What to Call This German Wall Clock

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by Marvin Raulston, Sep 13, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Marvin Raulston

NAWCC Member

May 23, 2018
    Male
    Retired
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    If it had weights, it would be called a 3-wt Vienna regulator. No weights though.
    It has three springs, in barrels securely screwed to the front plate.
    Is there a name, or other ID for this movement? It has a five-digit serial number, but nothing else.
    ---m

DSCN5966.JPG

2. new2clocks

new2clocks Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Apr 25, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    To id the movement, we would need to see the back of the movement. This, along with the picture you provided, may allow some of the contributors to this board to identify the maker of the movement, if it is unmarked.

Without much to go on, I assume that the proper name of the clock is a spring driven, time, strike and chime Vienna style wall clock.

Regards.

3. Marvin Raulston

NAWCC Member

May 23, 2018
    Male
    Retired
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here are additional photos.
    Thanks for the information!!

DSCN5967.JPG DSCN5969.JPG DSCN5968.JPG

4. Walt Wallgren

Walt Wallgren Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 16, 2012
    Bay Area, California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Marvin,
    This is interesting. I've never seen a movement with the housing of the spring barrel mounted to the plate before. If you were to undo the 2 screws and remove the gong bracket we might get a better look at the rear plate. And maybe a better shot of the front plate. Straight on close photos are the best. You also may want to include some pictures of the entire clock including the dial. On movements like this where there is no logo, sometimes the smallest clue will reveal the maker and sometimes you just never know.

Somebody has to have seen one like this before, it just isn't me. The key points for getting an ID are the round shape, the secured barrels, and the unusual design of the beat adjuster.

Regards,
    Walt

5. John Arrowood

John Arrowood Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 14, 2001
    I have an Austrian clock with similar barrels/boxes for the quarter and hour strike trains. The time train has a weight to power it. The clock runs for about 30 hours. The dial is marked with a name and the city of Graz on the dial. The bracket for the gongs also attaches to the back plate and has Vienne (Vienna) cast into it. There are pictures of it posted on the MB but I don't know how to link to them. I couldn't find any way to release the click and let down the springs; I think the clicks etc are inside the boxes with the springs. My movement is attached to a wood baseboard which slides into two strips on the case.

6. Marvin Raulston

NAWCC Member

May 23, 2018
    Male
    Retired
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    John, I took this one apart about 20 years ago and believe the springs are let down after you take the plates apart.
    Walt, I am posting a couple more photos, but not one of the case yet; meanwhile, I will say that it looks pretty much like most German wall clock cases from the 1880s. And there has not been another movement in the case!
    David LaBounty said this of the movement: “The photos you sent are of a Grand Sonnerie Wien (Vienna) movement. These are very early and date from the late 1700s to the early 1800s.”

DSCN5974.JPG DSCN5975.JPG DSCN5973.JPG

7. JTD

JTD Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 27, 2005
    The dial you show has the name of Ullrich Lajos (Hungarian name, Ludwig Ullrich in German) and the town Pozsony (Hungarian for Bratislava, capital of modern day Slovakia, Pressburg in German).

I am confused about which movement we are talking about. The Ullrich Lajos dial, doesn't look specially early to me. But perhaps I am misunderstanding something.

JTD

8. Marvin Raulston

NAWCC Member

May 23, 2018
    Male
    Retired
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I think the clock was sold by Mr. Lajos from his (?) store in Pozsony which I think I read was once the capitol of Hungary; now Bratislava; and this former Hungarian area is now Slovakia.
    I obtained the clock along with some others from Budapest about forty-five years ago. How long it hung in Budapest I don't know; it may very well have made its way from Bratislava to Budapest then to me in western Europe.
    As I recall this type of dial -with a narrow chapter ring- came after the solid porcelain dials and before the two-piece dials with wider chapter rings. Perhaps someone here knows when the narrow ring was popular; I do not recall.
    However, the round movement has this dial, and was the only movement installed in the case. I shall try to find a place to hang the case, and post a photo of it; it is unremarkable. The top is not original to the case.
    Seriously doubt I've cleared up much.

DSCN5976.JPG DSCN5978.JPG