• The Bulletins and Marts are again available online. The network connectivity problem has been fixed. Thank you all very much for your patience.

What to do about punched pivot holes?

Elliott Wolin

NAWCC Member
Nov 18, 2019
Williamsburg, Virginia
Country
Region
The few times I've come across punched pivot holes, usually one or three punches, the hole was no good and I rebushed. But now I see one that is punched but appears to be in otherwise in good condition, i.e. round and correct size.

I'm tempted to drill out the abomination and rebush anyway, but I'm wondering if anyone just leaves them the way they are if they look good?

Altashot

Oct 12, 2017
Country
In my opinion, if it has been punched, it’s not good, there was obviously a problem there for someone to punch it in the first place.
I’d bush it.

M.

JimmyOz

Feb 21, 2008
Gold Coast Qld
Country
Region
Punching pivot holes was the norm in the past, today we bush. If the pivot hole in your movement is good I would leave it, if you start to bush every punched plate you come across you will be bushing the whole plate on some movements.

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Pineville, La. (central La.)
Country
Region
When a hole is punched, only the outer portion of the hole is closed and the lower is still oblong. It just makes sense that a punched hole will not last long because only the outer portion of the pivot touches the outer part of the hole. If rebushed, the pivot touches the entire bushing ID. In my opinion, that is more important than how bad the punches look. I bush them.

JimmyOz

Feb 21, 2008
Gold Coast Qld
Country
Region
Punching pivot holes was the norm in the past, today we bush. If the pivot hole in your movement is good I would leave it, if you start to bush every punched plate you come across you will be bushing the whole plate on some movements.
Maybe I did not explain that as well as I could have;

What the OP is saying, he wants to take 'out' the punch marks, of course you would bush the plate , however, to take the punch marks out you would need a large bush on every pivot hole. Think of a antique GF, you do a normal bush that fits the pivot, however, to get rid of the punch marks it would need a very large bush, if you don't make your own then a bush in a bush.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I agree with bushing. That will clean up most of the punching marks. Whatever remains is part of the clocks history and would not concern me much.

Reactions: Altashot

R. Croswell

Apr 4, 2006
Trappe, Md.
www.greenfieldclockshop.com
Country
Region
The last person to work on the clock often takes the blame for everything that was done before. Bush the punched holes and it will look much better and last longer than the punched hole. Bush in a bush works OK if done carefully - use longer bushings and leave the bushings a little proud on both sides and dress them flush and form a new oil sink and no one will ever know there are two bushings in the hole. They may not even recognize that the hole has been bushed at all if you dress it well.

Bergeon bushings usually have a larger diameter and will frequently cover all or part of the punch markings. Even if some evidence of punching remains, these larger bushings will usually hold their shape and stay in place if the reamed hole is correctly sized. And the next person will realize that you at least attempted to clean up the mess.

RC

MARK A. BUTTERWORTH

NAWCC Life Member
NAWCC Member
Jul 4, 2009
Muscatine, Iowa 52761
Country
Region
Is there a problem bushing the whole plate?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pilotken
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-