When did Eatons start the 1/4 Century Club?

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by Paul Raposo, Jan 7, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Paul Raposo

Paul Raposo Registered User

Nov 4, 2005
    Cambridge, ON Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This morning I saw an Eatons 1/4 Century Club pocket watch with an Electa movement marked T. Eatons. It was in a Cashier gold filled case.

Gallet started shipping completed Electa movements to Eatons in 1890, based on this website:

Gallet and Electa Watches

2. D.th.munroe

D.th.munroe Registered User

Feb 15, 2018
    Male
    Full time clock and watchmaker
    BC Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Paul
    apparently 1919
    There was a book published on the 25th anniversary of the quarter century club with pictures of past quarter century club employees from 1919-1944
    Dan.

Paul Raposo likes this.
  3. Paul Raposo

Nov 4, 2005
    Cambridge, ON Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thank you for your reply and this info Dan, very much appreciated.

I always thought all the 1/4 CC watches were Rolex, this is the first time I've seen a non Rolex example.

4. Paul Raposo

Nov 4, 2005
    Cambridge, ON Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I forgot to ask a follow up question. When did Eatons start using Rolex exclusively for the Century Club watches?

5. D.th.munroe

D.th.munroe Registered User

Feb 15, 2018
    Male
    Full time clock and watchmaker
    BC Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That might be a harder question to answer.
    I have wondered if that book said anything about the watches they received or if the employees had a choice of wrist or pocket watches, there were rolex prince wristwatches as well.

I also hadn't heard of a non rolex/aegler 1/4 century watch until now.

Paul Raposo likes this.
  6. Paul Raposo

Nov 4, 2005
    Cambridge, ON Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    There's a copy of the book for sale online from an Ontario bookseller but it's $40 plus shipping and I can't swing any purchases right now. I am tempted though simply because of the history.

Some years back Larry Foord, (of the Uncle Larry website) did an appraisal on the Canadian Antiques Roadshow featuring a QCC Rolex Prince. I had the video on VHS tape somewhere.

The interesting thing is, the site I linked above has an old catalogue page that said the Electa movements were made to fit Dennison and American cases without modification. The watch case on the watch I saw is a gold filled Cashier but had no presentation engraving. Every QCC watch I've seen over the decades has had a presentation engraving.

Was the watch recased? Were the early watches presented without an engraving? Is this just an assembled watch the seller is trying to pass off as genuine?