What watches were approved by the C&O and B&O?

Discussion in 'American Pocket Watches' started by lak611, Sep 2, 2008.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. lak611

lak611 Registered User

Mar 28, 2008
    student studying IT
    Cleveland, OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I am particularly interested in the Chesapeake & Ohio and Baltimore & Ohio railroads since I am from Cleveland, Ohio.

Does anyone have any records that show the watches approved by these roads throughout their history?

2. Jim Haney

Jim Haney Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor

Sep 21, 2002
    Male
    Working the farm, Garden,horses, goats, chickens,
    Decatur, TN.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Laura,
    In the early days(1860-1890) the railroads just tried to set minimum standards for watches. Example, 15J or Lever set etc. This information was passed on to their inspectors ( many were jewelers in local towns along the route). and timing requirements were hit and miss until Ball started setting standards and organized the railroads into a standard time inspection service.

Later on railroads did specify certain model from the various companies, as these models meet their standards. Ex. Vanguard, Bunn Special, etc.

I believe you are asking why some watches have the B&O or C&O on the movements? Correct?

As far as I know, these were jewelers watches ordered from the companies with the RR company on the watch like a Private label watch would be ordered.

Kent Singer gave a presentation on time keeping standards by various companies at the Chattanooga show and has given it at the Symposium also and would be the person to answer your question fully.

3. Kent

Kent Registered User
    Gibbs Literary Award NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Silver Member

Aug 26, 2000
    Country Flag:
    To clarify a little of what Jim wrote, railroad time service rules evolved continuously from at least as early as the 1840s through the twentieth century.

Ball's real contirbution was the requirement that watches be brought to the inspector twice a month for verification of their comparison record. When a railroader (one who fell under time service rules) reported to work, he had tocompare his/her watch against a standard clock and record the results (+15, +17, -3, etc.) on a chart on a form that was carried. Every two weeks this would have to be presented to the inspector who would approve the watch for the next two weeks (or not).

You can compare [colour=red]Giles, Bro. & Co.'s 1887 Wabash Western Rules[/colour] against [colour=red]Ball's 1891 LS&MS - 1[/colour] and [colour=red]Ball's 1891 LS&MS - 2[/colour] and see how similar they are except for the two week comparison and the requirement for adjustment (C.K. Giles was hung up on anti-magnetically shielded cases - of which he was a patentee). Don't let the lack of an adjustment requirement throw you, mostly the same watches were probably used on both roads.

The requirements for the B&O and C&O would have probably been the same and they would have probably accepted most (if not all) of the same watches.

4. lak611

lak611 Registered User

Mar 28, 2008
    student studying IT
    Cleveland, OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Actually, my question did not relate to the private labels. I have seen time standards for the Union Pacific posted here on this board. I was interested in the B&O and C&O time standards, since those roads came through Cleveland, whereas the UP did not.

5. M. Cross

M. Cross Registered User

Nov 18, 2002
    Distance Education
    Tennessee
    Region Flag:
    Re: What watches were approved by the C&O and B&O?

I recently read a claim that Rockford produced a C&O special order in a model 9 grade 930 17J before WW1.

Regards! Mark