When is a 349 a Father Time

Discussion in 'American Pocket Watches' started by Mr.Pocketwatch, Aug 13, 2019 at 7:35 PM.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Mr.Pocketwatch

Mr.Pocketwatch Registered User

Jul 19, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Difference between Elgin 349 and Father Time.

Hello, I am new to collecting and I have a question regarding the difference if any between an Elgin 349 Model 7 Class 65 and an Elgin 349 that is marked Father Time. Is there any differences other than the name marked on the movement? The reason I ask is that I have often seen watches advertised as Father Time in a few auction sites and there was only the 349 marked on the movement. Is the Grade and the name Father Time interchangeable? Is the version marked Father Time more collectable or more scarce?

2. Rick Hufnagel

Rick Hufnagel Just Rick!
    NAWCC Member Donor Sponsor

Oct 25, 2018
    Male
    Plumber
    Pittsburgh pa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    349 is the grade.

Father Time is a name used to distinguish the quality of the movement. There are many grades that can carry the Father Time name.

To answer your question, if it doesn't say Father Time on it, technically it's not one.

3. Rick Hufnagel

Rick Hufnagel Just Rick!

Oct 25, 2018
    Male
    Plumber
    Pittsburgh pa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This is a great encyclopedia article about the Elgin national watch co.

A few paragraphs down is further explanation about grades vs. names. Probably easier to understand than what I said above!
    Elgin Watch Co.

4. musicguy

musicguy Moderator
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
    This answer from Rick sums it up. Unfortunately some ebay sellers say a lot of misleading things.

Rob

5. Mr.Pocketwatch

Mr.Pocketwatch Registered User

Jul 19, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thanks to all who answered my post, and special thanks to Rick for the informative article on Elgin grade vs names. I had a feeling the Elgin I was looking at was not a true Father Time although seller insisted it was.
    Sadly a lot of con artists on the auction sites.

6. Rick Hufnagel

Rick Hufnagel Just Rick!

Oct 25, 2018
    Male
    Plumber
    Pittsburgh pa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The thank you should go to the author of the article sir.

Also... As far as sellers go... If you are not familiar with Elgins grading and name system... When you look it up and it says "can be marked.for father Time or none"... Father Time sounds way better in a listing if they dont know whats what. So not every seller is shady, ignorance is bliss! It took me a while to understand models, grades, names, class. It can be confusing untill you spend some time on it.