• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

Where to find a large minute hand nut?

Clockinit

Nov 4, 2019
Country
Hi Peoples...I'm in need of a larger size minute hand nut for aa ST ships clock..It would almost have to be about the size of a Cukoo clock minute hand bushing, but round..Anyone know who has 'em or where i can get one...??

Best Bob

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
About all there is out there are assortments, which is always a crap shoot. You may have to make a nut, if you ca n establish size and pitch.

Clockinit

Nov 4, 2019
Country
'Bugsey, what does pitch mean? I was gonna try an assortment from TIMESAVERS...MERRITTS doesn't seem to have the selection....
Thanks for the input....

Bob

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Pitch is usually measured in threads per inch (US standards). So you have two sizes to worry about. How thick the shaft is, and how many threads per inch is required. Most hardware stores sell thread measuring tools for both English and Metric threads. They might also have the more common taps for making the nut. If not, there are places that sell the odd sizes. One or two that will even make one for you.

THTanner

NAWCC Member
Jul 3, 2016
Carson City, Nevada
Country
Region
Which ST ship's clock do you have? I have a junk 5184 and a 5186 movement which are time only and have a small hex nut on the shaft. The diameter of the shaft is 4mm - I am not sure of the TPI. These are time only, rear wind / set, Mark I deck clock movements.

There are other ST ship's clocks that have a Hermle movement like a 130 in them. Those would use a Hermle shaft nut.

Clockinit

Nov 4, 2019
Country
TH...it's a ST 5165 c.1945...I shipped the movement out to have the platform serviced...so I can't be any more definitive than that. It does appear to need a larger hand nut or hex nut...Am unsure....
Pitch is usually measured in threads per inch (US standards). So you have two sizes to worry about. How thick the shaft is, and how many threads per inch is required. Most hardware stores sell thread measuring tools for both English and Metric threads. They might also have the more common taps for making the nut. If not, there are places that sell the odd sizes. One or two that will even make one for you.
Thanks 'Bugsey...got it!..making a nut:???:mmm I think beyond my skill set...Maybe I could YOU TUBE it!! LOL!!

THTanner

NAWCC Member
Jul 3, 2016
Carson City, Nevada
Country
Region
I will try to get the TPI for you using a tap or dye and let you know. I think the entire 51xx series used the same nut. I have two spare nuts so if nothing else can send you one to try.

THTanner

NAWCC Member
Jul 3, 2016
Carson City, Nevada
Country
Region
The closest I can get is 8-32 or 4mm-070 - the 8-32 is a little tight and the 4mm-070 is a little loose. I suspect either would work depending on the wear to your threads. 8-32 and 4M-.7 are close equivalents - so probably use the 8-32 and see if it works.

THTanner

NAWCC Member
Jul 3, 2016
Carson City, Nevada
Country
Region
I will be sending you one of my spare original nuts to finish up your clock as we discussed.

But for future reference here is an easy way to make these. Most commercially available hex 8-32 nuts are too thick for these clocks. So get an 8-32 bolt and two 8-32 hex nuts. Tighten the two nuts against each other at the end of the bolt. Use a grinder to grind away 1/3 to a 1/2 of the leading nut. Remove the nut, clean up the threads, finish file then sand the face. During the grinding the nut may become somewhat annealed, so once it is dressed as desired re harden the nut.

Clockinit

Nov 4, 2019
Country
Tom, That's interesting...as I am one to always 'give it a shot'..This is something I will try..Thanks for the lesson. I love this stuff!!!

Bob

Reactions: THTanner

THTanner

NAWCC Member
Jul 3, 2016
Carson City, Nevada
Country
Region
Tom, That's interesting...as I am one to always 'give it a shot'..This is something I will try..Thanks for the lesson. I love this stuff!!!

Bob
wear gloves - or use vise grips - it will get hot