What's up with Chinese mechanical pocket watches?

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by Elliott Wolin, Jan 11, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Elliott Wolin

Elliott Wolin Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 18, 2019
    Male
    Retired
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I see ads on e.g. eBay all the time for new Chinese mechanical pocket watches, and they are not expensive.

Does anyone know anything about them? Are they decent quality or junk?

2. Rick Hufnagel

Rick Hufnagel Just Rick!
    NAWCC Member Donor Sponsor

Oct 25, 2018
    Male
    Plumber
    Pittsburgh pa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Junk

Hands falling off, mainsprings breaking, not running or very poor time keeping.

Every once in a while you may get lucky and catch a good one. So if you order, get three of them and hope you get one that works, then return the other two.

Personal experience from putzing around with them a few years ago.

3. jess tauber

jess tauber Registered User

Dec 24, 2017
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Are we talking about the PRC, or Taiwan? When the PRC first got involved in the commercial amateur telescope business, they replaced good-quality parts (such as metal. lenses and mirrors) with poor ones, which dropped the prices substantially for the unsuspecting consumer, but ruined the experience for a great many children expecting to actually see sharp images of the moon, stars, and things like Jupiter's moons or Saturn's rings, etc., which turned an entire generation off to the hobby. Luckily for us collecting pocketwatches the lack of demand has other causes, but if you really want to get a nice one, or gift one to a friend or loved one, I'd steer clear of these cheap knockoffs and go with a vintage or antique specimen- there are plenty of inexpensive, working models out there.

Jess Tauber

4. pmwas

pmwas Registered User

Dec 12, 2010
    Sosnowiec, Poland
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    From my experience (based on wristwatches, though), cheap Chinese watches are very bad (not just bad) and expensive Chinese watches are good. In a nutshell :)

5. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Expensive as in how much? I bought one i think for 30 dollars and it turned out not bad.