Where do these clips go?

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by tracerjack, Sep 11, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. tracerjack

tracerjack Registered User

Jun 6, 2016
    Country Flag:
    When I began to unscrew the bolt on the bracket that held the movement in place, a brass clip fell out. Then the second one too. Since they fell out as soon as I loosened the bolt, the slot in the clip must go around the bolt, but I don't know if it went between the movement and the bracket, or between the cable plate and the bracket. Or maybe I'm all wrong, and they went somewhere else. Here's some photos. The movement is a Kieinger bim-bam from 1977. And now can't remember if the cable plate was next to the movement or below the bracket arms. Took all kinds of photos of the movement, but not how it went into the bracket.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. wow

wow Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 24, 2008
    Male
    Retired Music Minister
    Pineville, La. (central La.)
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    If you put the shims above the racks, they will raise the movement the thickness of the shims. Perhaps it needs to be up that much so it will fit the case. I see no Need for the shims otherwise.

3. tracerjack

Jun 6, 2016
    Country Flag:
    Ah, so they are shims. I didn't know what they were so didn't know what they did. Now I know. Thanks.

4. MARK A. BUTTERWORTH

MARK A. BUTTERWORTH Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor

Jul 4, 2009
    Male
    Diistributor of movements and movement parts.
    Muscatine, Iowa 52761
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I think the shims should fit under the pillars and between the plates to keep the pillars from being drawn down too tightly. If they are too tight without them it could jam the clock.

5. tracerjack

Jun 6, 2016
    Country Flag:
    I believe you are absolutely right. I had to put the dial on the movement, so took a closer look at the shims. They are the exact depth from pillar to the bottom of the plates, and in length they fit perfectly between the plates. They would do exactly what you posted - prevent the pillars from being distorted by any over tightening of the bracket bolts. Thanks.