Whats your single favorite pocket watch in your collection?

Discussion in 'American Pocket Watches' started by 8x57mauser, Jul 15, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. NAWCC Login Function is Not Working. If you know your username and password for the Message Board, you can log in using the small login link at the upper right.
  1. RJSoftware

RJSoftware Registered User

Apr 15, 2005
    Male
    My favorite pocket watch is usually the one I fixed the most recent. (That is if it was mine). Once the victory charm has dissipated then I usually go back to my old Elgin key wind / key set. It's got all kinds of little issues, but it's a sweet chunky piece of metal. Feels good in my hand and is near always warm in my pocket.

2. Spartcom5

Spartcom5 Registered User

Feb 1, 2016
    This was my fifth pocket watch I think? Hamilton 946. My favorite because it was a pawn shop rescue and is one of Hamilton's finest pocket watches ever made! The picture is of me with the pocket watch open in the pawn shop. It had been there for 6 months and nobody had ever opened it because nobody knew how and everyone was gawking at the movement even I was when I saw 23 jewels.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

3. rolandantrobus

rolandantrobus Registered User

May 17, 2016
    I have the opposite problem, ie trying to find my least favourite watch!
    I've had to limit my collection (you all know why! Ha Ha) so if I see and buy another watch I have to pick my least favourite one and sell it. It used to be easy, some had issues but after many years of this it's difficult. I love them all.

4. John Cote

John Cote Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 26, 2000
    It gets harder and harder. The solution is to start buying more....so you can sell more... :chuckling:

5. PapaLouies

PapaLouies Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 14, 2010
    Hi richiec,

I've never seen a M.I. Tobias & Co. watch with an unsigned dial.

Regards, PL

6. RJSoftware

RJSoftware Registered User

Apr 15, 2005
    Male
    That Hamilton is sweet. Hamilton's generally are in my opinion. Looks like they have a whiplash type regulator like Illinois but not same. I can't tell how it regulates, but it looks to have an offset cam under center screw maybe.

Nice watch..!

7. John Pavlik

John Pavlik Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 30, 2001
    Male
    PL, There are some out there... case signed T & Co .. along with case maker..

8. Clint Geller

Clint Geller Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 12, 2002
    Sorry, I just noticed your earlier question in reviewing the thread.

I purchased the watch from another NAWCC member who had discovered the Harvard Memorial biography story I mentioned after he acquired the watch - lucky fellow.

9. Ethan Lipsig

Ethan Lipsig Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 8, 2006
    I could divide my collection into loved, cherished, tolerated, and troublesome categories, but I haven't a single favorite. Some of my watches fit into more than one category, such as the diamond-rimmed platinum Cartier watch shown below, which fits into at least the loved and troublesome categories.

I love it for its elegance, extreme thinness, and history. Its original owner was A.E. Lefcourt, who was the leading developer of skyscrapers in New York until he was wiped out in the depression. Many of his building still stand, such as the building shown below, which I believe is across the street from the main branch of the New York Public Library. I bought the watch from A.E. Lefcourt's elderly grandson.

The watch also if firmly esconced in my troublesome category because my watchmaker told me that the plates are so thin, the watch was nearly impossible to service. Worse yet, I live in fear of the mainspring breaking, because replacement mainsprings are seemingly impossible to get for ultra thin watches such as these.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

10. Scott Tzorfas

Scott Tzorfas Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Clint,
    What about the Howards in your collection? What are your favorite Howard watches that you own?
    Scott

11. PapaLouies

PapaLouies Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 14, 2010
    #31 PapaLouies, Jul 18, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
    I should have been a bit more precise and stated; I've never seen an M.I. Tobias & Co. full plate watch with an enamel dial and the set-up on the barrel bridge with an unsigned dial.

12. Clint Geller

NAWCC Member

Jul 12, 2002
    #32 Clint Geller, Jul 18, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
    Scott,

I had a very fine Howard collection once. I decide me to let them go. They all went to very good homes. Most went to good friends. I don't love them any less than I used to, but I decided to strike out in a new direction. I collect watches with Civil War combatant provenances now. Thus far, I haven't found any Howards with such a characteristic. I know they're out there, and I'll eventually find one. Of course, if I ever found Josiah Moorhouse's personal watch, I'd be a buyer. Think that's a pipe dream? Well, the Waltham dial room foreman, Edger Hull's personal watch showed up recently (and on a unique 14 Size rock crystal plate movement, no less!), so why not Moorhouse's watch?

13. guy0783

guy0783 Registered User

Jul 19, 2016
    I have to second Dave on this and go with my Illinois grade 105, also.

View attachment 350571

14. musicguy

musicguy Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 12, 2017
    It's truly interesting how peoples collecting evolves over time(I know mine has). You have
    moved from a collector of watches, to a Historian and author. Now you collect for different
    reasons, and motivations. Both different from your original chosen profession.
    Did pocket watches lead you to your interest in The Civil War, and
    reenactment's, or was that always a passion of yours.

