What Tower Clocks do you have in your collection

Discussion in 'Tower, Monumental & Street Clocks' started by Stotman, Jan 30, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Stotman

Stotman Registered User

Nov 19, 2014
    Country Flag:
    Whether it is 1 or 100 let us know what tower or street clocks are in your collection. Pictures would also be great.

I have a Seth Thomas #6, a Seth Thomas #2 and an Edward Korfhage & Sons Tower Clock

2. Kinpol

Kinpol Registered User

Aug 31, 2010
    art and clocks conservator
    Poland
    Country Flag:
    Pictures?

3. FDelGreco

FDelGreco Registered User
    NAWCC Star Fellow Sponsor NAWCC Diamond Member

Aug 28, 2000
    Male
    Retired chemical engineer
    Novelty, OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have three tower clocks in my living room. A mid-19th century German three train quarter-striker by C. F. Rochlitz of Berlin; an 1880s Viennese three train quarter-striker by Rudof Gschurtz; and my own reproduction of a time and strike wood works tower clock that I won first place and the people's choice award at the 2010 national convention craft competition. The original is in the American Clock & Watch Museum in Bristol CT. All three have one meter pendulums.

In my front foyer I have a late 17th or very early 18th century wrought iron three train quarter-striker with end-to-end winding drums. It has a 60" pendulum and a 24 tooth escape wheel. All wheels appear to be hand cut.

In my upper foyer (balcony) I have an 1894 Scottish time-only tower clock by Ross & Son, Glasgow. It has a 45" pendulum. It came out of a courthouse in Scotland.

In my dining room I have an English flatbed time-only tower clock, late 1800s, but maker unknown. It has a ~45" pendulum.

At the top of my stairs to the second floor is a time-only English tower clock by John Smith & Sons, late 1800s with a one meter pendulum.

Finally, in my spare room is a chime unit from a three-piece clock by Schneider of Schonach, Germany,19th or 20th century. He made tower clocks in three and four separate units (buy what you want or could afford): a time unit, a strike unit, and two types of chime units, all that could be connected by operating rods.

I have an John Smith clock in my basement that I need to work on and restore.

Did I mention that I have a very understanding wife? <grin>

Frank

4. ElectricTime

ElectricTime Registered User
    NAWCC Business

Sep 28, 2002
    A Howard #2 a Stevens of the same size - and two small electric howard post clock movements and a moderate collection of 1900-Present electric tower clock movements.

lots of electric tower clocks in production :)

5. Stotman

Stotman Registered User

Nov 19, 2014
    Country Flag:
    We would all love to see pictures of the clocks you guys have.

6. Fitzclan

Fitzclan Registered User

Jul 20, 2014
    Male
    Long Island, New York
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Wow! Impressive to say the least. Private collectors have saved many a piece of history otherwise lost to the economic times or plain old apathy. Nice!

7. doug sinclair

doug sinclair Registered User

Aug 27, 2000
    Calgary, Alberta
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Regrettably, I have to collect pictures of tower clocks! Between the ones I have visited and photographed, and my generous friends who know of my interest in tower clocks, I have a collection that I am proud of. My wife tolerates my watch collecting, but tower clocks? Not going to happen any time soon!

When the NAWCC tower clock tour happened in 2000, we visited one collector who had easily a dozen in his living room, and others placed throughout his house. PLUS, he collected huge cider presses. His wife told me that it is HIM who dusts the tower clocks!

8. Rick Alhadeff

Rick Alhadeff Registered User

Feb 11, 2004
    watch/clock service/repair
    Honolulu
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    My "Collection"

Well, here are my two: The first is a Korfhage time/strike movement c.1925(?). The next two pictures are of the same clock. No maker found. All iron, including the escape wheel. Maybe mid 1700's(?). The Korfhage has been a nice window piece for the workshop. Both great conversation pieces. Turret clocks are my favorite types of clocks. Skeleton-ized clocks a close second.:cool:

DSCF0089.jpg DSCF2046.jpg DSCF2048.jpg

9. Rick Alhadeff

Feb 11, 2004
    Honolulu
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Re: My "Collection"

This post was meant to be posted in "What tower clocks do you have in your collection". Sorry, pushed the wrong button.

10. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

No problem Rick. It is now where you meant it to be.

11. Rick Alhadeff

Feb 11, 2004
    Honolulu
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Oh, Thanks very much!

12. Rick Alhadeff

Feb 11, 2004
    Honolulu
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Beautiful work on the restored clocks! I have a Korfhage clock that is similar to yours - only the pilot dial is different and mine doesn't have the rewind motor. Where are you displaying them - in your home or workshop?

13. Stotman

Stotman Registered User

Nov 19, 2014
    Country Flag:
    I have a finished basement and I have two clocks in the basement. The Korfhage is in the garage. I plan on moving to the basement soon.

please post some pics of your clock.

14. Rick Alhadeff

Feb 11, 2004
    Honolulu
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I did post pictures up above on 2/11/15. I can take some better pics of the Korfhage - that one was just one I had handy.

15. Stotman

Stotman Registered User

Nov 19, 2014
    Country Flag:
    Yep, my mistake.

it looks great.