"Where or where..."

Discussion in 'Horological Misc' started by rmarkowitz1_cee4a1, Sep 25, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    ....have all the posted pix gone
    or where or where can they be??"

I was looking at my latest thread and all of the pix, the real crux of the points I was trying to make, are now just "X".

Also, is there a way to set things so that the latest posts on a thread are first rather than the first post.

There are some threads that are as many as years old with literally 100's of replies.

The current arrangement makes no sense to me.

RM.

2. Bill Stuntz

Bill Stuntz Technical Admin
    Staff Member Donor NAWCC Member

Apr 6, 2012
    Male
    PC Tech
    Columbus. OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    FYI, the new software automatically goes to the first unread post in a thread instead of the first post. If there are no unread posts, it displays #1.
    For long threads, you can select which page you want to see. For instance, the Becker section of makers name under general has 137 pages of posts. becker.png
    Can you give me a link? I'll look into it.

3. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Country Flag:
    Look at the last three pages of the thread on Jerome Clocks. A lot of work went into those posts and many of the pictures have vanished. Our hope is that they will be resurrected.

4. Bill Stuntz

Apr 6, 2012
    Male
    PC Tech
    Columbus. OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Weird.
    When I VIEW the post I see this: jerome post.png
    When I EDIT the post, I see this: Jerome edit.png
    I'll try to figure out what's going on. There's obviously something wrong with the post that was probably an error in the import.

5. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    I liked it better when it just went in reverse order, ie, latest post first.

RM

6. Bill Stuntz

Apr 6, 2012
    Male
    PC Tech
    Columbus. OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I don't think that's possible in XF, but I'll look into it. Maybe it's an option under your settings in your profile, but I don't think so.

I have trouble maintaining mental continuity when I have to read DOWN through the list to see earlier posts. If I read the latest post at the top of the list before I've read the earlier ones I don't have anything to hang the latest ideas on. I tried it both ways under vB, and latest first drove me nuts.

7. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Still no pix with my latest thread.

I've tried to document a clock not previously described.

The pix are essential.

RM

8. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    In light of recent events, I feel that the following header that appears on the MB should change from:

"PLEASE include photos in addition to your text description. We need to SEE the clock to provide correct answers!"

To:

"PLEASE include photos in addition to your text description so we can lose them!"

Probably more a accurate statement of the current situation?

RM

9. Dave Coatsworth

Dave Coatsworth Super Moderator
    Donor NAWCC Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Camarillo, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    In light of the hard work that VOLUNTEERS are doing on this board, I would say a bit out of line! Have you been doing anything to help, RM, or are you just content to fire these potshots from your armchair?

10. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member Donor Sponsor NAWCC Member

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Robert you have made 3,232 posts in 1,320 different threads. You have started 147 threads. Those posts contain 2,163 unique images.

None of that information has been lost, nor have any of your images. We have a great many images on this site and the import process ran into problems. However, none of the images have been lost and they will all be recovered as soon as I can get it done.

11. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Supermoderator? Can you leap a tall case clock in a single bound?!?

To answer the question about have I been doing anything, please see the above.

I have spent a goodly amount of time trying to bring extensive well illustrated threads to the MB. It's what I can do. I can't fix your computer problems.

Sorry to be so "histrionic".

RM

12. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member Donor Sponsor NAWCC Member

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Robert, you are one of our best contributors and we truly appreciate your efforts.

However, you might have looked in the problems and comments area to see if anyone else was having problems like yours and what solutions were being worked. Your comments were considered hurtful by some of the moderators and admins, whether or not they were deserved.

13. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    #13 rmarkowitz1_cee4a1, Oct 14, 2017 at 7:52 AM
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2017 at 8:44 AM
    I did look at it and found it, well, uninformative.

Let's face it. This transition has generated a major problem that possibly seems to have overwhelmed those that managed it. That's not being mean, nasty, finding fault, blaming, inpatient, etc. or unappreciative. That seems to be the fact of the matter.

To me, it's especially problematic not just from the point of view of one particular person. But in this electronic age, this MB really can be an archive and a place to find information. For example, when you google something about clocks, this MB comes up! The current photo issue seriously compromises that great potential.

Furthermore, for better or worse, it's a primarily visual medium (people can't or don't read). No pix, that's a problem. And let's face it. If John Q. Public keeps coming up with a bunch of "X" 's, they may not come back. That's a loss of positive public exposure and people who might be interested in the NAWCC.

I do appreciate the hard work that many of the moderators and others do on behalf of the MB.

But I also believe whether voluntary or not, there are certain expectations that need to be met. I know in my life I do work way beyond my paid hours and its not always appreciated. But that's life and I still feel that I need to do what I do regardless.

I think that this brings up some other things that I believe is reflective of the attitudes of some of the moderators.

The first is we're not some unruly mob that they need to policed, chided or preached to.

The other is that I spend some serious time on some of my postings, taking photos, looking things up. When I think about it, my postings probably represent, in total, 100's of hours that I have given freely to this endeavor. Many others do the same as well. I think the time many of us give willingly and freely to this MB in that form is quite valuable and it's why there is a MB with moderators in the first place. I think it would be helpful for maybe some of that group to begin to appreciate and respect that more. Shocking news: the tail doesn't wag the dog.

RM

14. musicguy

musicguy Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
    If there is a misunderstanding
    between intelligent people we all have to step back and understand how our own words are interpreted by others.
    I don't think anyone including the moderators and technical people are happy
    how the transition went. Everyone knows about the current problems, and
    members pointing them out is not the problem(it's been encouraged by the moderators).
    The presumed attitude that the transition
    was done without testing and a lot of thought put into the transition makes
    the hard work they are doing more frustrating. Peoples words are always
    interpreted differently by different people. Much of visual communication(understanding the authors meanings)
    is lost when communicating on a forum. I'm sure what I am saying
    now might be misinterpreted. The people working hard in the background
    understand the current problems, and it will take understanding
    by the members of the forum during this time.
    That is not a negative. If people didn't feel passionate about the hard work
    they put into horology research here, and then to find much of their work is
    missing, it's understandable why there is frustration. How we react,
    and work to fix the problem can make the frustrating problems
    easier to work through. Thanks to all the people
    who have contributed to this knowledge base(It will work out in the end).

Rob

15. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    And thanks for your thoughtful response.

I guess I would summarize it as we're all in this together.

RM

16. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User
    Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes, it is very disappointing for all of us, rather gutting for those who tried so hard to make sure it all went smoothly.

I agree wholeheartedly on the importance of the picture archive, I always saw that as the huge plus of this place, that we loaded pics up to your server and could trust they would always be available.

I'm sorry it did not go as well as hoped, but I am sure you will find the solution and I feel happier knowing they do , at least, still exist.

17. rickyn

rickyn Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 7, 2009
    retired masonry contractor
    Binghamton,NY
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Good job. Gentlemen. Rickyn.