where can I get...and how to

F

fecit^im

where can I get a chuck that will hold drills
and would friction fit with a standard tailstock...peerless.
how do u mend those rubbery belt for the lathe?
thanks.

F

fecit^im

where can I get a chuck that will hold drills
and would friction fit with a standard tailstock...peerless.
how do u mend those rubbery belt for the lathe?
thanks.

Greg Crockett

Apr 13, 2001
First the easy one. The rubber belt is spliced by clamping in a vise a blade, such as a kitchen knife or a section of clock mainspring. Heat this blade with a torch. After the blade in your vise is nice and hot, the two ends of the belt are placed one on each side of the hot blade so that they melt slightly. When melted, pull them off the blade so that the ends join and melt one into the other. The excess is trimmed w/a razor blade.

So far as a drilling chuck.... That could be hard to get. The tapers for these various tail stock runners are not the same. I would suggest making-up a new runner with the proper Jacobs chuck taper to fit the smallest drill chuck you can find. That’s if you really need a chuck.....

A simple method of drilling in the lathe w/o a tail-stock chuck is as follows: Rest the end of the drill in a female center in the tail-stock runner. The point is then placed on the work held by the head stock. The female center is used to hold the drill central to the work as it is pushed forward by the runner. The item to be drilled must be pre-centered with the graver before drilling in order for this to work. To keep the drill from spinning hold it with a lathe dog or plier as it is pressed into the work. This is not only simple in application, but can also avoid braking the drill. Sometimes drills catch in the work and snap off. If the drill is held lightly as it is pressed into the work, it will spin in the jaws of the plier instead of breaking off, as it would do if held tightly in a chuck.

[This message was edited by Greg Crockett on December 13, 2002 at 11:07.]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Evocatas
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre