What type mainspring suitable for Jauch wall clock triple chime movement?

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by fiz_pndm, Dec 24, 2011.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. fiz_pndm

fiz_pndm Registered User

Dec 10, 2010
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
    Country Flag:
    Hi, need some help and information

What type mainspring suitable for Jauch triple chime movement?
    My clock movement mainspring has been broke, time and strike train.
    Chime train looks okay.
    Please share me how to replace mainspring?
    What's tool will need to replace the mainspring?

I will appreciate it.

2. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Tough questions :) You need to remove the springs from the barrels. That requires a mainspring winder. There are other ways, but a winder is the safest. Then you'll need to measure the length, width and thickness of the spring. After that you can order one from Timesavers or any of the usual suppliers. Get American made. The ones from India are crap. Clean the good ones really well - use #0000 steel wool if they are really dirty, then rinse and dry. Lube with Slick 50 One Lube (available at Ace hardware, and other automotive suppliers) and put back in the barrels. You'll have to spread the plates to get to the barrels, so if this is your first repair you probably shouldn't try this one yourself. But .... I can't remember for sure, but there's a chance that you can get the mainspring barrels out without splitting the plates. On the front, remove the screw that holds the ratchet cover in place. Remove the cover and ratchet (note the direction of the teeth) and see if you can pull the winding square out of the barrel. If so, the barrel will just slip out of the movement.