American Where Can People See Sidney Advertising Clocks in Person?

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by DRALLAIN, Jan 6, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. DRALLAIN

DRALLAIN Registered User

Jan 6, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hi everyone, I love the Sidney Advertising Clocks. I would like your help compiling a list of museums, businesses, etc in the U.S. that have a Sidney advertising clock or clocks on display. I travel for work and would love to know where they are so that I can check them out if I'm in the area. If you have one and are willing to show it that would be great too. Thanks!

2. RAK

RAK Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 22, 2004
    Male
    The Beautiful State of Virginia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Don,

Welcome to the NAWCC! I can't believe I missed your post until now. It's great to have another Sidney Advertising Clock fan on the Message Board.

So, where to see them. I know of a couple. 1). The NAWCC Museum (Columbia, PA) has an example of a very early (1886-1887ish) one on display. Please note that the elaborate tablet is a replacement and I don't believe it is based on an existing example. The advertising cards are replacements as well. 2). The American Clock Museum (Bristol, Conn.) has one that looks to be a little later (transition circa 1890 maybe:???:??). I've only seen this one in a poor photograph. It is also seen very very briefly in their two minute tour online. Don't blink you'll miss it. I believe the tablet is period and so are the cards if memory serves. 3). Two of the nicest, almost perfect examples are in a small town in southern Wisconsin called Milton at the Milton House Museum. The Milton House was a carriage stop back in the day and apparently a sometime stop on the Underground Railway. I stumbled on them by accident back around 2001-2002 and haven't been back unfortunately. It seems from their website that they have expanded to add some conference room facilities and they (when last I looked) had hung the best of their Sidneys out in the lobby so you could walk right up to it. I'm not sure where the other is displayed but it is shown on a recent online article they posted. These are both Sidney clocks that were produced later, most likely by the Ithaca Calendar Clock Company, based on Russ Oschels (sp) excellent research. When I was there, years ago, I was lucky enough to get the tour from the museum Director. A funny thing that he shared with me and my wife was that neither of these clocks originally hung in the Milton House. They both came from other little Hotels in Milton.

I'm hopeful other folks know of additional ones that can be viewed. I too will go out of my way to see a good example of one of these interesting clocks. Regards, Bob

DRALLAIN likes this.
  3. BST

BST Registered User

Oct 7, 2017
    Male
    Country Flag:
    There Is one hanging in the AAA I 76 antique mall in ravenna ohio. It is on display only and not for sale. I was there about a month ago and it was still hanging.

DRALLAIN likes this.
  4. DRALLAIN

DRALLAIN Registered User

Jan 6, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thanks Bob and BST for the information. Keep the sightings coming and we'll compile a great list on this thread.
    Don

5. Jim DuBois

Jim DuBois Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jun 14, 2008
    Male
    Magnolia, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Might want to talk to Russ Oechsle in upstate NY. I think he may know the whereabouts of some of them.

6. DRALLAIN

DRALLAIN Registered User

Jan 6, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hi Jim, Bob (RAK) also spoke highly of Russ and a lecture he gave on Sidney clocks so I'd like to compare notes with him.

7. DRALLAIN

DRALLAIN Registered User

Jan 6, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    My plan is to visit and document as much as possible all of these clocks and I plan on posting photos after each visit. I'm looking forward to it!

PatH likes this.