth.

A more modern book with Jendritzki's "Watch Adjusting." This book is superior but rare and expensive.

If you're a NAWCC member, you can check these out from their library (even via post) instead of buying them.

Adjusting to positions is an interesting craft. You need a timing machine, a very well-serviced watch, and either a lot of patience or a lot of swear words. :smile:

5. Paul_S

Paul_S Registered User

Mar 27, 2015

I'd also add that it is best to start learning with quality watches---watches that were originally adjusted and are capable of being fine tuned.

It's easier to adjust nice watches than "bottom-feeding" watches, which lack some features that make it much easier (screw heads with slots, for example).

A 12-size Illinois pocket watch in good condition is a nice place to start.

6. s. smith

s. smith Registered User

Oct 13, 2006

i agree with Paul s ,,Start with a 15 or 17 jewel watch a good one to start on would be the waltham model 1899 elgin 16 size etc.
    Dont start with a 7 jewel elgin or something of the same low quality a lot of these will be be hard for any watchmaker to make run good..
    as a beginner Starting on a basket case movement can discourage and make you want to give up ..

7. Whereisitat

Mar 14, 2017

Thanks for all the replies....

Frustrating at times yes I'd say very...

But I do have a timing machine and a fair slew of "projects". And today I had a fairly big win-a watch that had given me a lot of trouble is finally running strong & accurate. Hairsprings & the alignment can be very dodgy to correct. On this watch I had done everything I could-and ended up deciding to take a closer look at the timing weights. Sure enough 2 extra small ones-that once removed the watch is timed dead center on the adjustor.

Wanna make yourself slightly ill?? Take a $32.00 6497 copy-that's delivered with a ok case from junglewoman.com-and set it up after tuning it. Dead straight lines in all positions-easy peasy.

Not so easy on these antiques.

I have my 1st "nice" one on the way. A Illinois Railroad dispatch special-that looked unused & it runs. Paid about 5 x what my norm is but I already have too many & wanted a nice one. Hope it runs as good as it looks.

And last note-a 16s traveler Waltham is probably my most accurate watch in the vintage category. Sturdy & well built does a lot for the ability to be accurate after all these years.

Cheers!

8. Samantha

Samantha Registered User

Jun 28, 2009
    Female

If you can find a copy, there is a paperback book titled "Timing Manipulations" by James L. Hamilton that has good information in it.
    Samantha

9. Whereisitat

Mar 14, 2017

I wanted to 1st say-Thank you Paul-S that is the exact thing I was looking for to get started-and you created it!-Good job I have a lot to absorb & maybe-hopefully-learn.

I did just get a 12S Illinois and it was very clean inside & out-ran great face up/ down. But fell of a cliff when rotated even slightly. I knew this was a contact issue & luckily after a few in / outs with the bearings etc...I found it.

The hairspring stud was up a tad high. Not sure if it had been replaced without a trace-or moved up to get off the feet of the regulator pins. When I trimmed a hairs worth off the stud it stopped doing the free fall.

Now I'm back to normal tuning I hope.

Guess the thing I need to remind myself as a self taught beginner is check the basics 1st then make your decisions when that is firm.
    Again-GREAT website & its a rainy day so I'm going to enrich myself.
    Thanks!

10. Paul_S

Paul_S Registered User

Mar 27, 2015

Good to hear, and happy adjusting! :smile:

11. Whereisitat

Mar 14, 2017
    #11 Whereisitat, Apr 4, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2017

Been a while....

And todays project was further dynamic poising a 12S Elgin GM Wheeler 1906 "adjusted". This was my 1st attempt & thanks to Paul_S & his detailed instructions I actually did pretty good. THANKS again...Great information.

And I also want to give a nod to something I didn't pay much attention to-AMPLITUDE!.

I mostly watched the seconds & beat from the timing machine. I had no idea what a huge factor amplitude was.

My 12S Illinois is pretty much dead on without any adjustments after changing the main spring & making sure the barrel arbor etc... were spinning free. The old spring had plenty of resistance but didn't do the job.

After about-all day-I finally got my 12s Elgin to hold accurate in 4 positions. Face up, Down & Pendant up / down are all within a few seconds. Yay!!! . That is as close as I can get with my small assortment of timing weights & stolen balance weights. Lucky some of my weights had been hollowed from the bottom giving me a fair amount of variability vs the small weights I had.

This was a challenge to say the least. The Elgin had a bent(!) balance wheel and huge poise issues. I ended up stripping all the weights off & using a donor balance that had what looked to be pristine weights but also a broken staff. Better after that-enough to get reading on the machine-gulp. Then a full days trial & error got me a modest success.

And I have a fair amount of carnage behind me due to learning curve & ooops I dropped it-sigh-but I've done better than I imagined-and not without a lot of help-Thanks again to everyone!.