• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

Where can I start?

ajharko64

New User
Sep 14, 2009
Gawler, South Australia
Country
Region
Hi, I am from Australia and antique clocks over here are hard to come by. I have however just started to collect mantle clocks. My question is - what are some good sites to research different makers names and the clcoks they produced over the years. I have also just bought a grandfather clock. On the dial it has the name Geo. Biddle Birmingham... but I can't find anywhere on the web where this chap was a clockmaker & the years he produced clocks... can you help me at all. regards Tony

Journeyman

Feb 12, 2007
Exeter Devon UK
Country
Region
Hi,
Loomes Watch and Clockmakers of the World vol 2 gives :-
Biddle George Birmingham 1826-60. Thats all I have found at the moment.
Peter

Jeremy Woodoff

NAWCC Member
Jun 30, 2002
Brooklyn
Country
Region
Hello, and welcome to the message board! www.antiqueclockspriceguide.com has extensive illustrations of clocks, mostly but not entirely by American makers, and can be searched by maker's name and model name or any other feature in the description. You need to buy a paid subscription in order to get pricing information.

If you join the NAWCC you can borrow virtually every clock price guide ever written from the lending library at no cost except postage. These books are expensive to buy if not out of print.

John Hubby

Senior Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
Sep 7, 2000
The Woodlands, TX
Country
Region
Hi, I am from Australia and antique clocks over here are hard to come by. I have however just started to collect mantle clocks. My question is - what are some good sites to research different makers names and the clcoks they produced over the years. I have also just bought a grandfather clock. On the dial it has the name Geo. Biddle Birmingham... but I can't find anywhere on the web where this chap was a clockmaker & the years he produced clocks... can you help me at all. regards Tony
Tony, first of all welcome to the NAWCC Message Board, and thanks for posting your inquiry! Where are you located in Australia? I joined the NAWCC when living in the Sydney area a number of years ago and found there are many great folks there who are interested to help introduce newbies to our hobby and answer your questions. Here are some NAWCC chapter contacts that should help:

NAWCC First Australian Chapter 72, Sydney

NAWCC First Queensland Chapter 104, Brisbane

NAWCC Australian AHS Chapter 122, Melbourne

NAWCC Australia Capital Canberra Chapter 182, Canberra: Contact Roger Little, President, at addy46903@bigpond.com

Hope this will help, and keep us posted how you get along with your collecting hobby. Remember that this is where you can get answers to your questions, post them on the appropriate Forum and the experts will help you out.

jmclaugh

Jun 1, 2006
Devon
Country
Region
Welcome to the MB Tony. Loomes in his 21st C edition of Watch & Clockmakers lists a George Biddle working 1825-66 who was succeeded by his son-in-law who he says took his surname, both worked in Dale End Birmingham. You will find more of the information you refer to in books rather than on websites who tend to charge for such info but where you start depends on what specific area interests you the most. The site below for example gives British & Irish makers but you need to subscribe.

http://www.clockswatches.com/index.php

ajharko64

New User
Sep 14, 2009
Gawler, South Australia
Country
Region
Thanks very much for all the responses. You guys are very helpful and he information is much appreciated. Regards Tony
-> posts merged by system <-
Tony, first of all welcome to the NAWCC Message Board, and thanks for posting your inquiry! Where are you located in Australia? I joined the NAWCC when living in the Sydney area a number of years ago and found there are many great folks there who are interested to help introduce newbies to our hobby and answer your questions. Here are some NAWCC chapter contacts that should help:

NAWCC First Australian Chapter 72, Sydney

NAWCC First Queensland Chapter 104, Brisbane

NAWCC Australian AHS Chapter 122, Melbourne

NAWCC Australia Capital Canberra Chapter 182, Canberra: Contact Roger Little, President, at addy46903@bigpond.com

Hope this will help, and keep us posted how you get along with your collecting hobby. Remember that this is where you can get answers to your questions, post them on the appropriate Forum and the experts will help you out.
Thanks heaps for the info... I reside in gawler, south australia. Regards Tony

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ACBurke
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Swiss Fake by Kent