• The Bulletins and Marts are again available online. The network connectivity problem has been fixed. Thank you all very much for your patience.

Where can I find nutdrivers?

ticktock

Aug 24, 2004
Country
I am looking for two sets of nutdrivers for clocks. Both metric and american. Home Depot and places like that have nutdrivers which are much larger than the ones needed for clocks. Anyone have a source where I can locate these?
Thanks in advance.

ticktock

Aug 24, 2004
Country
I am looking for two sets of nutdrivers for clocks. Both metric and american. Home Depot and places like that have nutdrivers which are much larger than the ones needed for clocks. Anyone have a source where I can locate these?
Thanks in advance.

doug sinclair

Aug 27, 2000
Calgary, Alberta
Country
Region
LaRose has metric ones. As for SAE, you might want to check out a well equipped tool store for "ignition wrenches". Or maybe even a well equipped hobby shop.

ticktock

Aug 24, 2004
Country
Doug, I searched the larose catalog and could not locate the set. What page is it on and what is the part number?

doug sinclair

Aug 27, 2000
Calgary, Alberta
Country
Region
I just checked the LaRose catalog that I found the nut drivers in, and it is the 1999-2001 book, page 34, #062087. This assortment doesn't show up in their 2002-2004 book. However, check this out. It appears as though they show metric and Imperial sizes.

Jon Hanson

Golden Circle
Aug 24, 2000
Boston, Ma.
www.americanhorologe.com
Country
Region
but the best quality ones are probably from "Snap-On"

T

Tom Chaudoir

In my opinion, the Snap-on trademark is a status symbol among mechanics. The quality is certainly high, but the price is double or triple that of other companies. I know guys who buy Snap-on tool boxes, and then make payments just as if the box was a car or a house.

Snap-on has rolling showrooms that park at factories all over the country, and they know the time of your lunch break. That infrastructure is impressive, but has to cost big bucks. You pay for the tool, and for the air conditioned van.

I'm not knocking the company. The tools are a notch above most.If I wanted to impress my friends with the trademark...but I don't.

JMHO

Regards,

jep

May 1, 2004
The best way to go IMHO is to buy a 1/4" nutdriver handle which just has a 1/4" drive end on it, then you can buy 1/4" drive sockets in SAE from 5/32" and up and metric 1/4" drive sockets from 4mm and up. All this can be had at Sears and while the initial investement may be higher than a complete set, you can add unlimited combinations to this handle and drive anything that is 1/4" drive. Any of the quality brands will work well, but Craftsman is the most accessible and comes with a lifetime quarantee. Snap-on is also good but the price is outrageous and you have to wait for the truck to come around.

Jon Hanson

Golden Circle
Aug 24, 2000
Boston, Ma.
www.americanhorologe.com
Country
Region
Steve Berger of timesavers has the nut drivers you need. He is in Scottsdale, Arizona

Jon Hanson

Golden Circle
Aug 24, 2000
Boston, Ma.
www.americanhorologe.com
Country
Region
Snap on tools are the best in my opinion and there are ways to get discounts. Knock them all you want but they are American made (I still believe) and are fully guaranteed for a long , long time.

Many profrssionals use this brand, so they MUST have something going for them! Cheap tools are a waste, in my opinion, but one does not have to buy "the brand" tools box!

Brian C.

Jun 9, 2001
NH
Country
I had a used auto parts yard for years and the Snap-on truck stopped in my yard every week. I believe Snap-on tools are the best. I also like Craftsman tools but nothing fits your hand like a Snap-on tool.
Brian C.

D

Don Havens

All,

My problem is having a correct fit with nutdrivers. I normally work on older American or German made clocks, and nutdrivers do not fit the nuts very well. Some of this is due to the end of the nutdriver "socket" being rounded over and not contacting the very thin nuts well enough to turn them. I've corrected this by grinding down the end of the nutdriver so it is flat and square-faced and contacts all the sholder on the nut. Because of this , I have tended to use cheap nutdrivers for this type work although I own "Snap on", "Craftsman", and "Klein" tools and like all them.

The other problem I've encountered is that other repair people (I'm assuming this) have used pliers to loosen and tighten the nuts in the past, and now the nutdriver won't fit on the nut. I really hate to square-up the nuts with a file because of the chance of marking the plates with the file. Most of these nuts tend to not be any standard size, also.

Does anyone else have this (or these) experience? How do you handle it? Any advice or suggestions?

Don

Jerry Kieffer

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
May 31, 2005
wisconsin
Country
Don
I remove thin damaged nuts with a "End Cutter Pliers". This allows you to grab the nut at the very bottom with whatever pressure is needed and turn it without damage to the plate. The damaged nuts are then replaced after removal. Both sets of Metric and SAE Nutdrivers will help in some cases.

Jerry Kieffer

Jon Hanson

Golden Circle
Aug 24, 2000
Boston, Ma.
www.americanhorologe.com
Country
Region
Thanks Dave C., -- at least someone else here has the knowledge about the importance GOOD tools.

(My uncle was an inventor and as a youngster I fondly remember his benches of snap on tools which were used daily by his employees. He even had a color code for the various size individual ratchet handles for each size socket for speed in his business.)

D

Don Havens

Jerry,

I usually use my "parallel jaw" pliers (page 39 in LaRose) to remove those pesky little critters. Seems to work ok, but I'll remember your advice.

Thanks!!

Don

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Virginiarizk
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-