wheels spokes

Discussion in 'Clock Construction' started by carloclock, Mar 10, 2014.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. carloclock

carloclock Registered User

Jul 15, 2009
    Male
    retired
    Beautiful Liguria -Italy
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    hallo All,
    above, the statement tok-tokkie made in the excellent thread "build a pendulum clock" by teslak ( Dieter).

Rowlings in his unique " the science of clocks and watches", somewhere states : this question....is typical of many horological problems. After centuries of experience there is not a definitive positive knowledge. A favour one shape...B favour another...most of the other people go on doing the same as most of the other people are doing...

Now, I guess there should be "nothing" to avoid ; everyone should be free to consider his choice as the most pleasant one and it looks like that even Dieter did( in the same thread ), for the wheel depicted in the first pictures has seven spokes and, later, a ( the? :)) wheel loose one spoke and only six are visible.

At 70 I guess that "should" should be used more often then "is" :)

Warmest regards from beautiful Liguria

Carlo

2. tok-tokkie

tok-tokkie Registered User

Nov 25, 2010
    Cape Town, South Africa
    Country Flag:
    Thanks. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I stated what looks good to me but it would be awful if everyne had to subscribe to the same taste.

In fact the thing to avoid, it seems to me, is to have spokes which are both radial and opposed. Here is a Honda VFR rear wheel which has 8 spokes but they are not radially disposed so it looks quite elegant to me.

Attached Files: