• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

What's the longest you've waited to get your auction item shipped?

RAK

NAWCC Member
Jun 22, 2004
Beautiful State of Virginia
Country
Region
Ok, at this stage it is still "just good fun" but I won a clock in an auction on September 30th, paid promptly and picked one of the recommended shippers and now it's October 14th with very little by way of idea when this item will face the "Trial By Mail" of shipping.

Anybody out there have a good story (hopefully that ends well) of a long wait to get your auction item? Just curious. I'm guessing international purchases call for some Real patience.

Bob

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
Have you reached out to the auction house? And, is it an international purchase?

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
Were there any specifics related to shipping included with the auction listing? One auction company from whom I purchased a non-horological item, required a series of steps for shipped items. The process was not quick, nor was it inexpensive. As I recall, it took a couple of emails and a couple of calls, all with wait periods between them, before it was finally shipped. Like Bruce, I'd recommend reaching out to the auction house by phone or email if you haven't already.

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
we just build a website for an auction house and there are anywhere from 500 - 2500 lots per auction... i could easily see it taking extra time to work through that many process-pack-and-ship items.

they're just an email away.... :)

zedric

NAWCC Member
Aug 8, 2012
Country
Region
I was the successful bidder on an item on the 17th July. The auction house (a seemingly reputable one in Paris) sent me an invoice, and I attempted to pay, but couldn't as they hadn't sent the correct details for international payment. Any attempt at contacting the auction house since then has failed... So not necessarily waiting for shipping, but still a while. I recently sent them a note saying if they didn't contact me about payment I would consider the matter closed.

DeanT

Mar 22, 2009
Australia
Country
Region
I was the successful bidder on an item on the 17th July. The auction house (a seemingly reputable one in Paris) sent me an invoice, and I attempted to pay, but couldn't as they hadn't sent the correct details for international payment. Any attempt at contacting the auction house since then has failed... So not necessarily waiting for shipping, but still a while. I recently sent them a note saying if they didn't contact me about payment I would consider the matter closed.
Frequently, i've had a similar argument with British auction houses which bank with Barclays who have changed their international IBAN's and Swift codes seemingly without telling their customers. This has happened 4 or 5 times.

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Pineville, La. (central La.)
Country
Region
I ordered some pin vices on Aug 3. Still don’t have them. Didn’t realize they were from China. Tracking says in route and expected arrival is Oct 20. We’ll see! Feedback will not be good.

RAK

NAWCC Member
Jun 22, 2004
Country
Region
In this case, I just talked to the auction house yesterday. They stood by the recommended shipper saying that the auction have over 650 lots and they were probably still working through the backlog along with there regular traffic. I did talk to the shipper a week ago and he had just picked up the item. I also sent specifics as to how I wanted it shipped (don't put parts like the pendulum inside the clock case, etc.) so maybe they put mine aside for later consideration. Who knows. Right now I'm not that worried. I would expect at some point, at least by next week they get to it... oh, the waiting game.

Bob

Reactions: PatH

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
It may be worth a little wait if it means they provide special consideration for your requests. I was fortunate that what I had purchased wasn't breakable, but clocks/watches are a different story! Looking forward to seeing your newest acquisition when it arrives.

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
We bought a table to do jigsaws on during shielding at auction in late Feb, we eventually received it at the end of August. That's not usual, that's Covid.

RAK

NAWCC Member
Jun 22, 2004
Country
Region
Enough squawkin' on my part. The shipping company contacted me this afternoon and the box will probably ship tomorrow. After that, I hope the gentle handing folks will be delivering it. I absolutely want the glass door to survive. When it arrives I will be very happy to share a photo or two. I'll leave out what it is till I have some photos. Spoiler alert, there is some advertising on the glass door... surprised?

Bob

Reactions: PatH

THTanner

NAWCC Member
Jul 3, 2016
Carson City, Nevada
Country
Region
I recently bought a complete French clock just before the COVID mailing shutdown in France. Unless I wanted to pay an extra 65 dollars for special handling they could not ship the clock. I finally got it in the middle of August.

DeanT

Mar 22, 2009
Australia
Country
Region
A year or two....I have friend who kindly houses them while so them are restored by a few other friends in the UK and build up to a big enough parcel to ship across the world. For this I am very grateful. I couldn't even remember buying some of the items in the last parcel when it arrived so it was like lucky dip.

Cheers

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
A year or two....I have friend who kindly houses them while so them are restored by a few other friends in the UK and build up to a big enough parcel to ship across the world. For this I am very grateful. I couldn't even remember buying some of the items in the last parcel when it arrived so it was like lucky dip.

Cheers
I felt pretty sure you would hold the record!

RAK

NAWCC Member
Jun 22, 2004
Country
Region
Yeah! It is a Waterbury #28 wall clock. It arrived the day after it was shipped and to my delight the clock was packed well and the glass survived in great, if not dirty, as found, shape.

The interesting thing is that I was worried about the glass and assumed the rest of the clock would be A-OK. That's what makes these purchases fun. So I carefully peeled off the layers of bubble wrap and as I was getting to the end I started getting that funny felling "that somethin' ain't right". As I take the last bit of wrap off the bottom of the clock falls off! Like the whole bottom. Didn't see that coming based on the photos or description from the auction catalog. No harm done really. It will take a little lining up of the old nails and some hide glue but it should be back in order in a couple days. So after that revelation I was going to move the clock and grab the it by the top... which also proceeded to start separating from the body of the clock. I stopped in time to not have that fall off but apparently I will need to look at all glue joints on this one before it gets on the wall.

All that being said, I like double dial clocks and this was a great opportunity to add what I consider a handsome one to my collection. Can't wait till it's back together so that I can find out if the movement is any good ;-)

Bob

WBY3.JPG View attachment 618140

WBY1.JPG

Last edited:

Chris Radano

Feb 18, 2004
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
Congratulations! Sounds like a very "untouched" antique clock!
If that clock came from the auction I think it did, it was right down the road from us.

Vernon

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2006
Country
Region
BEAUTIFUL!

RAK

NAWCC Member
Jun 22, 2004
Country
Region
Thanks all, I really like it a lot and can't wait to finish putting it back together and get it running.

BTW Chris, if you are referring to a certain auction house in Phoenixville, PA you are absolutely correct!

Bob

clocks4u

NAWCC Member
Sep 2, 2000
Oregon
Country
Region
Great glass!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member