Rob

15. Clint Geller

NAWCC Member

Jul 12, 2002
    The lousy grammar was a result of trying to post from my cell phone, while on vacation, away from my computer. Argh.

16. Clint Geller

NAWCC Member

Jul 12, 2002
    #36 Clint Geller, Jul 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
    Well, here goes, trying to post a coherent message from my cell phone again.

I have always been a big history buff, and being a physicist by profession, technological history was a natural nexus of the two. So watch collecting made perfect sense for me. I started as a Waltham and Howard collector. The AWCo and its predecessors are by far the most historically important line of manufacturers in American horology, whereas Howard products represent a unique, quirky, mistyque-laden amalgam of traditional craft elements and modern mass manufacturing concepts. At some point, I decided to sell my Walthams and focus on Howards. I did this for two reasons: first, a major Howard collection was breaking up and I had an inside track on buying the items I wanted out of it. Second, Waltham products were already a quite well plowed field, whereas Howard products were still relatively unknown and mysterious. (The Howard factory records, or most of them anyway, didn't become available for public access until 2002.). So I felt I could become a bigger player and make a bigger scholarly contribution in the Howard line.

But just over 20 years ago, I bought a Waltham PS Bartlett Grade Model 1857 at a local chapter meeting and when I got it home, I discovered that what I had thought were some particularly elaborate repairer's marks scratched into the rear cover turned out to be a miniature diary of the movements of a soldier in the Union Army of the Potomac during the Overland Campaign (aka Wilderness Campaign) of May-June, 1864. In researching the markings, I ended up reading Shelby Foote's celebrated three volume work on the Civil War, and I eventually published a short article on the watch in the BULLETIN.

That particular collecting interest then lay dormant for several years. Then, at some point I decided to begin placing my Howard collection among my friends, so I could continue to visit them from time to time. So for several years, I was still a horologist, but no longer a collector. But the collecting bug was only sleeping, it wasn't dead. So after I got done putting my daughter through the University of Pennsylvania in bioengineering, and then subsidizing her Masters degree at Tufts, I decided to start a modest collection again. (She is an MD-PhD candidate now, so she has a free ride with a modest stipend, but mom and dad still help her out. Yes, I'm a proud dad. Please forgive me.). I knew it was pointless to try and recreate my old Howard collection again, so I struck out in a new direction, offering new scholarly opportunities.

In the process of researching Civil War provenances, I have also ended up studying not only the Civil War itself, but the long road to disunion leading up to the war, and the sad history of reconstruction that followed it. I have found it a very rewarding endeavor. Other than the American Revolution itself, the Civil War was the single most important event in US history. It was the culmination of a long series of successive crises and increasingly desperate compromises that led up to it, and the war itself killed nearly 700,000 Americans and radically transformed the lives of many who survived. It's consequences, in Reconstruction, followed by the long night of Jim Crow, followed by desegregation, followed by many of the continuing struggles of the current period, are all directly traceable to its legacy. Even 150 years after its conclusion, the American Civil War is still shrouded in layers of romantic, politically charged myth, which shape popular understanding of it. So naturally, I find the whole subject irresistible.

17. GeneJockey

GeneJockey Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 2, 2012
    I haven't commented on this thread so far because I realized that I don't have a favorite watch, or rather that which one is my favorite is always changing. Sometimes, it's one that I've been wanting for a long time and finally got. Sometimes it's one I'd almost forgotten I owned. Sometimes, it's one I had to spend a lot of time and effort on.

One thing about doing your own servicing is that you get to know the watch more intimately, so that there's more to it than just what you see from the outside. This is especially true of the watches I bought as naked movements, then had to find a case for.

18. Scott Tzorfas

Scott Tzorfas Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Clint,
    Thank you for your very interesting and thoughtful explanation of your new endeavor with pocket watches. I wish you the best of luck. There was an important Howard pocket watch owned by Philo Remington (given to him by his employees). He sold small arms to the Union forces. There was a [FONT=&quot]large single rose-cut diamond topping the push and the case was just magnificent. It was sold at J&H for $16,500.00. I stopped bidding on it before that number! It was sold on 5/3/2015 and you can just search the archives to read about it. The watch really is exquisite.
    Scott[/FONT]

19. Clint Geller

NAWCC Member

Jul 12, 2002
    #39 Clint Geller, Jul 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
    Hi Scott, thank you sincerely for your good wishes. I'm well aware of the Remington Howard watch. I first held it in my hand about 27 years ago when it was in the collection of my friend, the late Dick Flaute of Columbus, OH. When he sold his collection I had bigger fish to fry, so it went up for auction at J&H. I was the back bidder on it that day. Since then it has changed hands once or twice more. The current owner has generously offered to lend the Remington watch to the Civil War watch exhibit I am organizing at the HQ Museum in 2019.

20. musicguy

musicguy Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 12, 2017
    This isn't really that serious a thread. I would believe that many of us can't necessarily
    pick one favorite. I know I can't. Sometimes my favorite watch is the last one I purchased(researched).
    And some of my favorite watches are in other peoples collection :cool:

Rob